For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

I am so glad you all had a good time. We are leaving in ONE week!!! :D

We are planning on going to:

Palm Beach in Aruba

KonTiki or Porta Maria Beach in Curacao

Le Gallion Beach in St. Martin

Coki Beach and Coral World in St. Thomas

Now we have young kids so some of these beach choices were picked out in their best interest. Either way - we can't wait!!!

QUESTIONS:

We have a 10pm depart time on our docs but I keep hearing everyone leaves at 8:30pm. Is it back to 10pm because of daylight savings time?

Speaking of DST, are all the port times the same or do they change around?

Palm Beach in Aruba

Now we have young kids so some of these beach choices were picked out in their best interest. Either way - we can't wait!!!

QUESTIONS:

We have a 10pm depart time on our docs but I keep hearing everyone leaves at 8:30pm. Is it back to 10pm because of daylight savings time?

Speaking of DST, are all the port times the same or do they change around?

I double checked the departure times for the AOS and was told that all cruises are leaving at 8:30pm. Daylight savings time did not affect San Juan because they are already an hour ahead!

Palm Beach in Aruba

When we did the AOS in January we went to Kontiki in Curacao and Coki Beach in St. Thomas - good choices! We had a blast at both of them. The fish at Coki Beach are insane.

Laura

Laura,

The last time we did went on the AOS we went via boat to a beach close to the Breezes resort in Curacao...would that be kontiki beach? We would like to try something different this time.

Thanks.

Maggie

Maggie - I think you may be referring the beach adjacent to the Curacao Sea Aquarium which is basically next door to Breezes. We stayed at Breezes for a week in 2004 :o

I double checked the departure times for the AOS and was told that all cruises are leaving at 8:30pm. Daylight savings time did not affect San Juan because they are already an hour ahead!

Where did you check that? I am out of the loop. :o Everywhere online that I can find, says 10pm. Even my docs that were sent a few weeks ago says 10pm. I much prefer the 8:30 so we can watch the boat leave before we eat dinner. Late is still 9pm the first night, correct?

When was the muster drill then - before the first dining? I checked and it looks like all the ports are the same time - no changing your watch?? I have to have reassurance from you Robyn! It isn't 100% accurate until you say it is!!! :D

By the way, I sent an email to you yesterday for the compasses. Just want to make sure it didn't go to junk mail. I have hotmail too and a lot tends to filter there.

Thanks!!!

Where did you check that? I am out of the loop. :o Everywhere online that I can find, says 10pm. Even my docs that were sent a few weeks ago says 10pm. I much prefer the 8:30 so we can watch the boat leave before we eat dinner. Late is still 9pm the first night, correct?

When was the muster drill then - before the first dining? I checked and it looks like all the ports are the same time - no changing your watch?? I have to have reassurance from you Robyn! It isn't 100% accurate until you say it is!!! :D

By the way, I sent an email to you yesterday for the compasses. Just want to make sure it didn't go to junk mail. I have hotmail too and a lot tends to filter there.

Thanks!!!

I actually asked De De (Concierge) and she said all sailings are at 8:30pm.

Muster is at 6:00pm - late seating dinner is at 9pm the first night only.

San Juan is always on daylight savings time - so you do not have to adjust your watch - although it depends on where you are coming from.....Toronto is one hour behind, so when we arrived in SJ we moved our watches ahead one hour :)

I got your email and I will send you the compasses as soon as they are scanned - which should be sometime on Monday.

San Juan is always on daylight savings time - so you do not have to adjust your watch - although it depends on where you are coming from.....Toronto is one hour behind, so when we arrived in SJ we moved our watches ahead one hour :)

San Juan is on AST (Atlantic Standard Time), which is one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time. They, along with the other islands of the Eastern Caribbean, do not observe Daylight Savings Time, so for now AST and EST are the same. So for all of us on Eastern Daylight Savings Time, you don't have to change your watches when you arrive in San Juan.

Laura,

The last time we did went on the AOS we went via boat to a beach close to the Breezes resort in Curacao...would that be kontiki beach? We would like to try something different this time.

Thanks.

Maggie

No. KonTiki is seperate from any hotels. Ten of us got one taxi for $4 per person from nearby the pier. They have a few bars, bathrooms, showers, and places to eat. I actually really liked how there was a break wall so that there weren't any huge waves. Here are some photos of the place.

2574009240096754547S425x425Q85.jpg

2537037730096754547S425x425Q85.jpg

2951378280096754547S425x425Q85.jpg

2920402920096754547S425x425Q85.jpg

Laura,

Thanks for the pix of kontiki...I think that's where we will head.

Love, love, love your wedding pix; which take place on one of my favorite islands. Did you visit Aruba first to make plans or did you do everything over the web/phone?

Maggie

Just to clarify. I live in PR. We use Eastern Standard Time, but we do no adjust our clocks in winter time.

AOS departs now at 8:30 p.m. Before it used to depart at 10:00 p.m and muster was at 8:00 p.m. Since it now leaves at 8:30 p.m., muster drill must be earlier.

Just to clarify. I live in PR. We use Eastern Standard Time, but we do no adjust our clocks in winter time.

AOS departs now at 8:30 p.m. Before it used to depart at 10:00 p.m and muster was at 8:00 p.m. Since it now leaves at 8:30 p.m., muster drill must be earlier.

Muster is now at 6pm :)

It's not that you use Eastern Standard Time, it just matches up in the summer, when we are on Daylight Savings Time. Here's the link and the quote:

http://puertorico-guide.info/travel.basics/time.zones/

Puerto Rico is in the Atlantic time zone, operating one hour ahead of Eastern time. However, the island does not observe daylight-saving time. This means that from April to October, Eastern time is on the same clock as Puerto Rico. From October to April, the East Coast of the United States is one hour behind Puerto Rico.

Well, I just got back from the ship.

Mixed feelings on this one.

Itinerary was decent, Mike was a great cruise director, the ship was typical early-Voyager class (Navigator/Mariner were MUCH Improved), and the clientele.... different.

Would I do it again? Probably.

Would this be the first ship i'd look to go on next time? Probably Not.

Well, I just got back from the ship.

Mixed feelings on this one.

Itinerary was decent, Mike was a great cruise director, the ship was typical early-Voyager class (Navigator/Mariner were MUCH Improved), and the clientele.... different.

Would I do it again? Probably.

Would this be the first ship i'd look to go on next time? Probably Not.

I'm glad you had a good cruise :) I think everyone needs to try something at least once to know what they like and dislike.

I love the AOS, but agree with you that the Mariner is an improved version. Having said that - I feel that the crew on the AOS do the best they can to keep the ship in good shape, and it shows.

For anyone sailing on the AOS soon.....

I am insanely jealous!!!! :p :p :p

We are sailing in just about four weeks. For the past nine months, we have lived vicariously through reviews of AOS. Can't wait......

I agree that the AOS is a little "dated" especially compared to the Mariner. There's a very distinct difference there believe it or not. But you can't beat the sailings from San Juan. If you're doing the Caribbean....that 's the best way to go. (Of course that's only my opinion.) Can't wait to set foot on the AOS again in just a couple of months!

Robyn.....Any discussion from Dee Dee about the CL?

Laura,

Thanks for the pix of kontiki...I think that's where we will head.

Love, love, love your wedding pix; which take place on one of my favorite islands. Did you visit Aruba first to make plans or did you do everything over the web/phone?

Maggie

Oh yes I see from your signature that you really DO love Aruba! Well I had visited the island about 10 years ago when I was like 15 or 16 and really liked it. Aruba made it on the list because 1) We really wanted to sail on a Voyager Class ship (even though it's not our fav class, there were alot of first timers and we figured we'd give em the promenade and everything) 2)I wanted to pick an island that wasn't as prone to bad weather as say the Western Caribbean so we didn't risk not making the port, and 3) We wanted to be on an island as long as possible so that we didn't have to rush, and at the time that we were deciding, the AOS was staying in Aruba till midnight. My DH had never been there though so he was VERY happy when we got there and the place was beautiful. We did all of the planning online and over the phone with Edwina from 2go Aruba weddings. I planned everything and she made it happen! The ceremony was on Eagle Beach. We're definitely going back very soon for a few days!

Laura

Personally, I am looking forward to the AOS over the NOS we took last year. I know there are some differences but my kids and nieces/nephews are all 7 and under so the Adventure Ocean water area is a much better fit for us then the extended teen club. I also thought Vintages was a BORING place and even though I am a big wine drinker, I am glad they have a sports bar in the promenade instead. I also am looking forward to the aquarium bar.

I think the only negative for us might be the balconies. I think we will miss the see thru railings. But I am more willing to give that up for the itinerary. I was not a fan of the western carribean. I much rather go to safer less traveled ports.

I am 99% sure we will be booking the Serenade while on the AOS for next Spring Break. The itinerary looks great and I think we might like that class of ship. My overall biggest complaint of the Voyager ships is that every bar/lounge/room seems to be either right by the promenade or up in viking lounge. They can claim they are all different type of rooms or atmosphere but 90% were all the same music/atmosphere because they are all so closed together and open. I like the Seranade layout. But that is my only complaint because otherwise the Voyager ships are great and we are looking forward to a great AOS cruise:D

We leave on Friday for 2 nights at the Stellaris before we take off - I am SO excited!!!

Archived