RCL Stock!

I'm not a stockbroker, but if you've been thinking about buying RCL stock for the stockholder discount, the stock is lower than it's been for a year.

I own the stock, and while in general I am a buy for the long term and hold good stocks kind of guy, buying stock because it is at a yearly low and believing that it is a no brainer is discounting the fact that it can go lower. The past performance of the stock is only one indicator of a stocks value. Ignoring the high costs of fuel and expenses coupled with a possible economic downturn is to ignore why it is at a yearly low, and if it was my money I would wait til I have a bit more confidence that it is turning around.

If you cruise a lot (ie multiple times a year) then perhaps it is an almost no-brainer.

jc

Are you looking at the stock for its investment potential or are you merely expecting to cruise RCI frequently enough to make the OBC that you will get from owning 100 shares of RCI stock worthwhile? If financial investment is your primary interest you should really talk to a qualified financial advisor before doing anything. If, however, your intent is primarily to qualify for those OBCs, and purchase of the stock will not create a hardship for you, go ahead and purchase the stock and don't pay a lot of attention to whether the stock price is up or down. If you hold onto the stock long enough it may well return to higher levels but I don't think, recession or not, that RCI is likely to go out of business anytime soon. Even in the worst recessions most people still vacation, and as long as cruising is viewed as a bargain compared to many other vacation options, RCI and other lines will continue to make a profit.:)

I don't own any yet. I called a broker Monday about buying some because I had seen the price. He said that his company had done a lot of research and at this time RCI was the only cruise line that they would invest in. He did clarify however that the downward trend was likely to stay for a while and he did not suggest buying at this time.

Interesting discussion ............ but ............. I bought the stock about 30 cruises ago. The OBC has now paid for the stock. Whatever I sell it for doesn't really matter at this point. It's kinda like free! If you cruise and have the stock you get a significant dividend every time you cruise. It's not for "investment" it's for fun. Enjoy :)

RCCL Shareholder Benefit

Frequently Asked Questions

:confused: NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A host of well-known companies are leaving themselves open to shareholder lawsuits because they're not telling investors enough about how much they contribute to global warming or what it might cost them to clean up, according to a recent report.

But the companies most exposed to lawsuits aren't the big utilities but a cadre of less obvious firms.

The corporate governance research group the Corporate Library ranked companies that both emit lots of carbon - either directly or through their major parts suppliers - and those that produce more emissions than their peers.

"The purpose of the study was to put up some red flags and say there are some things that look disturbing in our data," said Beth Young, a Corporate Library researcher and author of the report.

Toycompany Hasbro (HAS), fiber-optic maker Corning (GLW, Fortune 500), railroad Burlington Northern (BNI, Fortune 500), Royal Caribbean (RCL) cruise line and lawn and garden company Scotts Miracle-Grow (SMG) all scored below average in the report, while most utilities and other big emitters of carbon dioxide - who have long detailed their emissions and potential costs for cleaning them up in financial filings - scored better.

The firms that ranked below averageare at greater risk of shareholder lawsuits if and when a cap on carbon dioxide emissions is passed, the report said.

Since there are currently no federal laws restricting these emissions, there have been no suits of this type filed to date.

But lawyers say it's certainly a possibility, especially if a company's stock stumbles if expensive upgrades are mandated.

:confused: NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A host of well-known companies are leaving themselves open to shareholder lawsuits because they're not telling investors enough about how much they contribute to global warming or what it might cost them to clean up, according to a recent report.

But the companies most exposed to lawsuits aren't the big utilities but a cadre of less obvious firms.

The corporate governance research group the Corporate Library ranked companies that both emit lots of carbon - either directly or through their major parts suppliers - and those that produce more emissions than their peers.

"The purpose of the study was to put up some red flags and say there are some things that look disturbing in our data," said Beth Young, a Corporate Library researcher and author of the report.

Toycompany Hasbro (HAS), fiber-optic maker Corning (GLW, Fortune 500), railroad Burlington Northern (BNI, Fortune 500), Royal Caribbean (RCL) cruise line and lawn and garden company Scotts Miracle-Grow (SMG) all scored below average in the report, while most utilities and other big emitters of carbon dioxide - who have long detailed their emissions and potential costs for cleaning them up in financial filings - scored better.

The firms that ranked below averageare at greater risk of shareholder lawsuits if and when a cap on carbon dioxide emissions is passed, the report said.

Since there are currently no federal laws restricting these emissions, there have been no suits of this type filed to date.

But lawyers say it's certainly a possibility, especially if a company's stock stumbles if expensive upgrades are mandated.

For those of you who are not quite smart enough to realize, that global warming is just the new home for the anti-capitalist people in society. Hopefully, people will wake up before our economic system is destroyed by them and the slip and fall trial lawyers.

jc

We've been contemplating purchasing 100 shares of RC stock for several months now. With it being so low, we are going to purchase tomorrow, and we will receive the $50. OBC for our B2B on the Enchantment, and $200. OBC for our Jewel panama cruise in nov/08. We have the extra money to invest at this point, and it would be for the long haul for us. We have been cruising at least once a year on RC, so we feel it would be a good investment for us. We plan to cruise for a very long time into the future, and will get the OBC probably at least once a year. We also have the RC Visa card, and redeem money this way too. We currently have over 60,000 points on our card to use in the future. We don't usually gamble with our money, or play in the stock market, but this makes sense to us to go ahead and have the 100 shares. Any feedback from others would be appreciated.

Our financial advisor agrees that it is a good time to buy the stock at this time.

For those of you who are not quite smart enough to realize, that global warming is just the new home for the anti-capitalist people in society. Hopefully, people will wake up before our economic system is destroyed by them and the slip and fall trial lawyers.

jc

I agree 100%. I remember back in the 70's all the talk was about global cooling.

I think the OBC for stock is granted each year (in May) and is not guaranteed to happen. So buying the stock on the premise you will always get an OBC is not a good idea. You get one today but may not next year or the year after that.

Mike

I just bought some yesterday due to a combination of it's price falling and that I have a 14 night cruise coming up (so will get $250 OBC). Wish I would have bought today instead of yesterday, but not big deal. If it gets too cheap, maybe Carnival will buy it up! :D

Interesting discussion ............ but ............. I bought the stock about 30 cruises ago. The OBC has now paid for the stock. Whatever I sell it for doesn't really matter at this point. It's kinda like free! If you cruise and have the stock you get a significant dividend every time you cruise. It's not for "investment" it's for fun. Enjoy :)

RCCL Shareholder Benefit

Frequently Asked Questions

Ditto for us!

I own the stock, and while in general I am a buy for the long term and hold good stocks kind of guy, buying stock because it is at a yearly low and believing that it is a no brainer is discounting the fact that it can go lower. The past performance of the stock is only one indicator of a stocks value. Ignoring the high costs of fuel and expenses coupled with a possible economic downturn is to ignore why it is at a yearly low, and if it was my money I would wait til I have a bit more confidence that it is turning around.

If you cruise a lot (ie multiple times a year) then perhaps it is an almost no-brainer.

jc

Well, since this is a cruise discussion board, not an investment discussion board, I guess I assumed that this would be of interest to the many, many people who have started/posted on many threads asking questions and showing interest in purchasing RCL stock in order to gain OBC. I indicated I’m not a financial advisor so as not to indicate to anyone that this may be a good investment.. It was just a head’s up for whatever anybody wanted to make of it.

Well, since this is a cruise discussion board, not an investment discussion board, I guess I assumed that this would be of interest to the many, many people who have started/posted on many threads asking questions and showing interest in purchasing RCL stock in order to gain OBC. I indicated I’m not a financial advisor so as not to indicate to anyone that this may be a good investment.. It was just a head’s up for whatever anybody wanted to make of it.

I posted the same thing about the RCL stock price over the weekend, and basically got called an ass for spending other people's money...

You got of easy, so far

We've been contemplating purchasing 100 shares of RC stock for several months now. With it being so low, we are going to purchase tomorrow, and we will receive the $50. OBC for our B2B on the Enchantment, and $200. OBC for our Jewel panama cruise in nov/08. We have the extra money to invest at this point, and it would be for the long haul for us. We have been cruising at least once a year on RC, so we feel it would be a good investment for us. We plan to cruise for a very long time into the future, and will get the OBC probably at least once a year. We also have the RC Visa card, and redeem money this way too. We currently have over 60,000 points on our card to use in the future. We don't usually gamble with our money, or play in the stock market, but this makes sense to us to go ahead and have the 100 shares. Any feedback from others would be appreciated.

Our financial advisor agrees that it is a good time to buy the stock at this time.

Debbie, not sure if you are aware of this but if your doing a B2B you will get an OBC for both sailings, make sure you include both booking numbers when you request your OBC. Now is a good time to buy RCL if you’re in for the OBC, we bought in Aug of 06 at $33.00 and have received $700.00 in OBC, not a bad return so far. Here is another plus the OBC is not subject to taxes and the RCL stock credits also apply to Celebrity, Azamara & Pullmantur sailings. I bought online and avoided the brokerage fees.

jc

Have the trial lawyers gotten bored with destroying our medical system or are they good at multi-tasking and going after multiple systems simultaneously?

Archived