First timer allowed in Past Guest party?

Grits53

Question: If a person has cruised enough with the line to get V.I.P. embarkation and disembarkation, doesn't their spouse/cabinmate get to enjoy the privilege along with them even if it is his/her first cruise? I can't imagine that they make one of them wait in a huge line while the other gets to go ahead to a nice genteel lounge and skip all the waiting... Well, in the literature about Platinum status, do they say that "The platinum guest along with his/her cabinmate will be afforded VIP embarkation?" Of course not. They only reference the Platinum guest, and it is understood that the privilege extends to others in the same cabin.

I think the same principle applies to the past guest party. Whether or not the spouse/cabin-mate is specifically invited, the common-sense understanding is that a past-guest is not expected to leave his/her companion behind...

JMHO

Drew: Thank you, my point exactly. Can you imagine leaving your travel partner behind and just meeting them on the ship! I would be embarrassed to treat anyone that way

Drew B .... boy am I embarrassed ..... maybe that is why all the "guests" I took on cruises declined the offer to go again. I thought they would understand that going to the previous guest party was very special and not have a problem staying in the cabin reading the "inch of gold" information while I attended alone.....

I honestly do not see why this is a big deal at all. Must just be the free booze. I have absolutely no desire to go to the past guest party. My fiance wants to go, so I will go for her but that is the only reason.

My sister and brother in law who we cruised with last time, and who have been on a few Carnival cruises, went to the party and left shortly after getting there. I dunno I guess to each their own.

Question: If a person has cruised enough with the line to get V.I.P. embarkation and disembarkation, doesn't their spouse/cabinmate get to enjoy the privilege along with them even if it is his/her first cruise? I can't imagine that they make one of them wait in a huge line while the other gets to go ahead to a nice genteel lounge and skip all the waiting... Well, in the literature about Platinum status, do they say that "The platinum guest along with his/her cabinmate will be afforded VIP embarkation?" Of course not. They only reference the Platinum guest, and it is understood that the privilege extends to others in the same cabin.

I think the same principle applies to the past guest party. Whether or not the spouse/cabin-mate is specifically invited, the common-sense understanding is that a past-guest is not expected to leave his/her companion behind...

JMHO

It's more than just the spouse/cabinmate, try your entire travel party even if you're in different groups. Our family has cruised Carnival often enough to get VIP, but my aunt and uncle haven't. Usually, when they come with us, we get 3 rooms, one for my parents, one for my sister and I, and one for my aunt and uncle. We're all allowed off the ship together, and we all can go through the non-US citizen line at customs because my aunt and uncle aren't citizens, even though the rest of us are. And the non-US line is usually so much shorter. They don't split up a travel party, we've even asked before and they told us to all stick together, even though we're in different rooms.

It's more than just the spouse/cabinmate, try your entire travel party even if you're in different groups. Our family has cruised Carnival often enough to get VIP, but my aunt and uncle haven't. Usually, when they come with us, we get 3 rooms, one for my parents, one for my sister and I, and one for my aunt and uncle. We're all allowed off the ship together, and we all can go through the non-US citizen line at customs because my aunt and uncle aren't citizens, even though the rest of us are. And the non-US line is usually so much shorter. They don't split up a travel party, we've even asked before and they told us to all stick together, even though we're in different rooms.

Really? That's fantastic! I'm not platinum, but on my next cruise, I'll be travelling with my whole family including dad who booked a suite. We have 4 cabins total. Does that mean we'll all get priority embarkation? :D

Really? That's fantastic! I'm not platinum, but on my next cruise, I'll be travelling with my whole family including dad who booked a suite. We have 4 cabins total. Does that mean we'll all get priority embarkation? :D

You should, at least basing it on what they told us. They don't break up families or travel parties, what would be the point? If half the family gets priority embarkation, and half doesn't, you have some angry people. Just let them know that you're all traveling together. If it's a large number of you, they might be a little less willing, but we had 6 and didn't have any problems.

You should, at least basing it on what they told us. They don't break up families or travel parties, what would be the point? If half the family gets priority embarkation, and half doesn't, you have some angry people. Just let them know that you're all traveling together. If it's a large number of you, they might be a little less willing, but we had 6 and didn't have any problems.

9 people total. 5 adults and 4 kids. Dad and his GF in a suite and myself and each of my sisters in separate cabins with one or two kids a piece.

I'm not certain of the correct answer to the OP's question or even if there is a correct answer. I do know that I would feel like a total snob if I told my first time Carnival cruising partner that he/she couldn't go with me to the past guest party. I'd just have to skip the party myself. My next cruise I'm going solo, so since I'll have nothing to gain from the answer, I think I'll just ask the purser what is appropriate concerning the past guest party. My guess is that Carnival doesn't want any cruiser to feel inferior or sub-human.

No prob Robb :) I figured I would throw out my opinion... I'm jealous, I want to go back on the Conquest!!! Have a great cruise Robb!!!

Lucy: this will be my second cruise on the Conquest and I am really looking forward to it. I once was of the opinion of always doing a different ship. I was reading Machman review and I actually got home sick reading it and suddenly had an urge to do it again and I am.

Robb

I'm not certain of the correct answer to the OP's question or even if there is a correct answer. I do know that I would feel like a total snob if I told my first time Carnival cruising partner that he/she couldn't go with me to the past guest party. I'd just have to skip the party myself. My next cruise I'm going solo, so since I'll have nothing to gain from the answer, I think I'll just ask the purser what is appropriate concerning the past guest party. My guess is that Carnival doesn't want any cruiser to feel inferior or sub-human.

Why should anyone feel inferior or sub human because they were not allowed to go to a party they have not earned the right to attend? For God's sake, they do not have to sit in the naughty corner for those 45 min.

I suppose the people that do not get the perks for 10+ cruises feel inferior and sub human too?

That is a big part of the problem with our society. Everyone feels entitled to do things they have not earned the right to do.

I agree the past guest party is not big deal esp for me as I do not drink alcohol, but it is suppose to be a perk for a PAST CARNIVAL CRUISER. Not a past cruisers guest.

JMHO

People travelling together can not be compared to past guest parties.

Look at it this way. If you bought carnival transfers to the airport, your "guest/roommate" could not come along with you unless they bought a transfer too. It would not matter if there were empty seats, they had not bought a transfer (earned the right) to go with you.

You earn (pay for) the right to attend the past guest party after you have taken your first cruise.

I know it happens all the time, but it is in no way right or fair to the people that have "earned" the right to be there.

I have earned the right, but I do not go, but it would not be right to give my invitation to someone who didn't have one because they as first time cruisers have no place at a past guest party. And I do not care who they are. If they are not past guest, they need to find something else to occupy that 45 min of their life.

Judy..... I am sorry but I am missing something ! My never having cruised guest is entitled to a past guest discount because he or she is cruising in my cabin. My not 55 guest is entitled to my 55 + discount because he or she is sailing with me in my cabin. Do you see my point ? They haven't sailed but get the discount....they aren't 55 but they get the discount !

For what its worth,

This from the Emily Post invitation etiquette page:

(4. “May I bring…”

Don’t even ask! An invitation is extended to the people the hosts want to invite—and no one else.

• …a date. Some invitations indicate that you may invite a guest or date (Mr. John Evans and Guest) and when you reply, you should indicate whether you are bringing someone, and convey their name.
  • …my children. If they were invited, the invitation would have said so.
  • … my houseguest. It’s best to decline the invitation, stating the reason. This gives your host the option to extend the invitation to your guests, or not.)

Not my words, copy from the website.

I see the party invite as being different from the price discounts and boarding privileges and I know I've read that those things are extended by Carnival. The over 55 discount does state that one person in the cabin must be over 55

Dan40...my point exactly ! My guest gets the 55+ discount because they are in my cabin. My guest gets the past guest discount because they are in my cabin. I realize that one person in the cabin must be a past guest or one person in the cabin must be 55+. The guest is in MY cabin..not your.

You earn (pay for) the right to attend the past guest party after you have taken your first cruise.

You earn (pay for) the right to V.I.P. embarkation after you have taken your 10th cruise. And they extend that privilege to your traveling companion regardless of whether or not that person has earned the privilege. What's the difference?

I see the party invite as being different from the price discounts and boarding privileges and I know I've read that those things are extended by Carnival.

May I ask WHY you see it as being different? I respect your sense of propriety, and I'd really like to know why one is okay but the other isn't.

You earn (pay for) the right to V.I.P. embarkation after you have taken your 10th cruise. And they extend that privilege to your traveling companion regardless of whether or not that person has earned the privilege. What's the difference?

May I ask WHY you see it as being different? I respect your sense of propriety, and I'd really like to know why one is okay but the other isn't.

I see them as different because the pricing models so states them as different. One in the party for price discounts, 55+, past guest, military, Florida [or X] resident or boarding privileges. All are specifically stated as one is all that's necessary for the cabin to qualify.

The past guest party is by invitation only and nowhere is any extension of invitation so stated. Also the venue for the PG party is predicated on the known number of PG's aboard. Extrapolating that out to each invitee bringing a guest could cause an overcrowded, under served mess. Its too crowded now.

I fully understand one not wanting to leave their traveling companion at odds while they attend the party. But crashing is never the answer. Declining to attend yourself is the proper answer according to Emily Post.

Next cruise you can attend with that companion as you both would then be PG's. Carnival is not the one who decided to cruise with a first timer, it was each of us that decided to do so. So each of us should live with our decisions. That's my take on it.

Dan

Dan40....we know your take. Some of us posters have a different take.

No offense.

I was answering DrewB's question and I really tried to do it in an inoffensive and non-judgemental way. My way is my way, it is not, "my way or the highway." Altho I sound like that sometimes [most?]

And no offense taken

Dan

On one cruise, there was a large group onboard, and from what one of the members told me, 60% of them were first time cruisers, yet the group leader told them to all go to the past guest party (that was one of their "events", I'm guessing this was around 180 people (not sure if they all went)... They were all traveling together so I guess they thought it would be rude to leave anyone behind :rolleyes: You could barely get in the doors at that party... ever since, I've glanced into the party, but I rarely go... it's just too crowded and I get perturbed that Carnival doesn't come up with another way to make sure that it is on a smaller scale. One of those ways would be to enforce the "past guest" only rule... But since they don't enforce anything else, i doubt they will do anything and "true" past guests will continue to opt out, in order to accomodate more first time cruisers, since it's the "polite" thing to do :(

I wonder how many past guests travel in the same cabin with someone who is not a past guest. Aren't a majority of people who cruise usually families/couples? Usually, these people go on vacation together, so I would bet that a couple extra people from the cabinmate of someone who is a past guest but isn't themselves will not be that big a deal as far as determining the venue. They want people to be comfortable, not cramped in somewhere. And for what it's worth, I can't remember a past guest party that wasn't in the theater. Of course, I've only cruised during peak times, so that might effect the location, also.

Of course there are always anecdotal stories, my sister is going on a cruise for her honeymoon, she's been on around 15 cruises, but it will be her fiancee's first. I think they'll be too busy with other things to worry about a past guest party, but I don't think the situation occurs so often where someone in the cabin is a past guest and another isn't. I say go, enjoy the party, one person bringing an extra guest is not going to effect your experience of the party. I doubt that any guest will be going around asking how many cruises have the other guests done, so what does it matter what other people do?

I hope a lot of people are getting the laughs and enjoyment out of this thread that I am!

I'm taking my second Carnival trip in a few weeks and I don't think that once on my trip I would have really considered the Past Guest Party until I read this thread. People are making this party sound like the greatest even on earth, and en event which gets exponentially worse with each additional person that knows about it and attends. Like a frat party in college or something! Now I have to go just to see what the fuss is about-and to report here if my 1st time guest spouse is also invited!

Enjoy your travels!

Archived