Best suggestions for carrying around an 11 month old

Mich1121

I am cruising in March and my daughter will be 11 months old. She is a tiny peanut. She only weighs 12 pounds so by March she'll probably be 13 1/2 maybe 14 pounds. In order to have hands free for my 5 year old boy and grab drinks, food, etc. What do you recommend is the best way to carry her around? Either snuggli, hip hammock or stroller. I want something that will have my hands free and will not kill my back either. Any suggestions or tips you might have would be great.

We use the Baby Bjorn both for everyday use, and while traveling. We love it -- and so does she! At 15 months, she is still using it but we know it won't be long before we have to switch to the back-pack style.

Wow! If your peanut is still small enough for the soft carrier, by all means bring it!

My boys were big boys and by 3 months I had to stop using the Baby Bjorn. I switched quickly to stroller and that is what we bring on cruises...our big stroller with big wheels. The big wheels are important for getting over rough street terrain in port.

Can she sleep in the snugli, too? That is another consideration. My sons slept in the stroller when we spent a day at the beach or just walking around on ship. My 3 year old even passed out in the stroller during dinner on our last cruise! Busy busy boy.

By 8Mo DD outgrew the snugglie and graduated to a backpack style carrier (BTW a friend of mine just had a baby last week 11.5 pounds at birth!).

We had borrowed a friend of ours backpack carrier when our DD was 8Mo and we went to Yosemite -- he IS a backpacker and would take his then 3YO with him on climbs at lower elevations around Mount Hood and Mount Rainier. It had an aluminum frame with padded straps and the back support thingee. We got one just like it because it was great! We used it well into when she was 4YO. It really balanced the weight well, was easy to manuever and she generally preferred it to her stroller because she was at the same height as everyone else rather than looking at their knees!

But based upon your little girl's size, if she still fits the carrier, go for it. Bring a small umbrella stroller for backup (I sometimes see more 5YO older brothers in their baby sister's strollers than I see baby sisters in them anyway!)

Thanks for the input. I will most likely put my peanut in the snuggli and like the above post said. Push my 5 year old in his baby sister's pink umbrella stroller (he wont mind). She will sleep in the snuggli I just have to face her towards me and she will knock out. Just wanted to do what is the easiest. I'm not bringing a big carriage because once you have one everyone throws their bags in the bottom and then you constantly have to stop to let people take stuff out and then put it all back in. Not to sound mean but I have to keep track of two kids and my own belongings let alone everyones I am traveling with. Thanks for your suggestions!

A Snugli doesn't sound very comfortable for a 14lbs child. You really need a more useful carrier.

I fly alone with my kids about twice a year, between Europe and California. I tried them all! The Bjorn was painful and by 6 months, it was in the back of the closet. I never used it again.

For the second, I bought a sling. I can still put my 3 year old in it. 100 times more comfortable than that awlful Bjorn. I only use it in a very limited way but she'll still fall asleep in her car seat and I can't leave her in the car. When they were little though, I could go hours with them strapped in. I could also sit down with it, impossible in another carrier. The best thing was that I could slide them in and out from the car seat or stroller without waking them.

Later on, I was given a wrap. This was even *more* comfortable than the sling because it sat on both shoulders. I'd forget I even had my baby with me. It was true "baby wearing". There were some minus points. The biggest was that it was not as easy to remove and put back on.

Both have a learning curve. It's worth though, getting the hang of either/both. It really makes your life easier, especially for travel and when you have more than one child. Sometimes a stroller is what is needed but these carriers can be tucked in a bag or in the basket of a stroller, to be used at any time.

The backpack was awkward for two reasons. Getting it on and off was difficult and also, the baby couldn't sleep in it. His head would flop from side to side. In the carrier, they're all tucked in nicely.

Really avoid that hip hammock. It cuts into the neck and isn't the best position for either parent or baby.

Some parents love the Ergo, but I can't speak from experience. It looks great for travel.

If you opt for a sling, get one that has good nylon or metal rings and opens up wide. I suggest a lightly padded one but do what works for you. One brand to avoid is the "Nojo" which is very narrow and has awlful rings (oh, and what ugly colors!!!)

Here are a couple of sites which have comparision charts and multiple companies listed;

http://kangarookorner.com

http://peppermint.com

Read up on the reviews and instructions.

This will make your trip so much easier.

Happy shopping!

All of those ideas are great; but I do recomend the Baby Bjorn Active carrier. My little girl is 18 pounds, and the thing works awesome. My back only hurts if I carry her around for more than two hours. They are pricey, but definitely worth the money.

Once our daughter was 15 pounds I switched from the active Bjourn to the Ergo and haven't looked back. It is great since it keeps the weight on the hips instead of shoulders and can go on your front or back (with practice or a helper).

We live in an urban area and use it frequently with no complaints and plan on bringing it for our cruise next month. We also have a Kelty hiking type backpack, but that is not great for them to nap in and also, of course, is a lot more bulky to pack.

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

Archived