Passport came back in 15 days

kinggartk

I leave on a short cruise on Feb. 4, 2008 on Fascination. I just submitted my passport request on January 11th! We shall see if I get to go:eek: ! I admit I am late and I will be very nervous until I actually receive my "expedited" passport! Our traveling companions told me that if I did not receive my passport, they will be telling me what a great time they and my wife had on the trip while I had to "hold the fort" in Virginia!:(

"Anxious in Virginia"

Lee

Don't get too worried or upset, I've been researching the whole passport issue and even though passports were supposedly going to be strictly enforced as of January 1st, it's been delayed again.:rolleyes: Now they've pushed it back until this summer. I read about it at this official gov't website that our local postmaster told me about. I still went ahead and applied for our passports since our cruise is in August :D and the new law could effect us.

By the way, we applied for our passports on December 27th and got them back in 14 days. So this getting the passports back early is not a fluke. I even made these cool personalized waterproof passport covers that I saw on the DIY channel. All the info on how to do them is on their website at DIY network dot com. All you need is nice paper with cool designs on it, clear contact paper that you use to line your cabinets with ($4.95 at Wal-Mart), scissors, a marker, and a ruler. It's super easy and fun to do. My kids loved doing it!:)

I leave on a short cruise on Feb. 4, 2008 on Fascination. I just submitted my passport request on January 11th! We shall see if I get to go ! I admit I am late and I will be very nervous until I actually receive my "expedited" passport! Our traveling companions told me that if I did not receive my passport, they will be telling me what a great time they and my wife had on the trip while I had to "hold the fort" in Virginia!

"Anxious in Virginia"

Lee

You don't need a passport to go on this cruise! From the state department Web site:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

* JANUARY 31, 2008

U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

* LATER

At a later date, to be determined, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.

Did y'all do the expedited? I'm sending mine in tomorrow as I need to get my named changed (it's one of the last things I need to change since getting married) and I won't need it until June 1, but I'd like to get it back as quickly as possible so I don't have to hassle.

I had to get my passport renewed due to my name change from getting married (it's been 4 years since we got married and changed my name...I took my time lol) and it took less than 2 weeks to get it back and we did not send it expedited.

My DH applied for his first passport and his came in one day earlier than mine!

I sent mine in on Saturday and hope to have it back well in advance of late February, when I'll need it for a job thing.

I'm kind of wondering if they'll get a bit backed up again when they start accepting applications for the passport card.

I've got a group going in Feb and another in July. Some applied in late November others in December. Two families have not yet applied, but have appointments to do so next week.

The longest so far is 23 days, the shortest is 17. All new civilian passports (one is a prior military with a military passport. His was the longest wait.

I'll report again after the January group gets theirs.

I leave on a short cruise on Feb. 4, 2008 on Fascination. I just submitted my passport request on January 11th! We shall see if I get to go:eek: ! I admit I am late and I will be very nervous until I actually receive my "expedited" passport! Our traveling companions told me that if I did not receive my passport, they will be telling me what a great time they and my wife had on the trip while I had to "hold the fort" in Virginia!:(

"Anxious in Virginia"

Lee

I would quickly apply for a replacement Birth Certificate, just in case the passport does not come. You can get it within a few days or a week, but you had better do it now. I received mine from Alaska in about a two weeks. There was a problem with the way my last name was in their computer so it took longer (they had placed a space in it so instead of McD they had Mc D). If you were born in VA, call the dept of records and find out where you can go and pick one up. It would be much faster too. I currently live in MD so going to pick up a copy was not an option for me.

Don't get too worried or upset, I've been researching the whole passport issue and even though passports were supposedly going to be strictly enforced as of January 1st, it's been delayed again.:rolleyes: Now they've pushed it back until this summer. I read about it at this official gov't website that our local postmaster told me about. I still went ahead and applied for our passports since our cruise is in August :D and the new law could effect us.

By the way, we applied for our passports on December 27th and got them back in 14 days. So this getting the passports back early is not a fluke. I even made these cool personalized waterproof passport covers that I saw on the DIY channel. All the info on how to do them is on their website at DIY network dot com. All you need is nice paper with cool designs on it, clear contact paper that you use to line your cabinets with ($4.95 at Wal-Mart), scissors, a marker, and a ruler. It's super easy and fun to do. My kids loved doing it!:)

The passport requirement will now take effect in January 2009. They are also coming up with passport cards that you can carry in your wallet, for Canada, Mexico and Caribbean trips or if you need to leave the country fast :cool:.

Did y'all do the expedited? I'm sending mine in tomorrow as I need to get my named changed (it's one of the last things I need to change since getting married) and I won't need it until June 1, but I'd like to get it back as quickly as possible so I don't have to hassle.

I just requested regular service....My cruise is not until May, So I was confident that it would come back in time.

DH and I applied for our passports on Dec. 31st and have not received them yet. We do not have any trips planned for awhile, so no big rush. We were told 6-8 weeks, but that's probably standard script. We didn't see the need to have the process expedited since we aren't going out of the country soon. There has been a thread or two on the boards lately about passport cards. Homeland Security and the State Dept. can't seem to get their acts together regarding the passport issue ;)

I have all mine ready to go.We need 4 of them.Hoping to go do it next week.Our trip in on Apr 16/08 but our cruise isn't until Apr 26/08.Hopefully thats lots of time.Well still need our passports to enter the US.

You guys got them back pretty early.

Archived