La Jolla California advice....

karen sharpe

La Jolla is about 15 or 20 minutes just north of S Diego and the Valencia Hotel, somewhat famous is in La Jolla and is about the only 1 direclty facing the ocean, in the downtown area where all the shops are. There's also 1 I think its called La Jolla Shores, type in La Jolla Ca on the net and youll see whats what there ;its 1 of the most beautiful cities in S Cal!..be sure you get instruction sto the downtown La Jolla as you have to go down a sort of winding road and its tricky where to turn..in S Diego itself there's the Marriott and Hyatt directly facing the ocean, hope this helps!

If you really want to stay in La Jolla (or "the Village" as they call it locally) I would agree on the La Valencia. It is an old classic hotel that has seen many movie stars, etc. over the years. It is not cheap though. This is a good location for either walking to the famous La Jolla Cove (good swimming in warm weather from June-October) and shopping in the trendy and expensive shops in the Village. Parking is difficult and expensive here though, and traffic can be difficult in and out of the area during rush hours.

Other places to consider if money is no object in the area include the Inn at Torrey Pines (which recently had a major renovation in a Craftsman style) with a view of Torrey Pines Golf Course, or the Four Seasons Aviara (not on the beach, but on a lagoon). These are self-contained resorts that would require a car in order to see or do anything outside the hotel. There are also a couple of nice hotels in the Del Mar or Carlsbad area that give easy access to the beach.

Right in San Diego there are also the cute little cottages right on the Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach (not cheap, but you can feel the waves all night long) or the Tower 23 hotel (which is very nice). Facing Mission Bay instead of the beach are the Catamaran and Bahia or the Hyatt Mission Bay (formerly the Islandia). Of course we also have the venerable and beautiful Hotel del Coronado ("the del") on Coronado Island (actually a penisula) right across San Diego Bay from the downtown area, but facing the ocean to the west, and right on my favorite beach.

Great advice as always Splinter..It's a toss up between Hotel Valencia and the wonderful Del Coronada. Since it's in Feb we won't be doing any swimming and I'm thinking the views of the ocean at the Valencia might be a little more spectacular!

I know this might be "a shot in the dark" but two years ago we stayed at Lacosta Resort for a week and went to an amazing Italian restaurant on the ocean. We drove directly west of Lacosta for about 30 minutes to Hwy 1 and about 15 minutes north on Hwy...It was built in two tiers and the front facing Hwy1 and the ocean was all glass .So sorry I hadn't written the name down. Would you know which one I'm referring to??:confused:

Haven't a clue. If you drive directly west from La Costa resort for 30 minutes you are about 3 miles out to sea! I suspect you are probably looking for something in the Carlsbad or Encinitas area, and I don't get to North County much (the traffic is so bad). Perhaps one of our members who lives in that area would recognize it.

If you want a nice place to eat with an ocean view, the Sky Room at the La Valencia is great, and the Marine Room in La Jolla is spectacular, esp. if you are there at high tide when the waves actually splash the windows. I also enjoy the Brockton Villa (breakfast there is always great). For elegant, George's at the Cove is always a hit.

I think L a Costa is alittle too far out from S Diego and I really think the Valencia has the better view and seems alittle more kept up then Del Coronado..also there is JW Marriott on Coronado that looks beautiful, across the bay from S Diego, we ve also stayed at the Lowes on Coronado that was very nice...

Thanks to you both!The Marine Room in LaJolla sounds interesting.Excuse my lack of tidal knowledge but what approx. times of the day are high tides?

We are actually staying in Palm Springs for a couple of weeks and since we fell in love with the San Diego and Point Loma area on a previous trip thought we would pop over for two days. So far plans are to pound the pavement one day in San Diego and then settle up in La Jolla for a day and then back to the desert. The Marriott is tempting as we have points we could be using up. Haven't given up on that mystery restaurant and it was on dry land:p. May give LaCosta resort a call as it was their recommendation. Anyways thanks for the info.

Jakes in Del Mar is a really nice rst on the beach, and a place in the area called The Beachouse , I think that rst is 2 stories..my parents live in palm Springs, we just got back from a visit, its so beautiful now, cold at night tho and warm in day..high tide info is w/ life guards.or in a paper but that rst The Marine room is beautiful and nice any time day or night we love it there!.

Can't help the OP, but this question is related. Hope it is okay to add another question to a question! We are staying in San Diego 2 days pre cruise. We wanted to see La Jolla. What is the best way to get there? Rental car, taxi, bus?? I have googled it many times and all I get are listing of hotels. :confused:

You could take a cab to La Jolla, but it can be expensive. Traffic can be heavy and you pay for time, not just miles. A car would probably be best if you want to see more than just the main Village area (shops and restaurants). A car would allow you to go up to Mt. Soledad for the view, stop off at the Torrey Pines Glider port and watch the hang gliders and paragliders (with a great view of Black's Beach), head up to Torrey Pines Beach and Preserve (good nature walks), watch the surfers at La Jolla Shores, and maybe stop at the Birch Aquarium (at Scripps Institute of Oceanography/UCSD).

Just be prepared to pay to park in the Village area. Street parking is limited and VERY strictly enforced in La Jolla. It is easy to get a parking ticket there if you are not very careful.

Here is a site for San Diego tide charts for the Scripps Pier area (north La Jolla). You need to know the date and time to see the times tides are highest. The best combination (a winter storm and high tide) is hard to book at the Marine Room...their special High Tide Breakfasts sell out nearly as soon as they are announced:

http://ocean.peterbrueggeman.com/piertide.html

I vote for staying at the La Valencia and eating at George's at the Cove.

But - they are both pricey.....I mean really pricey!

However, you can get great deals on clothing at Clothes Minded. It was my favorite clothing store when I lived in San Diego. Each item was $15.00 - which is a STEAL in La Jolla. The prices may be more now....I left the area about 6 years ago, but even at $20.00 per piece it is still a great price. The address is 7880 Girard Avenue, La Jolla.

La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club is on the beach in La Jolla and not as pricey but still really nice. Check it out at www.ljbtc.com.

In any case, have a great time and a fab cruise.

cigal

Splinter, thanks for the great info. We live right outside of NYC and go in there frequently and I know ALL ABOUT strict and stiff parking fines and fees! :mad: That's why I was wondering if there was some kind of public transportation such as buses or trains that go from SD to LaJ. We are staying in SD 2 1/2 days pre cruise and 1 1/2 days post, so might have to see how much $ we have left after to figure in LaJ! :confused:

No trains to La Jolla. There are limited buses too, and it will take some time to get there, and it would not be convenient to see much more than what you can easily walk to from the Village (for example, it is quite a hike to the Marine Room from there, and not at all practical to get to the Aquarium without taking another bus or two). You could probably get a private tour or car service too. The Old Town Trolley jitney/tour does not go to La Jolla.

You can use this site to check out bus schedules. Your starting point (if you are getting off a cruise) is Broadway Pier.

http://www.sdmts.com/

Okay, thanks again for the advice Splinter. We are leaving from San Diego. Our hotel is about a block across the street from the pier (Hampton Inn) We stayed there last year and even tho it is "no thrills" it was very comfortable and IMMACULATE, the price was right and easy walking distance to anything we wanted to do. We did the Zoo last year, Gaslamp Quarter and went to Coronado Island which we want to do again this year. Will probably do Seaport Village and Horton's Plaza and I've heard about Kansas City BBQ too. But since I don't think we will ever get out there again, we really wanted to see La Jolla. So I guess a rental car is the way to go! Shoulda done it last year when we had 2 other couples with us to split the cost :( You saved me a lot of time trying to figure out what to do, so thanks! ;)

Georges at the Cove MID LEVEL, the 1 wht the casula bar setting that is not expensive, its the lower dining room that is!use their valet park and where ever you stay have the ocnceige give you a map with drivng directions into downtown La Jolla,,its worth seeing its so beautiful!

Phoned the concierge at La Costa re that mystery restaurant and it is Vigiluccis in Carlsbad on Carlsbad Blvd.As wonderful as it was it would just be too far a drive back to La Jolla.So maybe next time!

I have booked an ocean suite with balcony for us at La Valencia and a dinner reservation at The Marine Room. It was a toss up between it and The Sky Room at the hotel. Both spots look amazing on the computer and it should be wonderful and worth the splurge. Thanks again for your info! Karen

IT WILL A 4 OR 5 MINUTE WALK!

http://www.vigiluccis.com/chophouse.html

DINING SUGGESTIONS..

SKYROOM IS GOOD BUT YOU WILL GET MORE FOR YOUR MONEY AND A GREATER VEW AT...AZUL!

http://www.brigantine.com/about.html

HAVE BREAKFAST OR LUNCH OR DINNER AT BROCKTON VILLA..ANOTHER GREAT VIEW RESTAURANT

http://www.brocktonvilla.com/

HAVE FUN..

RALPH IN LA JOLLA!!!!

Phoned the concierge at La Costa re that mystery restaurant and it is Vigiluccis in Carlsbad on Carlsbad Blvd.As wonderful as it was it would just be too far a drive back to La Jolla.So maybe next time!

I have booked an ocean suite with balcony for us at La Valencia and a dinner reservation at The Marine Room. It was a toss up between it and The Sky Room at the hotel. Both spots look amazing on the computer and it should be wonderful and worth the splurge. Thanks again for your info! Karen

Archived