New Princess Hawaii Itinerary?

Tina G

Thanks. I'm not worried. I doubt if the state of California and the combined cruise ship lines will let it happen. Money talks. Meanwhile, what would we be missing in Kona? DH is a museum and nature person.

Kona is interesting, at least visually. Flying into Kona, it looks like you will be landing on the surface of the moon. This is due to the airport being located near a lava flow from years ago.

We enjoyed five days in Kona during a land vacation year ago.

Thanks. I'm not worried. I doubt if the state of California and the combined cruise ship lines will let it happen. Money talks. Meanwhile, what would we be missing in Kona? DH is a museum and nature person.

We stayed a few days in Kona a few years ago. Volcano National Park is the most interesting thing on the island, IMHO, which is close to Hilo.

As for the State of California, it isn't involved at all in the decision. This is a law that has been in place or decades and they aren't discussing a change to the law, just a change to implementation. The law is already in place. My guess is that they will likely move the start/end of the cruise out of the US to comply with the the cabotage rules.

We were very sorry to see the Hawaii cruise cut to 14 instead of 15 days beginning with the Fall '08 schedule. However, in our opinion it's better to take out Kona as a port stop rather than Kauai, a favorite of ours. Our understanding is that it was difficult having the ship arrive in the Hawaiian ports on a different day with each cruise, and cutting to 14 days would alleviate this problem.

When I had noticed that Kona had been cut, I was pretty disappointed as Kona was the port we had to skip two years ago (high waves) on the Island Princess. It sounds like an interesting port.

As for the changes that NCLA is trying to force on the other cruiselines, including Princess, it will really hurt the west coast ports financially. With our governor making some major speeches this week about cutting California programs, the PSA revisions seem very shortsighted.

For your DH, the Place of Refuge is rich in history, and for the nature side, Kona coffee farms are things he will miss. There is also the Painted Church, and a royal palace that would appeal to a history buff.

It is a shame that they are skipping a stop, especially if weather conditions force the ship to skip another port!

We were very sorry to see the Hawaii cruise cut to 14 instead of 15 days beginning with the Fall '08 schedule. However, in our opinion it's better to take out Kona as a port stop rather than Kauai, a favorite of ours. Our understanding is that it was difficult having the ship arrive in the Hawaiian ports on a different day with each cruise, and cutting to 14 days would alleviate this problem.

We were also sorry to see them cut out Kona, we we really enjoyed that port. IMO, Hilo wasn't a big thrill, we enjoyed viewing the lava flow sailing by at night there most of all.

Our favorite was certainly Kauai, and would like more time in that port. It seemed that in many ports, we had to "fight for a parking space" with an NCL ship. :p

Cindy

Kona is our favorite stop. DH was born there and he enjoys showing me around and seeing all the changes. It is a pretty little town that requires no tours if you don't want to. I am hoping they put it back in for 2009 or we might have to switch to another cruise line. Pleeze Princess!!!

I am going in April and Kona is still on the itinerary. Princess is making this change in fall 2008 when the Golden starts the Hawaii run.

I do like Kona but I would not miss the tendering part of that port stop!

Tina,

Please do NOT listen an ANYONE who has an opinion on what will happen with the cruises later this year and next. Nobody knows yet. They are simply giving you THEIR opinion and have absolutely no knowledge to base it on. NONE of them were personally involved in the process nor do they know who did what in the negotiations.

Many people from many different lines, and states and agencies were involved, so you will just have to wait and see what happens. Hold your breath like the rest of us.

I'm not worried. We just moved from the Washington, DC area. Like I said, money talks. (We LOVE Colorado!) I have noticed that Holland America ships will continuie to do the 15 day schedule. Hmm. I'm a Princess Platinum, but we just might switch over this one! Are you listening, Princess?:rolleyes:

So how is Colorado, considering you have arrived in Solar Min and are experiencing one of our colder winters! It hasn't got above freezing at the Cabin for 6 weeks and is below zero at night more often than not.

I'm also back to considering this cruise now that I know what to do with Judy in rough seas - put her to bed and GO DRINKIN!!!

The 14 day with the Golden is weird along with leaving on Wednesday. Middle of the week cruises end up killing at least 3 weeks - who can work the two days before and the two days after a cruise!

I'm going to keep an eye on this one as well as the discussion on the PVSA changes that might affect this itinerary.

Stay Warm!

I think princess droped Kona because they have added more time in Ensenada mexico.

It was 1-4pm and now it is 1-8pm.

Bill.

Kona isn't scheduled to be dropped until next September. I think they just wanted to round down to a two-week cruise and be able to have more sailings.

Archived