getting from Seattle to Vancouver

wlfarm

Planning on taking northbound Radiance of the Seas Friday June 6 from Vancouver. Having a little trouble scheduling airfare. Have found flight into Seattle the night before. Has anyone flown to Seattle the night before sailing from Vancouver? Where did you stay and how did you get from your hotel to the Vancouver cruise terminal?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Haven't done it before, but in the same situation this May... flying into Seattle the night before the cruise, staying in a hotel near the airport, and taking an Alaska Airlines flight the next morning from Seattle to Vancouver. The two separate round trips ended up being cheaper than a single round trip from here (Fort Lauderdale) to Vancouver would have been.

the other option is to take the Amtrak train the morning of the cruise up to Vancouver (yes I've done it and made it in plenty of time). Search on the term "TRAIN" in this forum and you will lots of info. then just grab a cab at the train station to take you to the pier.

Our preference is for Seattle flights with transfers to Vancouver. It is typically cheaper from our home airport.

We fly in a day (or two) before, overnight downtown Seattle in order to enjoy Pike Place Mkt., the pier, etc, then use Amtrak to transfer from Seattle to Vancouver on the morning of the cruise. You can taxi to the cruiseship or take the SkyTrain in Vancouver (depends on mobility and luggage!).

If you don't plan to spend time downtown, it is significantly cheaper to overnight near Sea-Tac airport, then taxi to Amtrak downtown early the next morning in order to catch the train.

In addition to being a fabulous transfer, the scenery along the waterfront tracks is beautiful. If you prefer, you can rent a car and drive Seattle to Vancouver, or take a bus. There are several options.:)

Very often the cruise line will offer transfers by bus from Seattle to Vancouver, either from downtown hotels or from the airport. Have your TA check on it.

Our DD and BF took the train a few years ago and reported it was nice and relaxing and an easy trip.

Once we rented a car. It works, but there is a long wait at the border.

Have a GREAT cruise!

SeattleCruiseLover has given you good advice on this. Take Amtrak.

We have tried everything- one-way rental, week long storage, charter bus - yuck!, and Amtrak - our absolute favorite, enough so to catch the first ferry off the island. Here's an extra hint - pay the extra $11 per ticket to go business class. They will give you a $3 credit for food, so for $8 a person you can have a great seat, not be crowded, move around and have a relatively clean bathroom.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend the big, greasy breakfast in the full dining room, but if grease is a regular in your diet, it tastes great at the time.

If you still want to fly - try Kenmore Air - google it - how the elite get from Seattle to Canada.

SeattleCruiseLover has given you good advice on this. Take Amtrak.

We have tried everything- one-way rental, week long storage, charter bus - yuck!, and Amtrak - our absolute favorite, enough so to catch the first ferry off the island. Here's an extra hint - pay the extra $11 per ticket to go business class. They will give you a $3 credit for food, so for $8 a person you can have a great seat, not be crowded, move around and have a relatively clean bathroom.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend the big, greasy breakfast in the full dining room, but if grease is a regular in your diet, it tastes great at the time.

If you still want to fly - try Kenmore Air - google it - how the elite get from Seattle to Canada.

they no longer have business class

Rob

Sorry to hijack the thread to discuss the border crossing.

Are there multiple places to cross? I was told about a business route that may be a little out of the way, but an easier time at the border.

With the ship leaving at 5pm we are just as interested in a scenic drive from Seattle as we are getting to the ship early. We've never been to the NW, and I actually enjoy driving. If we were on the road as late as 9am, it seems we would have plenty of time, even if we took a longer, scenic route to cross at a less crowded crossing. Honestly, I don't even know how many spots there are to cross so forgive my ignorance.

I would not leave as late as 9 am, 6'ish would be much better, to allow for any and all unforeseen happenstances. Traffic is not a whole lot better on the weekend than it is during the week (our freeways are not LA quality or size here). There are multiple border crossings, but they are all busy nowadays, as indicated by earlier posters due to the $CDN and USD being on a par and summer being the busy tourist season for both cities.

And, for a 5 pm sailing, you will need to be aboard not later than 2:30 pm.

Sorry to hijack the thread to discuss the border crossing.

Are there multiple places to cross? I was told about a business route that may be a little out of the way, but an easier time at the border.

With the ship leaving at 5pm we are just as interested in a scenic drive from Seattle as we are getting to the ship early. We've never been to the NW, and I actually enjoy driving. If we were on the road as late as 9am, it seems we would have plenty of time, even if we took a longer, scenic route to cross at a less crowded crossing. Honestly, I don't even know how many spots there are to cross so forgive my ignorance.

No sorry, leaving at 9m is a big mistake, you are going to hit SIGNIFICANT traffic on a cruise day.

The alternative crossing is Lynden, I've used it several times. With you having no experience driving here, get yourself a GOOD Vancouver map, no freeways, all city stop and go. Easy to miss the 99 route, and many streets are one way.

I suggest you might want to consider what I have done for several years. Spend the night before the cruise in Bellingham. Then you can leave at 9am and get across the border in less time that what you are planning to do from Seattle.

And, for a 5 pm sailing, you will need to be aboard not later than 2:30 pm.

Not true, it's an hour before. But with turning in a car and getting back to the ship, I would add an hour. I can do it in way less, by walking however.

Be sure to gas up and top off the tank in Blaine. Should make it to downtown Vancouver with it still "full".

Archived