Formal Night on Princess

doublemm16

If we choose to do a specialty restaurant on Formal night, I know we have to dress formal, but my question is do we miss out on anything special by skipping the dining room and doing the specialty dinner instead? We will still be dressed up and will still do all the formal portraits. We just dont want to miss anything. We will attend one of the formal nights in the dining room though=which one should we skip for the specialty restaurant? Also, what is Cafe Caribe(Im new with Princess) And I was wondering if tips were included with the charge for the restaurant? Oh, one more question, is it okay to change to casual clothing like jeans or shorts after the formal dinners? I have read that you are supposed to stay dressed formal all night on formal nights but this would be so uncomfortable to wear heels and a slinky gown or for a man in a bow tie. If this was the case the people who opt out of formal night would have to spend rest of night by pool or in room. Say it isnt so? Thanks

However, the Cruise Answer Booklet PDF still reads "suits"...that is easily corrected and it hasn't been, which may contribute to the misunderstandings.

Actually the Cruise Answer Book PDF still says "Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men" and I just downloaded it....

So it looks like Slacks and a dinner jacket are ok!!

We're seriously thinking of skipping formal nights on our Med. Cruise. We're doing a couple of nights pre-cruise in London before heading to Venice and we're doing a week in Provence after the cruise. Don't really feel like taking up that much luggage space for a tux for two nights out of 21. Yes, I know we could rent them, but for $100, I'd rather sit in comfort on my balcony and have the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and gaze at the stars.

Formal in the Dining Room means Tuxes or Dark Suit. However, I have seen people arrive in whatever they want to the Dining Room. So I personally feel your Father will not be turned away. I have cruised 60 times so far, 3times a year. and since the 90's have seen so many changes. It seems most people today, donot like to dress up. They go as casual as they can get away with. Just my opinion. IKE

Again...thank you for all of your input. I have extensive cruising experience, and I will make sure my father is in appropriate attire for formal night. He has worn a navy sports coat and slacks with a tie to several Saturday night weddings and no one batted an eye. However, I do want this to be an enjoyable experience...being his first cruise. I am leaning toward a tux rental....if I can just get his measurements.

I am looking forward to a wonderful experience on my Princess cruise!

Thanks again!

Mindi:)

This may have been asked before, but I am new to the Princess boards. I am taking my parents on their first cruise. My father wanted to know if a sports jacket, tie and slacks would be appropriate for formal night. I am aware that most men wear dark suits. This is my 6th cruise and have seen almost everything in my travels. I want my parents to be comfortable and to "fit in." Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mindi:)

My suggestion? Use the search feature this board has to research 'Formal Wear,' on this board in the Princess section.

This question and ones like it are asked VERY often and usually results in as many views, of what should be worn in the dinning room on a formal night as there are people that log on the board. There are also a lot of heated discussions over formal wear, etc. IMHO people just need to follow the guidelines set by Princess.

Princess has a suggested guide for dress for the different types of dress, etc. for dinning in the dinning rooms. If you follow these guidelines you will be dressed properly, for that type of dinning.

On Formal nights, as I recall, it is suggested that one wear formal wear, or in the case of men, a dark suit, with tie. I wear formal wear, as does my wife. ;)

Visit your local thrift stores. Churches have them. Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, etc. Slightly used clothes at a fantastic prices. Great for one time use on a cruise. Also there is anytime dining. The second formal night was Friday night. We did not feel like dressing up. So we put on jeans. Ate at Cafe Carribe buffet with fine china and silverware. Then went and watched a movie under the stars. On formal night I saw everything. Jeans, smart casual, dark formal wear. Everything was excepted. So be yourself and have a great time.

Last cruise we were on, we saw men in slacks and ties, no jackets, even saw two in dressy jeans with white shirts and leather vests. My DH is 80 and he has a navy blue suit but thats as dressed up as he gets and maybe one nite it might just be slacks and dressy shirt. Oh well at 80, I'm just glad I've got him with me, regardless of what he wears;)

Formal means tux or dark suit. For those who don't want to comply, there are many lines without formal dress codes such as Oceania or NCL. Alternatively there are usually informal dining areas on formal nights.

Enjoy!!!:D

For "those who don't want to comply" on THEIR vacation, you will have no problem wearing what you want on formal night......even if it isn't official formal attire.

Archived