Is it "do-able" to book one-way flights back and forth?

racepoint

This is a really silly/stupid question, I'm sure, but in my quest for a reasonably-timed (and priced) flight to SEA from the Boston area, I'm not coming up with round-trip-booked flights that will work, timewise. Is it okay to book one-way flights, utilizing different airlines, of course, for both the outgoing and incoming legs of our trip? (TSA/terrorist rules and regs come to mind . . . :confused: )

It is usually more expensive, but a great way to see the TSA in action, as you will undoubtably be flagged for both a body search and luggage search (both carry-ons and checked luggage).

Seriously, when I book on-line I am nearly always given a choice of flights for each leg of my trip. I have never seen round trip that required that I take only certain flights. Of course if you are trying to get only the cheapest, this may limit the time of day or day of the week you can get. Did you try Kayak.com?

Thanks for the tip. I've been aware of kayak.com and have used that site quite a bit . . .and I'm watching the fares go up and the available flights become more limited. My dilemma is the health of my parents (who would be watching our kids while we go on this cruise), thus my reluctance to step up to the plate and plunk down final payment (due end of April). I kinda expect that I would be scrutinized by booking one-way flights, but it's beginning to look like the only way I'll get a decently-timed flight. Thank you for the advice.

I book one-ways all the time. Ive never had an issue or ever even been questioned about it nor have I had any special security searches LOL!

I do it alot for price reasons as well as schedules as I always book from airline sites and do not use orbitz or expedia, etc... The only issue I ever had was when I had to change the dates of a trip and had to pay the change fee twice, once for each booking.

This is a really silly/stupid question, I'm sure, but in my quest for a reasonably-timed (and priced) flight to SEA from the Boston area, I'm not coming up with round-trip-booked flights that will work, timewise. Is it okay to book one-way flights, utilizing different airlines, of course, for both the outgoing and incoming legs of our trip? (TSA/terrorist rules and regs come to mind . . . :confused: )

No, it's not silly at all. I just booked a one way from CMH to MIA for the same reason (departure was great time, return time stunk at 7:30, 8, 9, etc.) on American and I'll probably book a one-way on Continental for our return trip. I'm probably not saving a substantial amount of money but the times work much better for me.:cool: I suppose we'll probably be searched since we have a one-way ticket, but since I have nothing to hide it doesn't really bother me.

I have booked Virgin American from SFO to SEA for may 4th alaska cruise and return SEA to SFO on Alaska Air, price was exactly the same for and times were better on one ways. Also got first class on VA for 177 each as opposed to Alaska Air FC was 279. Buck

Try websites like kayak.com and Southwest.com. Flying into alternative helps too. Instead of Boston's Logan, try going into Manchester, Providence, or even Portland.

I picked a random date (Saturday, March 22 2008) for Southwest and Seattle to Manchester is $158. Seattle to Providence is $164

• 3 weeks later...

Actually cheaper to not book roundtrip for me. I live in Canton, Ohio. Flying to Seattle roundtrip tickets over $500. Booking one ways $320. Flying to Seattle on Frontier and back to Canton on Airtran. This is the first time for me that roundtrip airfare was more money than booking one ways.

Carla

• 3 weeks later...

I have flown many times on one way flights, nothing special about them. I also have never been singled out for a one way flight, and the one flight I should have was when I flew AirTran to FLL and then from Miami on Air Canada back to Toronto. Go ahead and book your ticket for the times that are best for you (but make sure you know how far the airport is from the port and allow time to get to your ship). Enjoy!!! :D :D :D

Even when I am coming back on the same airline I sometimes book two one-way fares as I have found on occasion the total price came in cheaper for some reason. I have booked one-ways many many times and have never been flagged or searched in any way whatsoever. Go for it.

If you do a basic Travelocity or Orbitz type search for airfare, Southwest and other smaller airlines aren't included -- so you should go directly to SW to price airfare to SEA from airports around Boston like Manchester, Providence, Hartford, etc. We fly SW to SEA from Nashville and there is even 1 non-stop per day! Just checked SW from Prov & Manch and you have a number of choices, although all include change of planes once or twice each direction with a wide variety of prices!! SW has reg adult fares as well as great Senior fares (which we are)!

Oh yes, I forgot to say you can book 1-ways with SW with no problem!!! You should also subscribe to DING sales.... Also SW is THE BEST for cancelling a non-refundable ticket -- you just cancel and your money is held in a SW account for you to spend on another SW ticket within a year!

I have done this several times with no problems at all (including no special screening or searches).

1) Flew to Miami on Delta. Returned on Jet Blue in August 2004.

2) 2006 I flew to San Antonio and back. One way on United, the other on American.

3) I am flying to San Juan in April on American and back on Delta.

These are just three that I can think of. I have done others.

I was recently on a cruise from LA to Miami. I flew from Miami to San Antonio on Continental and from San Antonio to Burbank on American - no problems at all.

Archived