Oceana - Country Club Casual

CateW

Hoping you can help me! We just returned from a New Year's Cruise on the Seven Seas Navigator. There were two formal nights, two semi-formal and 7 nights country club casual. Oceana is entirely CCC. Even on the casual nights, most men wore sports jackets and the ladies, myself included wore cocktail dresses - think the little black dress vs. beads and sparkles. In June we are doing 14 nights Venice to Barcelona on the Insigna. For those of you who have cruised Oceana can you tell me how CCC is defined and what you saw people wearing. Thanks!

Hi Cate,

I've been on two Oceania Cruises and really enjoy the Country Club Casual aspect.

Oceania caters to an upscale crowd, so no one interprets CCC as shorts, tee's and sneakers! And no one shows up like they're dressed to do yard work or to go to BBQ/Beer fest! :eek:

There is a varying degree of dressiness and all are acceptable. Some men will wear a pair of khaki pants, a neat/clean/pressed knit shirt and a pair of topsiders, while other men will be in a pair of dress trousers, button down shirt and a blazer, with or without a tie.

For women, some will come to dinner in a casual linen pant/skirt outfits, a la Eileen Fisher, while others dress more dressy in a nice dress with heels. My typical dinner outfit is a pair of dressy pants, a pretty top (like a silk halter, or a beaded tank) and a pair of delicate high heeled sandals.

You won't see any women in khaki crop pants and a tee shirt. It's more upscale/elegant casual than that. However, you won't be barred from the dining room if you do.

There is a Captains Night with the usual pre-dinner cocktail party and many people choose to take it up a notch from their other evening choices. But it's definitely a personal choice and there's no dress code. On one of our cruises, we were staying in London afterwards and DH knew he needed a sports coat and tie for a dinner there, so he wore it also on the Captain's Night, but only because he had it, so figured "why not". There were a few men in coats/ties but definitely not a requirement and those in a nice button down shirt, weren't underdressed.

It's really a matter of personal preference and what you would feel comfortable wearing to a nice restaurant on a summer evening is just fine.

We were on Insignia on a transatlantic in November/December 2007 & I wore pants & silk blouses every night. My husband did not take a jacket & was just fine. Bunch of talk about sandals not being allowed in the diningroom was just not true on our sailing. I think that if you want to get all dressed up you will be fine, but it's not necessary.

Jan

As usual, Jane is right on the money. As is Jan. On several O. cruises, I've worn a pair of black microfiber (silk like) slacks over & over again. Tops were usually long tunic type, flowy things (I'm plus sized). On a few occasions I wore rayon or cotton, short sleeved, calf length sun dresses. All, usually w/ a low to mid heel slide/mule sandal. People seem to dress up more ordinary outfits w/ nice costume jewelry. You will see a few that step it up a notch (as Jane said). But the vast majority will fall into the "smart casual" category. Makes packing a pleasure.

I am jealous! Enjoy your cruise! I am sure you will be dressed beautifully and appropriately! have fun!

Thanks, we're really looking forward to this one. It's port intensive and we've only been to two ports before we're really looking forward to it. It's the first time we'll be gone for almost 3 weeks!

You are on my two favorite lines. I agree with what's been said; however, I like to see a man in a sports jacket in the dining room. Not every night, but several. On a 2-week cruise, my husband will be taking two. Not necessary, but it's just my preference. Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks Esther. My husband has a tux and a white dinner jacket that we'll be leaving behind on this cruise. He has a navy blazer but I was just telling him that we should get a lightweight either silk or another blend in a lighter color for this trip as well. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. I think that a man looks so well in a jacket and it really isn't that much trouble to slip on.

Archived