How much time to allow for Sitka excursions?

bucsfan100

We are going on our first cruise to Alaska in June, 2008. There are 11 of us ranging in age from 7-67. I am trying to plan excursions for everyone and am starting with Sitka. We will be in Sitka from 8am until 5pm. I would like to do the Sea Otter Quest but also do some of the "in town" activities such as the Raptor Center, Historical Park for totem poles, St. Michaels Cathedral, and see the Russian Dancers. Can anyone give me their opinion of how much we can accomplish in this one day?

Thanks!!

I can't help too much with the details, but 2 things come to mind:

1) Remember to leave transit time for tendering.

2) Decide whether you are having lunch on shore or on the ship. If the latter, that's more tendering time.

I do not know what time your excursions is but if it is in the a.m. and depending on how long it is you will have plenty of time to visit St. Michaels, Raptor Center, see dancers. They are close to each other. There is a little walk to the Raptor Center but the rest is downtown. Just remember that Sitka is a tender port so allow time for that. You are lucky in that you have a full day in Sitka. alot of ships do not. So enjoy the town. One of the best in Alaska.

Marilyn

We are going on our first cruise to Alaska in June, 2008. There are 11 of us ranging in age from 7-67. I am trying to plan excursions for everyone and am starting with Sitka. We will be in Sitka from 8am until 5pm. I would like to do the Sea Otter Quest but also do some of the "in town" activities such as the Raptor Center, Historical Park for totem poles, St. Michaels Cathedral, and see the Russian Dancers. Can anyone give me their opinion of how much we can accomplish in this one day?

Thanks!!

We did the sea otter quest. Schedule it for the first excursion in the am.

Plenty of time to spend the afternoon in the town of Sitka.

Sitka has really nice little shops.

Probably the nicest place to shop.... in the entire Alaska itinerary. In my opinion, of course.

My husband did the raptor center on his own. He was disappointed that Sitka was not on our Alaska itinerary this trip.

Thanks!!

We did the Sea Otter Quest in the morning, had a quick lunch at a place near the pier and took the city tour including the Dancers in the afternoon. It was busy but not impossible.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks!!

We did the Sea Otter Quest in the morning, had a quick lunch at a place near the pier and took the city tour including the Dancers in the afternoon. It was busy but not impossible.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Be aware that the ship tour Sea Otter Quest is not as good as going independent for a longer more personal tour. With time a priority however, it may work the best. But if puffins are a priority, you can not count on seeing them without an independent.

There is a hop on hop off transit shuttle, for $10pp all day pass, but do factor in wait times. Without mobility limitations it's all walkable, but you need time. You can easily spend at least an hour at the Sitka Heritage Park, a couple hours at the Raptor Center. You do not need a Sitka tour, especially with being short on time, choose which areas are of interest to you and map them out and go on your own.

Archived