Upgrade Question on NCL April 2008

riddle

We are eagerly anticipating our April 11 departure on the southern caribbean itinerary aboard the NCL Jewel. One question - we booked a guaranteed inside cabin (rather spend money on other things). In past cruises we have always been upgraded. Our cabin # has been posted since right after we paid our deposit. Is there still a chance we will be upgraded? Bigger question is do upgrades only occur after we make our final payment (end of Jan.)? Thanks to anyone with answers. GO CRUISING!!!

We are eagerly anticipating our April 11 departure on the southern caribbean itinerary aboard the NCL Jewel. One question - we booked a guaranteed inside cabin (rather spend money on other things). In past cruises we have always been upgraded. Our cabin # has been posted since right after we paid our deposit. Is there still a chance we will be upgraded? Bigger question is do upgrades only occur after we make our final payment (end of Jan.)? Thanks to anyone with answers. GO CRUISING!!!

While it is possible that your cabin will be moved it is not likely. NCL is not like a number of other lines that upgrade guarantees. They tend to offer them but you have to pay, and refer to it as an upsell.

While it is possible that your cabin will be moved it is not likely. NCL is not like a number of other lines that upgrade guarantees. They tend to offer them but you have to pay, and refer to it as an upsell.

This is not quite correct. Yes, they do work in an "upsell" environment, but they constantly "upgrade" people that have booked a guarantee. The last time we booked an "inside guarantee" we were upgraded to an ocean view for no added cost. More than likely you will remain in the same category ( maybe on on a higher deck), but you never know.

PE

Very simply and very logically, they are NOT going to upgrade you to anything while they still have a chance to sell the more expensive cabin at the higher rate.

Therefore, don't hold your breath for an upgrade this far out from departure.

Maybe in the last week or two but not this early.

Good luck.

I guess we've just been lucky on our last four cruises as we have been upgraded each time. I am mostly interested in others' experiences with regard to the guarantee. I was under the impression that the assignment of the cabin to the customer would not be known until just before cruising but ours was on their website almost immediately after our deposit was made. Also, I was interested in whether any upgrades or upsells were offered before the final deposit was made or only after the cruise was paid in full. Thanks for the answers.:confused:

We were in an oceanview on deck 5 and waited and waited for a call for the upsell offer. Prices dropped tremendously after final payment and continued to drop where a balcony cabin was less than $100 more per person so we had our travel agent call NCL and we paid $160 more total for a balcony cabin which proved to be the best $160 we could have spent since I got the Norovirus and my sister could open the cabin up and get fresh air in and Noro smell out.

Since this last cruise we seriously have had to rethink our cabin choices for future cruises as we shudder to think being in a cabin without being able to air out the room and being in a smaller cabin than a balcony size since she was also quarantined for 24 hours.

riddle-I also booked a guarantee inside on the Pearl for a 8/3/08 cruise. I just happened to see today that I got the inside K that I booked on Deck 4. I am nervous about this location because CrusinAgain gave a review about this being a terrible location because it is where the gangway is located. I guess lots of comings and goings. I am pretty sure I will be in port while this is happening anyways. Deck 4 is also where the medical center is located. I just hope the norovirus stays away in August, so I don't have to pass all the sick folks. I debate on upgrading, but also want to save the money for all those expensive Alaska excursions. I am shocked that the upgrade came out so early. I was told that once assigned, that is it. I received an upgrade on the Disney Wonder and that wasn't given until check in. I am kind of bummed. I really don't mind not getting upgraded, but I thought it would have been nice to keep my hopes going until closer. Now I need to figure out if I want to book an upgrade. I have heard people say wait until a few weeks before to try and get a deal on a balcony, but won't they sell out for Alaska in August? Also if I pay final payment, do I contact the cruise line for an upsell, or wait for them to call me? Thanks for any input.

Hi, I don't see any K's on the deck plans for deck 4 so I cannot tell if you would have a problem, but if your cabin happens to be 4533, 4535, 4537, 4539, 4341, 4343, 4345, these have another hall away from the action of the comings and goings of leaving for the ports. Also the ones towards the very front of the ship would be safe away from the action.

Well I am going to make our final payment in a few days so we will see if anything happens then. I am really okay with where we are. I guess we were just spoiled from being upgraded everytime before. Our location mid ship looks okay.

We are just really excited and can't wait for the time to come. I think the anticipation of a cruise is a big part of the fun though. Once it starts it seems to go so quickly. We have never been on anything longer than a 7 day and this one is a 9 day.

The norovirus usually strikes more often in colder(winter) weather.

Also, balcony cabins usually sell out first and this would hold true, especially, for Alaska trips.

riddle- Deck 4 is also where the medical center is located. I just hope the norovirus stays away in August, so I don't have to pass all the sick folks. I debate on upgrading, but also want to save the money for all those expensive Alaska excursions. I am shocked that the upgrade came out so early. I was told that once assigned, that is it. I received an upgrade on the Disney Wonder and that wasn't given until check in. I am kind of bummed. I really don't mind not getting upgraded, but I thought it would have been nice to keep my hopes going until closer. Now I need to figure out if I want to book an upgrade. I have heard people say wait until a few weeks before to try and get a deal on a balcony, but won't they sell out for Alaska in August? Also if I pay final payment, do I contact the cruise line for an upsell, or wait for them to call me? Thanks for any input.

Archived