Why do you people do this?

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I can't wait until this whole formal night mess is changed to no formal nights because obviously most of us don't feel like dressing up and lugging around formal attire and such. Plus its such a big debate on message boards that the cruiselines or at least Carnival need to just get rid of it altogether.

I think you may be right.

Although the survey's say (on these boards) people want to dress up for formal......this thread shows the same people who dress can't wait to change because they are uncomfortable....or what not;) Given the choice it may be different...

Although the survey's say (on these boards) people want to dress up for formal......this thread shows the same people who dress can't wait to change because they are uncomfortable....or what not;) Given the choice it may be different...

I wonder if they did get rid of formal nights what kind of reaction would there be lol.

I don't think formal dinner shold be completely given up because there are some that really like it. But I do think I should have a dining room I can go to if I choose not to go thru the hassle.

On NCL for formal dinner only 1 of the dining rooms is designated as formal and it seems to be pretty full, but the fact that it only takes one of the 5-6 dining rooms to accomodate the formal dressers sure says a lot in my opinion. I have also seen people who looked formaly dressed in the dining rooms not designated as formal. I don't know if they were confused as to which room to go to, if they just like to dress formal but don't care if others do, or if they simply perfer what is being served in the other dining rooms.

I always see tons of formal pictures in the picture gallery so people may be dressing up just to take the pictures.

Bottom line is, I would just prefer to have a real choice in the matter of formal wear. I do not consider eating at the buffet a real choice.

I always see tons of formal pictures in the picture gallery so people may be dressing up just to take the pictures.

Bottom line is, I would just prefer to have a real choice in the matter of formal wear. I do not consider eating at the buffet a real choice.

Guilty as charged lol!

I agree. Since we enjoyed Princess anytime, we are going to try out NCL for our next cruise......of course with a short Carnival in between....

Well, for me, I was raised in a Mormon household and cocktail dresses seem so bare for me to wear.

I got one for my upcoming cruise, but I also got a big pashmina to cover myself. I'm no longer Mormon, but I guess old habits die hard.

I tried to find some dresses with sleeves, but they were matronly and I'm in my 30s. I didn't look too hard, because it's for one night and I don't enjoy shopping that much.

I'm pretty sure I'll run back to the cabin and change right away after dinner!

Guilty as charged lol!

I agree. Since we enjoyed Princess anytime, we are going to try out NCL for our next cruise......of course with a short Carnival in between....

If you enjoyed anytime, you should LOVE freestyle. Go to the pursers desk and ask where you can see the dinner menus for each day and make your choice from that. The two main dining rooms will have basically the same things but prepared differently. One my have grilled and the other baked for example.

We usually just asked our breakfast or lunch waiter where they would be that night, then go there because all the food is pretty good.

Also for the pay restraunts, you can only order 1 entree, but as many of the other things as you want. My table for 4 ordered almost everything on the menu and shared.

If you choose to go formal, make sure you find out which one it is. It will be one of the main dining rooms.

I am not bashing Carnival. I love them except for that formal dining situation and the big deal so many try to make it out to be when it is clearly not or they would not be running back to their rooms to change. I think they are just playing dress up because they do not get to that much, but I do attend real formal affairs so it makes no sense to me to do it on vacation.

I am not bashing Carnival. I love them except for that formal dining situation and the big deal so many try to make it out to be when it is clearly not or they would not be running back to their rooms to change. I think they are just playing dress up because they do not get to that much, but I do attend real formal affairs so it makes no sense to me to do it on vacation.

I don't understand the logic. Just because people wish to change out of their formal wear after dinner doesn't mean that they don't enjoy dressing that way during dinner. I love skiing, and part of that is bundling up in the parka and boots with the big giant sticks affixed to my feet. As soon as I'm done skiing, I remove all that crap because it wouldn't be comfortable in another venue. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy putting it all on to ski...

Why, after so many people say they LOVE dressing up for formal nights, does everyone change back into their regular clothes as SOON as they are done with dinner, like it's a race or something? I personally like to enjoy the rest of my evening in my pretty clothes, and I don't feel like changing that many times a day. Hubby thinks otherwise, but I force him. Needless to say, I feel out of place because everyone else is so casual and we're walking around formal. Would it really kill you to wear a dress or suit for a few more hours? Modern society is just not classy anymore like it was back in the day!! People then would dress formally all the time, especially on a cruise, and now it seems to kill people after about 2 hours tops! Opinions?

I'm with the OP! We love to dress up and stay dressed up for the rest of the evening.

Society has changed, in my opinion not for the better.

If you enjoyed anytime, you should LOVE freestyle. Go to the pursers desk and ask where you can see the dinner menus for each day and make your choice from that. The two main dining rooms will have basically the same things but prepared differently. One my have grilled and the other baked for example.

We usually just asked our breakfast or lunch waiter where they would be that night, then go there because all the food is pretty good.

Also for the pay restraunts, you can only order 1 entree, but as many of the other things as you want. My table for 4 ordered almost everything on the menu and shared.

If you choose to go formal, make sure you find out which one it is. It will be one of the main dining rooms.

Sounds good to me:D It's just nice to have a choice...whether it is dressing up or down and dining when we are ready, without having to settle for the buffet. And also like on Princess to have the option to order hot food from room service. We do meet many people on our cruises and it would be nice to be able to dine freestyle with them.

We have no problem going back and forth between lines. We have a great time on all our cruises...

I hate heels to but I love to get dressed up and spend the night out. DH actually stayed dressed up our last cruise and we went ball room dancing. I do not think he would have if he had but his bluejeans back on. It is for only 2 evenings on Carnival no big deal here.

Well, I've read this thread start to finishicon7.gif I know that no one can make you feel bad unless you allow it, HOWEVER, it's because of folks like MISSNOOPYGIRL that I never know if I'm over or under dressed. I wouldn't want to be on a cruise with her, I'm a small town farm girl who has to dress nicely for my job in town - I work hard for the money I spend on my cruise and if I buy a formal outfit and wear it to dinner - and haven't spilled anything on it - you'd better believe I'm going to change - I may have to wear it on the second formal night and may have to wear it on the next cruise - so I'm glad MISSNOOPYGIRL can afford formal night and can wear her formal all evening - but maybe that's why she cruises on Carnival!

Hey All

OMG why is this such a big deal, it isnt the Titanic! LOL

do what you want before and after.. Dinner on FN is Formal..

Right?

Why does everyone care what everyone is doing, wearing, etc

Its a vacation not a bar mitzvah!

Hi,

My 2 cents, for what it is worth:

Dress up if it pleases you. Don't worry how anyone else dresses. You are on a cruise to enjoy yourself however you want. So is everyone else. Live and let live. There are too many other things in life to worry about. While you vacation, let all the worries and stress just fall away. You will enjoy it more!

I will dress up for the formal. Immediately afterward, I will hurry to my stateroom and change back into jeans and a polo shirt. I will enjoy myself at the formal and afterwards! I am on VACATION :D :D :D :D

I can't wait until this whole formal night mess is changed to no formal nights because obviously most of us don't feel like dressing up and lugging around formal attire and such. Plus its such a big debate on message boards that the cruiselines or at least Carnival need to just get rid of it altogether.

If you'd like to meet one of the most casual people in the world, meet me.

My DD looked in my closet and saw NOTHING but jeans and tee shirts. Most of my tees are souvenirs from poker tournaments. LOLOL.

I've NEVER dressed in anything formal - not even at my wedding. And, I'm now 61 years old.

But, I'm so very much looking forward to this cruise especially because of the formal night. My DD helped me to find something elegant to wear and I'm thrilled.

Just a little feedback fer ya!!!

Hi,

I will dress up for the formal. Immediately afterward, I will hurry to my stateroom and change back into jeans and a polo shirt. I will enjoy myself at the formal and afterwards! I am on VACATION :D :D :D :D

I forgot to mention that dressing in a polo shirt is 'formal' to me. :D

At the end of the day we all wear what we want on cruises anyway. This is just a place to vent it seems. But will people on this message board telling others how not to dress and to eat at the buffet during formal night if they have jeans on going to make people actually do it, uh no. So vent away :rolleyes:.

Anyways, I personally do not care what people wear to dinner. I will never understand y people DO care. You want to talk about the chair hogging, ok I can understand that, but the way people dress? Why worry about it. How does it effect you besides make you feel like your cruising the Walmart of cruiselines :eek:. And if it makes you feel like your on the poor man's cruiseline then just cruise elsewhere. Simple!

I like to dress up every now and again. If my feet hurt from high heels they I just kick them off before I hit the dance floor. After enough drinks it doesn't really matter though. It's fun to be a foot taller-ok maybe 1/2 foot but I'll take what I can get:D

Have you noticed that after she got everyone all in a tizz over formal night, she dissappeared. Either she got the hint that we don't care what she thinks or she made her "control" point and went off to control someone else (ie. hubby). I guess that next she'll want us all to wear blue shorts when she does, or a pink top when she does. Like I said earlier, she needs to get a life and let us live ours as WE choose.

I will never understand why so many people spend so much time seemingly obsessed by what others are wearing at dinner . . . while on vacation no less. How much more self-absorbed can one get? LOL.

Personally, I don't care what others wear. My dining experience has never been elevated by formal wear and it has never been degraded by the dreaded jeans and tee combo. :eek: As long as the food is good and the service is good and the company is good, the dining experience is special.

Maybe some of us need to step back a little, be grateful that we have the opportunity to travel with friends and family that we love (hopefully) . . . and chill out. :D

I will never understand why so many people spend so much time seemingly obsessed by what others are wearing at dinner . . . while on vacation no less. How much more self-absorbed can one get? LOL.

Personally, I don't care what others wear. My dining experience has never been elevated by formal wear and it has never been degraded by the dreaded jeans and tee combo. :eek: As long as the food is good and the service is good and the company is good, the dining experience is special.

Maybe some of us need to step back a little, be grateful that we have the opportunity to travel with friends and family that we love (hopefully) . . . and chill out. :D

Amen!

Archived