How do I get my nail polish to keep up with me?

luckyprincess

Are you using a base coat? What brand of polish are you wearing? I've never had polish come off or fade on my nails.

Many women will tell you that OPI is a great brand and it is, Chanel is even better. The problem is cost, the Chanel cost probably 3 times more than the OPI.

After you manicure your nails, use a cotton ball with a bit of polish remover to get off any oil or cream that you may have used before starting to paint your nails. Apply a base coat (not just clear nail polish, a base will be tacky), then two coats of color, followed by a good brand top coat. Leave enough time in between coats for the nails to thoroughly dry. Don't do housework or dishes until the next day.

Or, go get a manicure from a good nail salon, not a cheapie salon where they trim your cuticles. A good manicure can last almost two weeks if you don't chip a nail.

I use opi products. Basecoat, alpine white & bubble bath followed by topcoat. I reapply the top coat through out the week. My nails aren't real long and take a beating, yet by the end of an active week, they are still looking prety good.

Another polish I've found with good staying power is Revlon ColorStay, but the colors are limited, and I don't think I've ever used it for a french manicure.

I also find rather than a french manicure where the white painted tips of your nails can get a lil ragged, just a couple sheer coats of a pale pink or buff polish looks nice and chips don't show up.

Wow! Thanks for the replies, ladies. I guess the problem is....ME!:D I am obviously not doing a very good job in basecoating right or topcoating well! Guess thats why mine doesn't last long. I still have two weeks to go, so I'll get some OPI and do them tongiht and see how long they last. If it isn't too long, I'll try to get a session in when I get the 'full wax':eek: treatment at the salon next week. Maybe they'll give me a discount;)

I use OPI products for everything (base, color, and top), but then add a coat of Sally Hansen's MegaShine on top, and reapply every three days. I am really hard on my nails. Manicures at high-end salons don't even last 4 days for me, so it's not worth it. Pedicures on the other hand (or should that be foot?), priceless!

I don't think the problem is you OP. I get a manicure every 2 weeks using OPI products. My polish lasts all of 2 days usually. :( The Revlon Color Stay does last longer...about 5 days. I've tried everything and nothing makes it last longer. Friends who have acrylic nails don't have the problem, I think polish stays on better with acrylic nails. When I'm traveling, I only use a clear coat so chips don't show and I don't have to be doing my nails on vacation.

I have never had a manicure last, not even professional. So, I did some research about different brands and this is what has worked for me: creative stickey for the base coat, OPI color (2 coats), and the seche vite top coat. My manicures last about a week (my current manicure has lasted 9 days with only minimal wear at the tips). I think a great base and top coat really does the trick.

The best polish I have ever used is Chanel. Had a pedicure for a 08 Dec cruise and I actually got tired of the color and took it off this last Tuesday. Lasted forever and still looked good.

Hands lasted more than a week without chipping. Chanel polish may be more expensive, but it's frustrating paying a fortune for a Mani-pedi and having it last only a couple of days.

Chanel and Clarins work best on me. Also Essie. OPI does not last on my nails.

Seche Vite top coat or Barielle No Chip both work for me. I am in the water a lot so my polish does not last too long, no matter who does it.

I do reapply top coat every 2-3 days.

I believe it has to do with the make-up of your own nail chemistry. I am in the industry and have tried many many brands all by professinal manicurist, and on my own. No polish last on my nails over 1 day without chipping. Its a bummer. Exact same thing applied to our clients and it last for a long time. Any polish will stay on acrylic nails but I hate the damage they do to my nails. I stick with clear for a cruise. Any brand will stay on my toes for monthes, from creative, opi, or the dollar store.

I have had the pink and white Solar nails for several years now which are great. They look like a French mani but no polish is used--just buffed with buffing cream at the end. Never a chip or break, always look good, only have to go every 3 weeks for a fill. I keep them fairly short with an "oval-square" shape.

Before I did them, I used to get regular manicures every 2 weeks. The tech used a NailTec base coat, OPI polish and a NailTec top coat that had to be "cured" with an ultraviolet light for 7 minutes. This stuff was amazing, polish never chipped (even after a 4 day trip to Vegas) and I was quite happy with it.

Tweety I was wondering about that!

I saw some recs where I KNOW they do not stay on me, like Chanel and NARS are both awful on me. I have acrylics on, so I can use them on those, but I have to use OPI for the longest lasting pedi.

Oh and another top coat that I love is Sally Hansen Mega Shine (silver bottle) It dries my nails faster and is super shiny. Also helps it to last longer.

I think tweety33 is right. I went to school for nails and hair. Some people have more oils in their nails then others. Some things that 'might' help, clean nail first with alcohol, gently use a mild buffer to 'rough up' nail before base coat. Bottom line...some people just can't wear regular polish.

I work in the beauty industry as well, and I think the best top coat is Lancome's. The best nail product out there is by Avon. It's called Instant Manacure. I used this and it has lasted up to at least a week. It is not nail polish but a nail polish like coating that sticks to your nail. It's a little tricky to put on, but once you've done it once or twice, it's pretty easy. I add a top coat once I'm done. They come in different colors and also 3 different french manicure sets. Right now, Avon has them on sale for $3.99. I'm wearing them for my cruise.

Archived