Another St. Thomas Question

SparklyPinkCruiser

DH and I have booked Godfrey for our tour of St. Thomas....can't wait! We asked Godfrey to pick us up at 11:30am as we are not interested in shopping, just the tour and snorkelling at Coki.

My question is this. Did I make a mistake? We are not big shoppers....but it sounds like everyone loves to shop here. Is it a lot of fun? Is it open air, or are there tents covering the area? I just hate being out in the sun for too long. Are the deals really that good.

So, basically what I am asking is, should I change my plans and do some shopping in St. Thomas? I feel like I'm missing out!

Actually you will find a shopper's heaven right at the dock. There are streets of shops set up from jewelry to electronics to whatever. They are indoor shops with most of them an extension of a business located eslewhere, however, it is not the "native" vendor type like you get at the docks of say Cabo San Lucas. Then if you want more there is a lot of great shops in the old town area just a short taxi ride from the docks.... many of these shops have been around for literally decades each with their own speciallity. Plenty of shopping of all types, but can easily be worked into your day. As for the beaches actually going earlier gets you there before the big crowds show up from the ships excursions and you missed the heat of the afternoon sun. But whenever you go or wherever you go in the virgin islands is better than any day in the cold of the north american continent.

There is also a little "tent village" for vendors to the right of where tenders drop at the Main Street. I think they are blue and white tents or could just be white. There are t-shirts and hats and bracelets and all the touristy stuff under the tents. They didn't seem as inclined to bargain as in St. Maarten. There are also a lot of wonderful stores and shops in the downtown area if you like. I would go there instead of Havensight, just out of personal preference.

My husband hates to shop, but even he likes the hustle and bustle of the shops in St. Thomas, for a while. We're both tired after a couple of hours, but we always hit a few jewelry stores, perfume shops, and liquor stores. We've found sarongs and more inexpensive jewelry souvenirs for our kids under the tents. I think it's worth seeing, if nothing else than to just experience it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived