Why is a TA Cheaper than Booking Directly w/ NCL

DALLIEDOG

Yes, logic says it should be cheaper. But, the Cruiselines rely on the agents to fill the ships, and they have to pay them something for it. And they offer other incentives along the way. Again, no logic, but just how it works. If they could fill the ships without the agents, they would do it.

Sounds a little silly to me --if I bought apples from the farmers they should be cheaper than buying them from the Super Market !

My Grandfather was a farmer -- he would charge anyone who showed up at his farm (or his farmer stall at the local market) a higher price than he charged the food distributor (for the supermarket chain) because he was selling 'in bulk' to the supermarket.

So, it is quite possible the supermarket would sell apples (ever heard of 'loss leaders') cheaper than the farmer.

I booked our cruise through a TA -- NCL gave us an on-board credit and the TA matched NCL, so we are getting a double-credit. The TA also rebated to us $100 on our credit card bill for being a loyal customer (of the TA, not of NCL). Plus we usually get from this TA a complementary bottle of wine supplied by NCL -- maybe not this time since she gave us a lot already, but probably we will get the wine.

The answer is because NCL is the only major cruise line left that still allows the travel agents to discount their cruises. All the other major cruise lines have banned this practice. It's this reason we use the online travel agents exclusively when booking NCL cruises yet book directly with the other cruise lines.

However, booking with a TA is still better than booking directly. Even if the price is the same. Reason being is that if anything goes wrong, if there are any problems with the cruise, service, etc. the TA will go to bat for you. TA's have a lot more pull and can accomplish a lot more in the end than someone who books directly. Plus the little extra perks you can get from your TA.

She knows discounts, coupons ,etc in advance so I get the discounts in advance when I book with her. She pays gratutities also. She calls or emails cruises that are not selling so we can get 50% off the rates on NCL site. She still gets fo AFT BA stateroom also then they move us to mini.

She knows discounts, coupons ,etc in advance so I get the discounts in advance when I book with her. She pays gratutities also. She calls or emails cruises that are not selling so we can get 50% off the rates on NCL site. She still gets fo AFT BA stateroom also then they move us to mini.

I would be interested in which cruises this 50% has happened since In my experience NCL prices tend to track what discounts are available fairly closely untill the "reduced fare upgrades/upsells" start, you must have done a lot of NCL cruises to get this sort of service/discount.

I have noticed that NCL site can sometime be a bit behind and on-line agents sometimes get the jump on price changes. but generaly they match within a day or two I would not call that "in advance".

As it happend I did the calculations on a few NCL cruises and a well known on-line agent will give 16% discount on comissionable part of the cost booking on-line, so on high cost cabins this will be a considerable saving, for agent that deal direct this makes it a good target for what to expect back in some form eather discount OBC,wine etc.

In the UK agent discounts are typicaly 10% of published fares but I think commisions are lower than in the US, one UK cruise line has its own agency (you need to dig a bit to find the relationship) and they nearly allways get the best fares and act as a clearing house for the late bookings so the actual cruise line web site and regular TA's do not show the real discounted prices.

It is in a cruise lines(and every other business) interest to make it look like prices are at a certain level even when they are discounting below this to clear cabins.

THe crazy thing is that NCL with only 50ish cabins per ship at the suite level if they marketed them direct or with lower commisions they could probably sell them much faster than they do now and still get the revenue.

However, booking with a TA is still better than booking directly. Even if the price is the same. Reason being is that if anything goes wrong, if there are any problems with the cruise, service, etc. the TA will go to bat for you. TA's have a lot more pull and can accomplish a lot more in the end than someone who books directly. Plus the little extra perks you can get from your TA.

That's your opinion. It's my opinion that booking directly is better since I have complete control of my reservation without having to rely on a third party. I don't need any "pull" to manage my own reservation. I would always favor booking directly unless it was cheaper to do otherwise. Which is the case when booking with NCL.

That's your opinion. It's my opinion that booking directly is better since I have complete control of my reservation without having to rely on a third party. I don't need any "pull" to manage my own reservation. I would always favor booking directly unless it was cheaper to do otherwise. Which is the case when booking with NCL.

Both sides are right. Having a TA work for you, or working it yourself direct with cruiseline. That is why both options are available.

I always feel guilty we booked out first cruise at retail price...

For our cruise this summer we booked with an online TA and got a rate 30% off what NCL advertised, $150 onboard credit, and 50% off our deposit. It makes up for the mistake I made last summer. :)

The answer is because NCL is the only major cruise line left that still allows the travel agents to discount their cruises. All the other major cruise lines have banned this practice. It's this reason we use the online travel agents exclusively when booking NCL cruises yet book directly with the other cruise lines.

Not from my experience. I've booked directly with Holland America and used a TA. The TA is always less plus they add in extras (wine, pics, etc.) where HA will only offer the extras if you ask.

Dan

Not from my experience. I've booked directly with Holland America and used a TA. The TA is always less plus they add in extras (wine, pics, etc.) where HA will only offer the extras if you ask.

Dan

Well, if the TA is discounting HAL cruises he can be in a lot of trouble. I'm no HAL expert but I know they are not allowed to do that.

Well, if the TA is discounting HAL cruises he can be in a lot of trouble. I'm no HAL expert but I know they are not allowed to do that.

That may be but we've booked for an Oct cruise and when I go online and compare the TA's price with HAL's price, the TA's is lower. We can't mentions TAs here but if you follow the find a cruise tab above it one of the larger ones mentioned.

Dan

Lucky you, I have never found a TA who gives me any better rate than advertised on the site and have NEVER gotten any extras. I used the same one for my first five cruises. Now IMO at least around here where I am it is not worth the effort to use one. All I am doing is paying them for doing exactly what I can do on my own.

Lucky you, I have never found a TA who gives me any better rate than advertised on the site and have NEVER gotten any extras. I used the same one for my first five cruises. Now IMO at least around here where I am it is not worth the effort to use one. All I am doing is paying them for doing exactly what I can do on my own.

I have never had to pay a T/A to book a cruise for me. The cruise line pays them.

I also use one of the large agencies and my "PCC" always beats NCL's prices. On certain cruises booked in AA's I have saved $2,500.00 per person off NCL.com prices. Plus we always get an OBC.

I have had T/A's that were awful but the one I have now knows his stuff and all always has the best price.

Archived