Formal Night on Princess

doublemm16

This may have been asked before, but I am new to the Princess boards. I am taking my parents on their first cruise. My father wanted to know if a sports jacket, tie and slacks would be appropriate for formal night. I am aware that most men wear dark suits. This is my 6th cruise and have seen almost everything in my travels. I want my parents to be comfortable and to "fit in." Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mindi:)

This may have been asked before, but I am new to the Princess boards. I am taking my parents on their first cruise. My father wanted to know if a sports jacket, tie and slacks would be appropriate for formal night. I am aware that most men wear dark suits. This is my 6th cruise and have seen almost everything in my travels. I want my parents to be comfortable and to "fit in." Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated.
A sports jacket would be fine for smart casual night but not really for formal night. He won't be turned away but the vast majority of the gentlemen are in either dark suits or tuxes. Most of the men who wear casual attire (and a sports jacket and slacks are casual) on formal nights are those with the attitude that it's their vacation and they'll wear what they want. However, your parents might be uncomfortable with that.

Thanks in advance!

Your dad will be fine in that attire. You can rent tuxes through Princess if you think that would make him happy, but what he has will be fine. some people just don't want to buy something they won't wear again & who can blame them??

Jan

Thanks in advance!

The ratio between dark suits and tuxedos for men varies by cruise, so either would do.

But rather than enter a debate on the clothes, why not rent a tux (either through a local shop or through Princess) then have some really nice formal pictures taken while on the cruise. I bet your Dad would look smashing, and your folks would love to have a really nice picture of them as a couple, and of you all as a family. That would be a great memento of the cruise.

As a guy, I feel really good and handsome when wearing a tux onboard ship. But I also felt good wearing the my new suit on the last cruise - I bought it for my son's wedding this summer - although the Christmas cruise had a majority of tuxedo wearing persons. I think wearing a sport coat and slacks might have your father feeling somewhat self conscious. Just my personal opinion...

Thank you for all your responses. I just wanted to get a feel for the atmoshphere on Princess. On all of my Celebrity cruises, the dark suit was the way to go. I am going to see if he would be interested in renting a tux...it might make the vacation more special for him.

Thanks again!

Hi everyone,

While we're on the subject, what is the dress for men in the speciality dining rooms? I see pictures in our brochures of both long sleeve open collar shirts to sport jackets/tie to suit. Very confusing on the pages to maye what is "actually" on the ship. We too do not want to be odd men out with the dress.

Thanks for your responses.

Chesie

A dark suit really would be better than a sports coat if he has one, however if he does not have a suit, a sports coat in a dark color and dark pants would be okay. Most men wear dark suits. Some wear tuxs. And a few wear something else not in this catagory. If he really wants to "fit in" a suit would be the best option. On the other had if he wants to look distinguished and dashing...there's nothing like a tux.

i hate formal night sbut understand other cruisers love them which is fine. Whwn I am on vacation i am the rebel. I refuse to go formal and you know what I have a great time. Theres plenty of spots to eat without being formal on the ship. A vacation is a vacation to some of us who wear suits every day.

thanks

Since I was bored and for the fun of it, let's go right to the source; the Princess tips found in the cruise guide. The booklet states, verbatim:

" For evening dining, there are two designations for dress codes in our dining rooms: Smart Casual and Formal. When evening dress is Smart Casual, passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home. Appropriate attire includes skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters or blouses for ladies and pants and open-neck shirts for men. On formal nights, appropriate attire includes evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies, and tuxedos, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men".

1) No where does it mention that it has to be a dark suit.

2) Websters definition of dinner jackets is: Semi-Formal evening dress for men

3) Websters definition of semi-formal is: 1. Moderately formal; requiring a dinner jacket;

3) Amazon has pictures of dinner jackets: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=dinner%20jacket&tag=icongroupinterna&index=blended&link%5Fcode=qs

4) Websters definition of appropriate is: Suitable for a particular person or place or condition

There ya go. :D

Since I was bored and for the fun of it, let's go right to the source; the Princess tips found in the cruise guide. The booklet states, verbatim:

" For evening dining, there are two designations for dress codes in our dining rooms: Smart Casual and Formal. When evening dress is Smart Casual, passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home. Appropriate attire includes skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters or blouses for ladies and pants and open-neck shirts for men. On formal nights, appropriate attire includes evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies, and tuxedos, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men".

3) Amazon has pictures of dinner jackets: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=dinner%20jacket&tag=icongroupinterna&index=blended&link%5Fcode=qs

Hi everyone,

While we're on the subject, what is the dress for men in the speciality dining rooms? I see pictures in our brochures of both long sleeve open collar shirts to sport jackets/tie to suit. Very confusing on the pages to maye what is "actually" on the ship. We too do not want to be odd men out with the dress.

Thanks for your responses.

Chesie

Chesie,

The specialty dining rooms follow the dress code of the day and would be the same as in the main dining rooms. Only the buffet area is exempt from this. I hope that helps.

Your guide is outdated. Suggest you go to the Princess web site and see the updated guidelines.

Actually it's not outdated at all - it's good through 2008. Also, when you are on their website, there is an option to download their "Cruise Answer Book" PDF file. In this file, it does not state dark suits, just suits. So, there appears to be a discrepancy. This could be why there are so many questions on what to wear.

Actually it's not outdated at all - it's good through 2008. Also, when you are on their website, there is an option to download their "Cruise Answer Book" PDF file. In this file, it does not state dark suits, just suits. So, there appears to be a discrepancy. This could be why there are so many questions on what to wear.

When they printed the book, it was intended to be good thru 2008, however, in the 2nd half of last year, they changed some wording in both the formal and smart casual of the dress attire. This actually happened to alot of the cruiselines at pretty much the same time.

Visit your local thrift stores. Churches have them. Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, etc. Slightly used clothes at a fantastic prices. Great for one time use on a cruise. Also there is anytime dining. The second formal night was Friday night. We did not feel like dressing up. So we put on jeans. Ate at Cafe Carribe buffet with fine china and silverware. Then went and watched a movie under the stars. On formal night I saw everything. Jeans, smart casual, dark formal wear. Everything was excepted. So be yourself and have a great time.

Visit your local thrift stores. Churches have them. Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, etc. Slightly used clothes at a fantastic prices. Great for one time use on a cruise. Also there is anytime dining. The second formal night was Friday night. We did not feel like dressing up. So we put on jeans. Ate at Cafe Carribe buffet with fine china and silverware. Then went and watched a movie under the stars. On formal night I saw everything. Jeans, smart casual, dark formal wear. Everything was excepted. So be yourself and have a great time.
Careful - everything is accepted throughout the ship - if one is looking forward to dining room service on formal nights, everything is not accepted. We should be careful that we give new Princess passengers the correct information.

We leave in 12 days. My husband is taking a dark sports jacket and Kakhi pants and a dress shirt and tie for the formal night. I am taking a black short dress with a shawl and jewelry. I am sure that will be acceptable. I would be very surprised if it wasn't. I talked to my Mom today who has salied many times. She said you see everything now on formal night. I also scoured the thrift shops this weekend and found a long black dress with thin staps. Brought it home washed it up. Tried it on and added sparling jewlery - voila there you have it. Add my black shawl and I am ready to go again. I also found many long wrap skirts that can be paired up with a simple top add jewelry and you should be good to go. They could also be worn as a cover up for a swimsuit. People get themselves all tied up about what other people should and shouldn't where. Go, enjoy, and have a great time. As long as you act like a lady and gent you will treated as a lady and gent.

We leave in 12 days. My husband is taking a dark sports jacket and Kakhi pants and a dress shirt and tie for the formal night.
Your husband won't be turned away but the vast majority are in dark suits or tuxes and at least in the dining room, he'll be very much a minority. Does that make it "acceptable"? Possibly. Maybe not.

When they printed the book, it was intended to be good thru 2008, however, in the 2nd half of last year, they changed some wording in both the formal and smart casual of the dress attire. This actually happened to alot of the cruiselines at pretty much the same time.

However, the Cruise Answer Booklet PDF still reads "suits"...that is easily corrected and it hasn't been, which may contribute to the misunderstandings.

Archived