Walmart or Macadamia Nut Factory

jwhitlow

Definitely cheaper at Walmart. We went to a Walmart in Nawilliwilli, Kauie and found alot of things cheaper. We also bought wine there...of all places. Pineapple wine. Absolutely the best we've ever had. We also loaded up on macs.

7/02 NCL Wind - Alaska (honeymoon)

7/03 NCL Star -Hawaii (1st anniversary)

10/04 RCI Legend - Panama Canal (just because it's there)

There was a show on The Food Network a few weeks back featuring foods in Hawaii. One of the features was "Mac Pies". We will be on the Serenade to Hawaii May 8th and would like to take some home for gifts. Does anyone where the best place to buy them would be, or if one of their stores is close to the pier in Kona?

Nancy

Mac nuts are cheaper at Walmart, but you might want to consider 2-points: First - the freshness of the nuts is better at the Factory, and second - you are supporting the company (Walmart) and not the local folks, who need the income mMUCH more than Walmart.

I tried to get the cheapest auto rental rate prior to our stay in February, and was given a "board"-lecture by Spleen about using a rate-code designed to help the locals. Understanding how expensive things are in Hawaii, and that most folks have to work 2 or 3 jobs just to make ends meet - switched me over to supporting the locals instead.

Having said that, yes, we did some gift shooping at Walmarts while we were there, but we bought things made in Hawaii. Mac nuts would count using this theory, but buying at the factory would be better....IMHO....

Have a great trip!!

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Proud charter member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

Bambam, thank you for that perspective. You can also get plenty of cheap t-shirts, souveniers, Aloha wear and the like at Walmart but notice the word CHEAP in that sentence.

Buying the candy from the local candy maker, buying pineapples from the local grower, etc. It all helps the money go to the people of Hawaii rather than corporations. I like to get dried fruits and nuts at the swap meet on Oahu. Just check the labels for where things are grown and made.

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

We also saw the Macpie show and I'm drooling and can't wait to get one! I went to their website: Macpie and their location is near the airport. It looks to be convenient to stop their if you are getting a rental car. There is a toll free # at the website as well, and I'm sure if you aren't renting a car, they would be glad to tell you if they have any other outlets where you could pick one or two up.

They looked so good, we are considering pre-ordering one to ship home to the neighbor who is picking up our mail. Thought it would be cool to have the pie delivered a day or two after we leave, rather than them having to wait for us to get home. The largers size, 10" I think, sells for $28 which includes shipping.

7 previous cruises, Hawaii on Legend scheduled May 2004, and Enchantment Oct 2004

Bambam - wow, I sound like the board police, don't I? icon_smile.gif I hope I didn't come across as being sanctimonious. While I understand the point of more money going to the people that make the product if you buy it direct, my own feelings about the matter is that as long as you're buying the local-made/local-grown product, that's the main thing. FWIW.

I have to be honest and admit that I've never had this Macpie thingy from the Big Island. May have to fix that the next time I'm there ... though I'm not a big fan of coconut, so that may be a problem ... icon_biggrin.gif

Spleen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Hey Spleen,

By no means were you "the police," just a very appropriate lesson in respecting local realities.

Sometimes we CC members can get sooooo caught-up in finding the best option, the fastest way, at the cheapest price - we lose sight of the local population that lives there year round. Just because we are spending a lot of our money doesn't give us the right to run-roughshod over the locals.

You gave me something to think about while I was visiting, and I respected and honored that viewpoint while there, cheeezzs - Hawaii is just so doggone beautiful and the locals were so friendly and helpful...and if I can get others to see that as well, I'll try.

After all, if we don't respect the culture and needs of the locals, Hawaii, Key West, Cozumel...wherever, we may not have a place to visit in the future...will we.....especially if the engine pods keep burning up in the cruise ships... can you believe the Star????

an eternal Mahalo!!

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

I am quite new to these boards so all of this is new to me. It is helpful to repeat important issues like this once in awhile. Thank you, all!

mnstar on The Star 4/18 ~ wherever she may be sailing that week!

The Mac Pies are delicious (and fattening!) and rich...there are a bunch of flavors, so no problem Spleen. The vanilla with I think chocolate chips is one of my favorites.

The Mac Pie place is now at a much better location for you all. It used to be in Keauhou right next to my work place when I worked there. Sometimes it smelled soooooo yummy!

You will see the Mac Pie factory on the Mauka (towards mountain) side of the highway right behind the Chevron gas station. I did notice a sign on top of the hill just before you get there if you are coming from the airport towards Kona, but I don't really know how easy it would really be to see. Just look for the Chevron and look up and you'll see them.

Apparently, they sell them on QVC sometimes too.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

We were disappointed when we found the exact same macadamia nut candy that we bought in Hawaii for sale at Costco in Washington, D.C. We wasted all that energy dragging it across the Pacific! haha

Oh...I meant to add this before, but I think Long's Drugs are a local company (Right?) and they often have good sales on mac nuts or coffee, etc. I know there is a Long's within walking distance at Kahalui because we walked there.

Just a thought.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Bambam - thank you for taking it in the spirit that it was meant (and disregarding the fact that it was not said very well) icon_smile.gif

Emi - good to know about the other flavors. Longs is actually a California-based company. Didn't know that either until I moved to California. I grew up my whole life thinking that Longs was a Hawaii company. It's still better in Hawaii though than in California. icon_biggrin.gif

Spleen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Spleen: Thanks! I grew up there in CA and don't remember seeing a Long's...maybe in November when I get back there again. Well...that shoots down that idea...

Hey....they also have SAMPLES! on the counter...you can taste and taste until you figure out which you like best.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Does anyone know if it is possible to ship things that you buy at Wal-mart back to the main land while in the store? I guess I should say, do they have shipping cababilites within the stores?

RCL~Navigator 8/2003, Majesty 7/2003, Radiance 4/2003, Monarch 8/2002, Nordic Empress 8/2001

Celebrity~Century 7/2001 & 7/1998, Horizon 7/1991

Future Cruises:

Legend of the Seas 5/7/2004

Enchantment of the Seas 8/30/2004

Brilliance of the Seas 1/14/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;7;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Till Hawaii on the Legend of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till Belize on the Enchantment of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;1;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till the Panama Canal on Brilliance of the Seas!

I don't think so...there is a place like Mail Boxes, Etc., right up the hill near the Walmart here in Kona (right next to Safeway).

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Is it still Mailboxes, Etc? I thought that they were all converting to "The UPS Store".

Spleen

Spleen: No, I'm sure it is not a Mail Boxes, Etc...but like it, though I can't remember what it is called. Maybe I'll have to drive down there anyway... icon_biggrin.gif

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Most Mailboxes etc. stores converted to UPS stores. Apparantly UPS bought the franchise out a couple of years ago and just recently implemented the name change.

As for the Mac Pies, I ordered one last week for Easter and it was fabulous. I don't know if I'd pay the cost again since it was a bit expensive with the 2 day air, but it was wonderful. We had the traditional with chocolate chips. We'll probably pick some up in January when we're there.

KLC

UPCOMING CRUISES:

---------------------

MONARCH OF THE SEAS (04/04)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;16;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

PREVIOUS CRUISES

-------------------------

RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)

Star Princess (6/03)

RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)

Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)

RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

Archived