Alaska cruise in September?

Lohe

Can anyone tell me about Alaskan weather in September? We are considering doing a land tour and cruise from Alaska in September and are concerned about the weather. How cold will it be? What's the chances for rain...or snow?

It's starting to get cool and rainy in September. It is the end of the cruising season, because snows will begin within the next 4 weeks or so (mid October unless early). That being said, I have been in Alaska in September when it was 80, and I have been there in September when it was 30 with 40-50 mph winds and a reeeeeaaaaly low wind chill factor.

Plan for layers and have some sort of rain gear, and you will be ready for anything.

i was there sept, 2006...2nd week of the month. at that time we were the last full week of cruising. all the shops were celebrating ending the season. we had fleece, light wind breakers, water proof shoes, etc. needed all of it, in juneau we had rain and sleet, in skagway the day was nice, glacier bay was beautiful, ketchikan was pouring rain.

less then a week later, skagway got it's 1st snow in the mountains.

we had expected this weather and could enjoy it with what we packed.

temps ranged from low 40s to hight 60s.

Thanks for all of your replies. The take-away I get is that early Sept is usually okay though perhaps a little cooler...but be prepared for anything. From what I've read on other threads, there is always a chance of rain in Alaska.

My husband and I were on the last cruise of the Alaskan cruising season in 2007. We got VERY lucky with our weather. We did have a bit of drizzle and some parts of each day here and there were overcast, but the only downpour was the day we returned to Seattle to end the cruise. The temperatures were also quite mild, and I never wore more than a windbreaker out on the decks or in port. We're returning to Alaska this May to get a feel for cruising this area at the complete opposite end of the Alaskan cruising season.

There were a lot of great deals on merchandise on both the ship and in each port at the end of September. One more bonus was that we were able to get as close to Johns Hopkins Glacier (part of Glaicer Bay) as any ship that season due to the lack of ice in the water. I added the link below if you'd like to see a few pictures from our cruise. :)

Jill

We went out the second week in September 2007. The weather was very dark and rainy in Juneau but absolutely beautiful the rest of the time. The day we were in Tracy Arm it was cool but I stayed on deck the whole time. I had on a vest and jacket (with a hood) that day. Other days were fine with light jacket. We wore shorts in Seattle. Weather is a funny thing - no telling what it will do.

If you are flexible on your dates, I would recommend going before Sept. since it can get cold and even snow early. The "village" in Denali on the land tour closes around 9/9 and you may not be able to go very deep into the park to see the most woldlife.

We went in early Aug. '03 and the weather was almost perfect. We were in Denali on Aug. 5-7 and the stores were already having clearance sales.

We must have been on another cruise line in September '07. We sailed from Vancouver on September 14th. We had mildly cool weather but rain several days. The rain was quite heavy on and off the entire day we were in Juneau. The first snowfall of the year occured the day before we headed into Canada from Skagway.

Another thing you might want to take note of. The only reputable car rental agency in Skagway generally closed September 15, regardless of how many ships are still to sail. If you are interested in taking off on your own this might be a consideration. It is well worth it. The drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake is amazing.

We had been to Alaska before and knew to take waterproof shoes and boots and rain suits. While many of the 40 on our whale watch in Juneau scurried back to the ship we tromped through the puddles happy as larks.

Have a great time and when you settle on a sailing check out the ROLL CALL for your sailing and the Alaska board.

Can anyone tell me about Alaskan weather in September? We are considering doing a land tour and cruise from Alaska in September and are concerned about the weather. How cold will it be? What's the chances for rain...or snow?

There is a reason Sep is the end of the Alaska season. The weather is turning. I agree with the above who say it is a toss up and plan for the worst (cold and rain). But you may luck out and I am sure there are folks that had great Sep cruises.

After the first week of Sept. this timeframe has the worse potential for weather of the entire season.

A FAR better plan is to have a northbound cruise, since the Inside Passage is where the foul weather potential is the most likely. Interior Alaska much less. For this to work with Denali park, you need to consider a first week of Sept, cruise. Later will have the shuttle buses closed into Denali Park.

I have sailed twice in this timeframe, because it was so cheap. The deals are no longer there. Every earlier cruise was superior, I pick up both of these as a second and third Alaska cruise the same season.

Averages- 3 days of rain, temps 40-50, dusk by 7pm, so you may want to look at port times. Some tours are not operating, some have reduced schedules.

Being well prepared in your attire will make all the difference in enjoyment.

Archived