Another RCCL Kids Program question

goscudder

We're leaving in March on the Freedom and my kids are 5, 11 and 13. When we were on the Disney Wonder we always carried a pager for our youngest son, so I knew the counselors could reach us if they had a problem. Do they have pagers on RCCL? How do they contact us if there are any issues?

I know that since my daughter is 11, she can check herself out of the club herself, but I definitely don't want her walking around the ship by herself. How have other families handled this? Do parents just keep going back to the Club every hour or two to see if their kids are ready to leave? If she decides she wants to leave the Club 15 minutes after she gets there, how could she let me know?

Thanks for any advice!

For the 3-5 year old AO on Freedom, you will have a cell phone. If you are needed, the counselor will call you.

For the older group, you can write your cell phone number down and ask the counselors in those age groups to call you too if you are needed.

Some families with older children bring walkie talkies to keep in touch.

Hi,

We will be on the Constellation in January, and my 10 yo will be old enough to check himself in and out also. Since he is very responsible when he is out bike riding or walking around with his friends, we will allow him this privledge with very strict rules. My DH and I will share a walkie talkie and my son will have the other one. As he is leaving the Fun Club he has to let us know he is leaving, and where he is going. One of us will meet up with him. He can only check out during the day, never after dinner.

I really don't anticipate this being a problem because on the Jewel 2 years ago we could not get him to AO fast enough, and he never wanted to leave. I figure the novelty of signing out will be over in the first couple of days.

Have a great trip!

Kim

Another couple we went with last year on RCCL, they were given a pager-their kids were 3 and 6.

What ship was this? Pagers are used on the older RCCL ships and cell phones on the Freedom Class ships :)

OH and I have to add, those cell phones don't always work. I got in trouble with the counselors because they said they were trying to call me. I handed them the phone, they called it and it wasn't working :rolleyes:

It was Explorer of the Seas-and the same thing happened! They would tell them that they called, yet there were no calls that came through or showed up on the phone.

Sorry, I am new to messageb boards and I don't know how to put someone's post in my message!

It was Explorer of the Seas-and the same thing happened! They would tell them that they called, yet there were no calls that came through or showed up on the phone.

Sorry, I am new to messageb boards and I don't know how to put someone's post in my message!

Just hit "quote" in the post that you want to respond to ;)

And yep, I believe it. I kept getting the "Well we TRIED to call you" like I was some derelict mother who just ignored their call :rolleyes: So I tossed them the phone and made them call me while I stood there...lol.

This thread got me thinking...does anyone have information about walkie-talkies? We are going on RCCL Liberty in March. Does RCCL rent them? Or can we bring the ones that we already own? My daughter is 11 so I believe she will be allowed to check herself out of the kids club. I trust her but this will be a new experience for us. We are so used to having cell phones, etc to keep in touch at home, I will need a way to be able to reach her while on board. I don't think that our personal cell phones will work unless we get some type of international plan, right?

This thread got me thinking...does anyone have information about walkie-talkies? We are going on RCCL Liberty in March. Does RCCL rent them? Or can we bring the ones that we already own? My daughter is 11 so I believe she will be allowed to check herself out of the kids club. I trust her but this will be a new experience for us. We are so used to having cell phones, etc to keep in touch at home, I will need a way to be able to reach her while on board. I don't think that our personal cell phones will work unless we get some type of international plan, right?

Our same friends had walkie talkies too, as his mom was on the cruise as well, and she was older and somewhat nervous to be alone on the boat. They worked great at some points, but at other points, there was too much interference for them to work. And they had expensive ones (these friends always have the newest, best gadgets available!)-it was some ridiculously long distance away that the walkie talkies could be used, in theory!

And thanks about the help regarding putting the quote in the message!!:)

We just returned from our cruise on the Jewel of the Seas -- with a 13 year old in our group. She was able to check herself in and out -- and we had complete trust and faith in her -- but we still didn't want her running around the ship without another person (even a peer). That's just our level of comfort.

We used walkie talkies with great success. As a matter of fact, we all agreed that they were one of the best things we brought! We had one very expensive set of cobras (great reception-- even in port for miles!) and then several varying brands that were pretty cheap for all 12 of us. They all worked good too. I would highly recommend them for you and your daughter.

We didn't have a lot of cell phone luck. Service was spotty at times.

HTH!

Thank you both for the information! I'm definitely going to look into walkie-talkies. I also need to revisit the different age brackets for Adventure Ocean. The last time we cruised was 2 years ago and there is a big difference from being in the 6-8 aged group and now moving up to 9-11.

Does anyone know if you can leave your child at the child care while in port and go ashore? My 7 yr old is too afraid to swim with the stingrays in Grand Cayman but my 10 yr old can't talk about anything else. I have no problem staying on ship relaxing while dh takes our 10 yr old on the stingray excursion but dh wants me to go too. I guess I am hoping they won't allow you to go ashore with a child in the kidclub and I hope someone knows the answer. Thanks!

Does anyone know if you can leave your child at the child care while in port and go ashore? My 7 yr old is too afraid to swim with the stingrays in Grand Cayman but my 10 yr old can't talk about anything else. I have no problem staying on ship relaxing while dh takes our 10 yr old on the stingray excursion but dh wants me to go too. I guess I am hoping they won't allow you to go ashore with a child in the kidclub and I hope someone knows the answer. Thanks!

I don't know about the kids staying on the ship but I do know that we did the Stingray City excursion in Grand Cayman, and I was afraid of the stingrays myself!! I went with my DH and another couple, and I just stayed on the boat while they went into the water. The water there is really shallow, so you would be able to stand in the water and still see your 7 year old on the boat. Trust me, she won't be the only one of the boat as well-I think 25% of us stayed on. They actually picked one up for me, so I could touch it and kiss it! We have it on video-my kids think its the greatest-and I didn't even step into the water!

Even though I don't like to snorkel, I really enjoyed watching everyone-and I still could see everything from the boat. It might be a great way to compromise!

Yes they keep the kids clubs open for that very reason. I would tell your DH to take the 10 year old and consider it a bonding experience ;) Then take some time for yourself at the pool while the 7 year old enjoys the kids club, but you are still close enough to be contacted if she needs you.

I have done this with my fam and it works out well. I send my hubby off to do something with my oldest that my youngest can't do.

Thanks for the replies. I really think that this(just having dh & 10yr old go to stingray city) might be the best way to go. I may book the trip anyway for myself and dd7 (in case she hates the kidclub) and then just cancel and have extra credit. By saving this $ maybe we can do a better excursion at Ochos Rios.

Archived