For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

My husband and I will be sailing on AOS on March 7 for the second time but it's been several years since our last trip with RCCI. I was hoping someone might refresh for me how the debarkation works. I guess my question is more specific to the luggage area. Is it one big mess or fairly organized? Also, if I remember correctly we were able to check our bags at the port with the airline and they were delivered to the airport. Is this still an option? If so, does AirTran participate? We are flying on AirTran for the first time and are a little nervous because I've read some poor reviews. We're pretty laid back and know there are problems with every airline but some of the stories make me wonder. Any information will be very much appreciated. Can't wait to board - we are so close and I'm just about done with all the snow! :p

It seems like someone was inquiring about the TV's. We just got off the ship on 2/7 and had a flat screen TV in our JS, Cabin 1338. Our friends still had the old fashioned TV in their D2 cabins on deck 9.

I believe it was me who asked that question!!!

Yipppeeee!!!! We are in JS 1358 - looks like they replaced the TV's on deck 10 :D:D

My husband and I will be sailing on AOS on March 7 for the second time but it's been several years since our last trip with RCCI. I was hoping someone might refresh for me how the debarkation works. I guess my question is more specific to the luggage area. Is it one big mess or fairly organized? Also, if I remember correctly we were able to check our bags at the port with the airline and they were delivered to the airport. Is this still an option? If so, does AirTran participate? We are flying on AirTran for the first time and are a little nervous because I've read some poor reviews. We're pretty laid back and know there are problems with every airline but some of the stories make me wonder. Any information will be very much appreciated. Can't wait to board - we are so close and I'm just about done with all the snow! :p

Hi Michelle - we are on the same cruise! C'mon over to our roll call - we have a good group :p

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19918059#post19918059

I believe it was me who asked that question!!!

Yipppeeee!!!! We are in JS 1358 - looks like they replaced the TV's on deck 10 :D:D

That's great that they have started to replace the TV's, I wonder if they are doing this fleet-wide or just on certain ships? Deck 10 makes sense as the place to start so presumably they have just started the process since this is the first report I've heard about it.

What a fabulous wedding gift! I'm sure the kids will love it regardless of the cabin they are in - it's a cruise and it's paid for by parents so what could be wrong with that?

7318 and 7320 are middle hump cabins - they will give you a better view than cabins at the end of the hump, so if either is available - grab it. Insofar as size is concerned, I have no idea if they are bigger than other same category cabins on the hump...maybe someone else can answer that?

Isn't Sorrento's the BEST???? I was on the Freedom this past August and had my first experience with Sorrento's and loved it. The antipasto bar was amazing - especially the little garlic crostini's :D The AOS has the cafe promenade - but sadly no antipasto bar :( I don't know about the mousse.....I assume you are referring to some kind of dessert?

Where is Meaford? I know that sounds awful since I am in Ontario - but I am originally from the east coast! :)

They are both soooo excited and our son has insisted nothing more than an inside. We can't wait. They initially wanted to have the wedding on a cruise, but it would mean that grandparents would most likely not have been able to attend, so this is the next best thing.

We will truly miss Sorentos, we spent a great deal of time sitting watching people having a coffee each afternoon. The coffee was pretty good and the mousse, including tiramisu at times was to die for. Little cups with different types of chocolate or fruit mousse in them. I don't usually like the desserts in the WJ, sometimes they are ok in the MDR, but these little devils were always right there in Sorentos calling my name. I think that the mousse guy went home after the first week of the cruise, they were good but not as good the 2nd week. Each ship has it's own special thing that we like. We look forward to exploring AOS!

Meaford is on Georgian Bay in between Collingwood and Owen Sound. We lived in Ajax before we moved here. Hated it at first, but now we are so accustomed to the slower pace that we couldn't imagine being back in the city. Rush hour for me is 3 cars at a stop light:eek: I have a half hour commute to the office and the only problems I face are weather usually and I hope for at least one snow day per year, so far not lucky this year. Where on the east coast are you from?

Thanks for your help!

Dee

They are both soooo excited and our son has insisted nothing more than an inside. We can't wait. They initially wanted to have the wedding on a cruise, but it would mean that grandparents would most likely not have been able to attend, so this is the next best thing.

We will truly miss Sorentos, we spent a great deal of time sitting watching people having a coffee each afternoon. The coffee was pretty good and the mousse, including tiramisu at times was to die for. Little cups with different types of chocolate or fruit mousse in them. I don't usually like the desserts in the WJ, sometimes they are ok in the MDR, but these little devils were always right there in Sorentos calling my name. I think that the mousse guy went home after the first week of the cruise, they were good but not as good the 2nd week. Each ship has it's own special thing that we like. We look forward to exploring AOS!

Meaford is on Georgian Bay in between Collingwood and Owen Sound. We lived in Ajax before we moved here. Hated it at first, but now we are so accustomed to the slower pace that we couldn't imagine being back in the city. Rush hour for me is 3 cars at a stop light:eek: I have a half hour commute to the office and the only problems I face are weather usually and I hope for at least one snow day per year, so far not lucky this year. Where on the east coast are you from?

Thanks for your help!

Dee

I should have tried the mousse when I was on the Freedom - they sound soooo goood!!!!!

Rush hour in Toronto is ridiculous - I would love a slower pace sometimes.

I was born in Halifax, NS and lived there until I was 18 at which time I moved to Toronto for University.....and stayed here! I met my husband and the rest is, as they say - history!:D

I should have tried the mousse when I was on the Freedom - they sound soooo goood!!!!!

Rush hour in Toronto is ridiculous - I would love a slower pace sometimes.

I was born in Halifax, NS and lived there until I was 18 at which time I moved to Toronto for University.....and stayed here! I met my husband and the rest is, as they say - history!:D

Most of the mousse is to die for, but the stuff that they put in the little cups not the cut up squares. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!! I'm a recent convert. Even the tiramisu that they had was incredible.

Slow up here is definitely the word for it. We have become so accustomed to it that when we are in TO or KW area it drives us nuts! Our middle son did his undergrad at U of T and my little sister did med school at U of T. Good school!!!!! We love the east coast.

Reading all of these threads about AOS makes me want to go now!!!!!!! especially reading about the JS's, but I am trying to be good and very economical for this one in Feb.

Did you have any children with you? Did the other child passengers speak english?

Not sure who you are directing this question to?

We always travel with our daughter - she always makes friends onboard, and yes, there are english speaking children. What prompted you to ask?

Hello Adventure Lovers! I'm bringing the Adventure of the Seas from Barcelona to San Juan (where it belongs) in November of this year!!

My D2 for two weeks on this one cost me less than I had ever paid for a one week cruise!

There are still open cabins if you want to join us.

I would love to be on that cruise!!!!

Thank you for bringing the AOS back to her rightful place :)

Hello Adventure Lovers! I'm bringing the Adventure of the Seas from Barcelona to San Juan (where it belongs) in November of this year!!

My D2 for two weeks on this one cost me less than I had ever paid for a one week cruise!

There are still open cabins if you want to join us.

There was a brief window of opportunity to book a JS on this cruise last month for $1295 pp. We noticed this while we were on Navigator of the Seas and had the wonderful LA Stella book it for us.

Now....it's all about finding a reasonable flight.

But we felt like it was a great deal for a really interesting TA itinerary.

Gina

Did you have any children with you? Did the other child passengers speak english?

Even if all the kids were Spanish speakers from San Juan, kids don't seem to care or notice. They do a lot of laughing and pointing and running around together. And they probably teach each other a few words in the process.

(assuming you are referring to the TA back to Puerto Rico)

Gina

There was a brief window of opportunity to book a JS on this cruise last month for $1295 pp. We noticed this while we were on Navigator of the Seas and had the wonderful LA Stella book it for us.

Now....it's all about finding a reasonable flight.

But we felt like it was a great deal for a really interesting TA itinerary.

Gina

As posted on the Nov. 28 Roll Call, Crown and Anchor has a $200.00 savings certificate for outsides/balconies/suites and $100.00 for insides for this transatlantic voyage.

Hey guys, this map is a work in progress, but I finally have enough complete to be of some value, (I hope). It's designed to give the newcomer some perspective on where things are and what things look like in Old San Juan. There are some links to restaurant web pages, etc and also great sites like Puertoricodaytrips. All pictures are from our last three cruises out of San Juan on the AOS and you can find more on my AOS picture site- the link is in my signature. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104279721729873069600.00047106bd894d64a0326&t=h&z=14

Archived