Iberia Airlines

We will be using our FF miles from American Airlines to fly to Barcelona. I just found out that we can only use them on Iberia and that there are no direct flights from NYC. We will have to change planes in London going and on the return trip change planes in Madrid. I have been reading some negative things about Iberia on these boards. What is the likelihood that this will be a disaster? Can anyone tell me what exactly is the problem with Iberia?

I have done a half a dozen flights over to Europe the past five years and have heard the same comments that you have. I can't personally comment but I did have a close friend who flew with them and she said it was a "Customer Service issue". "What Customer Service". I do know this if you want a cheap flight that will get you to where you want to go with no thrills this Airlines is then probably for you. Tim

We have had bad luck with Iberia with some strikes (within Spain) and forgotten luggage (The entire plane was without their luggage - seems they didn't load any!). Also, we find their planes to be quite uncomfortable - other airlines seems to have a bit more room. But, that being said - I'm sure we'll fly them again. Seems like most airlines now have the same difficulties. My kids actually loved Austrian Air last year the best - individual movie screens and video games. It was the easiest flight we've had.

My husband and son are flying to Madrid over Spring Break on American Airline miles - so they too are using Iberia. Hey, it's free - and honestly most of the time it hasn't been that bad.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is the problem with Iberia?

I cannot as I know of no problem. We flew Iberia RT from Miami to Rome (via Madrid) and had no problems. International (Miami to Madrid) was fantastic - service was great! Madrid to Rome - service was non-existant. Same on the reverse.

Would I fly Iberia again? Yes I would, but I would not look forward to any leg beyond Madrid.

My only experience with Iberia and "customer service" was in making a european open jaw reservation(SFO to BCN, IST to SFO) through one of the major travel search engine sites recently. The only problem was that while I had a confirmation # in hand(which also showed as confirmed on the Iberia website) the reservation itself never was fully completed which was frustrating both for myself and the travel site. If THEY(travel site) can't get through to Iberia to correct whatever glitch or problem there was, how the heck will anyone else?

Fortunately for me, the travel site ended up throwing up their hands and working with me to find an alternate airline/flight schedule (which was far more favorable for me all the way around) and still charge me only what I had originally agreed to for the Iberia tickets.

We flew Iberia from NYC to Athens in October, economy class. They were fine. No problems whatsoever. Food was OK. Flight attendants were pleasant. Madrid airport is beautiful but you must watch the boards because they don't announce flight departures, etc. and don't post flight gate information til one hour before flight time...but I would not hesitate to fly Iberia again...and I waited a long time to buy my tickets because I did not want to fly them. Had I purchased earlier, I would have saved $$$. Next we are flying TAP Air Portugal to Venice. At today's prices, have to go with the best fare.

We flew home from Barcelona to Miami in December. We used our American Advantage miles, and they put us on Iberia since they do not fly into Barcelona. Our flight was 1 hour late leaving Barcelona due to bad weather in Madrid. Most of the passangers were on the same flight as us, it took about 15 minutes to get the the other terminal, I believe they probably held the plane for us. One of our pieces of luggage was left in Madrid with many other pieces of luggage. There was a representative from Iberia who was very helpful. They actually had a list of

the people who's luggage was left in Madrid. It was delivered to our home in Ft. Lauderdale the next day.

So, I would have to say our first experience with Iberia was ok.

We used AA miles for Iberia Barcelona-Madrid-Miami in Aoril 2007 and Miami-Madrid-Barcelona in November 2007 for both our RCI transatlantics in 2007 and only had one small problem with a bag that didn't make the connection in Madrid on the way home. The bag was delivered to our home in Miami the next day.

We didn't experience any "Customer Service" issues on either flight. The ground and cabin staff were fine just not as attentive as I'm used to on American but no problems. I'd venture they are as good and as bad as any airline these days. YMMV

We had used Iberia 2 times. Our first trip we were 14 people who flew from San Juan to Madrid,two days later from Madrid to Rome and back Venice to San Juan.The second time we were 8 people from San Juan to Rome and back. We had no problems, no delays, no lost baggage.Our travel agent got us seats on a exit ( or the seats after first class) plenty of room.The crew is not the friendliest but if you dont get on their way and smile you sre not going to have any problems.

I've flown to Barcelona and Madrid on two separate vacations.

The first was Barcelona and we flew Iberia to Heathrow for our connecting flight back home to North America. It was a 7:00 a.m. flight and was no problem (I think a lot had to do with the early departure time).

Flying to Madrid was less uneventful. We flew Iberia Heathrow-Madrid and Madrid-Heathrow. On the flight to Madrid, our luggage went AWOL for about two hours. There were a few other passengers (about ten) whose luggage also went AWOL, though the others on the plane seemed to get theirs well enough.

When we went to the Luggage Desk (after it was clear that all of the luggage was unloaded), it seemed that this selective missing luggage was not an uncommon occurrence as the agent casually stated that if we waited 30 mins. to 1 hour, the luggage will probably show up. Alternatively, we could go to our hotel and they'll arrange delivery. Different country, different language, we waited. It did show up after about an hour or so, but it was annoying way to start a vacation.

Flying out of Madrid, check-in was fine. However, when we went to the boarding gate indicated on the screens, there was no activity (other than passengers gathering) at the actual gate. There were about a hundred passengers nervously lounging in the area because it was ten minutes to takeoff at 12:00 p.m. and no agent in sight. The flight information also disappeared from the screens.

We were getting really worried because our connecting flight out of Heathrow was at 4:30 p.m. Eventually (closer to "magically") the agents did arrive and we boarded 1.5 hours later, with just enough time to make the connection (we weren't runnning, but we didn't have time for a tea break either).

We weren't given any explanation for the delay nor an apology, at the gate or on board. We heard through other passengers that the airline basically cancelled our flight and combined the passengers on our flight with another flight because there weren't enough passengers on our flight. I was shocked to hear this, especially when considering those who have relatively short connection times.

So it turned out fine but *knock on wood* could have been a disaster, and it galled me that the agents behaved like there was nothing wrong with a plane leaving over an hour later than scheduled without providing an explanation for the delay.

I can also vouch for Madrid having a really nice (as in design) airport (at least our terminal, which I think is the main terminal). Barcelona's is also nice, but Madrid's is nicer.

We also had an Iberia issue. Before we left the states we were booked RT on Continental Airlines, CO advised us that the return flight had been cancelled and they had re-booked us on Iberia from Barcelona to Madrid, then connecting to CO back to the States. When we arrived at the Iberia Counter they refused to honor our CO ticket and stated that if we wanted to fly we must PURCHASE an IBERIA ticket. All CO issues were closed at 6am in Barcelona. We had to purchase tickets to meet up with our CO flights in Madrid. After phone calls to CO when we got back they did not ask any questions refunding our money on the tickets, evidentlly with the tone I received this happens more than once.

It was very frustrating, I even got CO US reservations on the phone and Iberia ticket agents REFUSED to talk with them. Just a bad experience with Iberia, and NEVER again will I allow them to jeopardize a fun vacation of mine!

I have had one experience with Iberia back in October. I was flying on Iberia as a British Airways codeshare from Barcelona to Heathrow on our way back to Boston. The experience started with check in which went without any problem. Then about an 30 minutes before the flight, the flight came up as a delayed for one hour. I was kind of bummed but we had a four hour connection so we were ok. About the time the original flight was to board, the signed changed from delayed to boarding. People were really confused thinking there was glitch. There was no glitch and we were actually boarding without any explanation. We went to the gate and took the bus out to the plane which was on the other side of the tarmac. On the plane, watchout, they charge for all food and drinks on the plane. They gave out nothing complimentary on our flight. Overall the flight was good, but not as nice as our BA segments.

We've flown Iberia three times. It is not the greatest airline, personnel seems very detached. They need training in customer service. However, I would fly them again if their price is competitive They are not much better or worse than the rest of the mainstream airlines. They would not be my first choice but I can live with them.

• 4 weeks later...

AA does have a nonstop flight to Barcelona from JFK. I believe it starts in April. Believe me I have reserached this to death. Iberia codeshares with AA. So maybe you can book the Iberia flight and end up on the AA nonstop.

We will be flying Iberia this June in Business Class for a great price to Barcelona. Unfortunately when we booked the nonstop was too $$$$. So we are making a quick stop in Madrid. Thanks to the comments I will not pack anything important in my 1 checked bag (tux and gowns for cruise several days later) due to missing luggage stories. Our family of 4 will take carryon.

I have read good praise for Iberias business class seats. They say they are more comfortable than AA business class.

Archived