Cruises beat Cancun all inclusive anyday

rjf32

Just got back from Cancun and we stayed at an all inclusive resort and I just want to say that our trips on Royal Carribean were 100 times better than our trip to Cancun. The food and entertainment were so much better. The service was also a million times better. I posted this on tripadvisor's Cancun forum and got eaten alive.

We've done both. We spent a week in Cancun at an all-inclusive place and by the 6th day we were longing to be on one of the cruise ships that passed along the coastline from time to time. Luckily, three weeks later we were.

Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed Cancun and even plan to go back for a shorter stay, but we prefer cruising.

Just got back from Cancun and we stayed at an all inclusive resort and I just want to say that our trips on Royal Carribean were 100 times better than our trip to Cancun. The food and entertainment were so much better. The service was also a million times better. I posted this on tripadvisor's Cancun forum and got eaten alive.

I saw your post and I agree with you.

What AI where you at? I started a post a few weeks back and it had many responses about AI's and Cruises. I got some excellent info and will use it for our next vacation. We will be going to the Riviera Maya and I am in the process of EXAMINING all reviews.

Sorry it wasn't so good:( I hope NOT to experience the same.

:eek: Say it ain't so!! :eek: 2 months from TODAY, we will be basking in the sun with our feet in the sand at The Royal Playa Del Carmen!! I sure hope we don't come home feeling that way! It's more money than we have EVER paid for a cruise! But we wanted to give an all-inclusive a try.

:eek: Say it ain't so!! :eek: 2 months from TODAY, we will be basking in the sun with our feet in the sand at The Royal Playa Del Carmen!! I sure hope we don't come home feeling that way! It's more money than we have EVER paid for a cruise! But we wanted to give an all-inclusive a try.

The Royal is a great resort..You will have a great time! I like to cruise, but I love my all-inclusives:)

Would also like the OP to come back on and tell us where they stayed.

We have done 3 AI's, 2 to Cancun with Palace Resorts, and one to Punta Cana. While I loved all the vacations, hubby was just ok with them. Would really like the cruise to far exceed the others so that we wants to keep cruising!!

The OP stayed at the RIU Caribe. Personally, I wouldn't touch this property with a ten foot pole. I can well understand his preferring a RCI cruise over a stay at this place. Nice review on the Trip Advisor board...you've stirred up the natives over there. If anyone had posted a similar review about a cruise on this board, they would be roasted alive. :) Your comment about the Mexican people was really uncalled for but, hey, it's your review.

For those of you out there who have vacations at AI's booked or contemplating booking one, do not give this opening post any credence at all. Do your own homework. Both types of vacations are great but they are different. Spend a little more money - don't short change yourself on an AI like the OP did. The RIU Caribe is fine if that is all your budget allows for. I can say a 7 night cruise for us is a heck of a lot more money than a week at this property. This is based on our cabin preference and what we spend above the price of the cruise. You can't get great quality on a beer budget.

The OP stayed at the RIU Caribe. Personally, I wouldn't touch this property with a ten foot pole. I can well understand his preferring a RCI cruise over a stay at this place. Nice review on the Trip Advisor board...you've stirred up the natives over there. If anyone had posted a similar review about a cruise on this board, they would be roasted alive. :) Your comment about the Mexican people was really uncalled for but, hey, it's your review.

For those of you out there who have vacations at AI's booked or contemplating booking one, do not give this opening post any credence at all. Do your own homework. Both types of vacations are great but they are different. Spend a little more money - don't short change yourself on an AI like the OP did. The RIU Caribe is fine if that is all your budget allows for. I can say a 7 night cruise for us is a heck of a lot more money than a week at this property. This is based on our cabin preference and what we spend above the price of the cruise. You can't get great quality on a beer budget.

Thank-you for the info..now I understand too...the Riu Caribe is not the nicest, nor does it compare with the cost of a cruise. Too bad the OP never has come back:confused:

It all depends on what you're looking for. I stayed at the Riu Palace in Cancun on a girls vacation and if my husband and teens were with me, they would of wanted to go home after one day. Not much to do. When we stayed at Beaches Negril-they did not want to leave.

Yes, whoever said-research your resorts is spot on.

Cruising is great.

The correctly chosen AI's are also great.

You two have a link....:)

DH & I have been to Mexico AI 3 times (2 Cancun & 1 Riviera Maya)

ABSOLUTELY loved all trips- all 3 times we stayed at a Palace resort-

Great service, food and no big tab at the end of your stay:)

I have been on only a couple of cruises and loved them too!!!

Can't wait for the next one!!!!

DH & I have been to Mexico AI 3 times (2 Cancun & 1 Riviera Maya)

ABSOLUTELY loved all trips- all 3 times we stayed at a Palace resort-

Great service, food and no big tab at the end of your stay:)

I have been on only a couple of cruises and loved them too!!!

Can't wait for the next one!!!!

You can't go wrong with any of the Palace Resorts!!!!~ My favorites in Mexico!!!!

We have been to four AIs - one in Cozumel and three in the Dominican Republic. The resorts were lovely (especially the beaches in Punta Cana) and I enjoy just relaxing on the beach under a palypa. My husband (a musician) however misses the shows, music, and all the other evening entertainment that is available on a cruise. Other than one show each evening (many just audience participation - how many times can you watch cute little kids from the Kids Club performing the Lion King?), we found that there wasn't alot to do at the resorts. Although we did enjoy having the free drinks, we are not ones to send a whole evening sitting in a bar.

So..........for our tastes a cruise provides more of what we are looking for in a vacation, but that is just our opinion.

I did an AI in Cancun and stayed at the omni for 6 nights. I loved it. Would go there again. Great service! I think you get what you pay for. If you really want a nice AI vacation and have no worries spend the extra to stay at a really nice resort. Thats my 2 cents.

My family of 4 recently spent a week near Tulum on the Riviera Maya at the Gran Bahia Principe and had a very nice time...compared to what we usually spend on an RCI cruise, we were way below budget (including airfare). It was a wonderful experience and we're going to the Dominican Republic in April.

We love cruising too, but variety is the spice of life!

I would love to know what other all-inclusive resorts people have enjoyed. I like cruising too but I would like to try an AI too considering sometimes the airfaire and cruise would equal a week AI vacation instead of a 4 night cruise vacation.

Thanks for all the personal experiences so far!

I have to disagree! Not that I enjoy the Cancun all-inclusives more or less but they both have benefits. We've been on 3 cruises and we've been to all inclusives in Cancun 3 times. I like having everything paid up front at an all inclusive as well as the freedom to venture out from the hotel when ever we choose. We've stayed at Palace Resorts and they offer the benefit of use of all their local resorts as well as a good variety of tours that are included in the price, ones you would have to pay for on a cruise.

Cruises on the other hand cruises definitely offer better dining experiences and service, usually more formality and the opportunity to experience different ports. The prices are usually a wash if you stay at a better all inclusive however you can find places that are much cheaper much like you could in cruiselines.

Archived