the MOST important thing to pack!!

cakeone

:p As an experienced cruiser, I knew most of what to pack (or not pack) for our recent trip on the Explorer . Nevertheless, the advice and suggestions I got from these CC boards were extremely valuable.

I'd like to know what everyone else thought their MOST important item was to pack.

For us.. and it was something I hadn't considered before reading the suggestion on these very boards.. was the collapsible cooler.

The 'alleged' fridge in the cabin really isn't a refrigerator at all; more like an extra insulated cabinet of sorts.

That collapsible cooler we purchased at Walmart (camping supplies, for around $20) was worth it's weight in gold!

We were able to keep anything we wanted (bottles of water, cans of soda, wine, even some snacks) ice cold. Just remember to ask your cabin attendant to refill with ice at least once a day! :D

We love our collaspable cooler too! So many uses:

1- bring beverages on board or electronics you don't want to check

2- take when you go off ship to carry all beach items in or food if allowed

3- can fold up and slide under bed without using a lot of space if you don't need it

4- when you get off ship, you can put all your newly purchased items or liquor that you purchased in it!

We like to bring an old giftcard with a magnetic strip for our safes. Highlighters (different colors for each person) so we can go over next day activities and highlight what is important and we each want to do

A notepad so we can write each other notes

An 8 1/2 x 11 envelope to keep all of our papers in

Downy Wrinkle Releaser- it works wonders!

So glad to see a thread like this again.I too have gotten so much good information from these boards as to what to pack. Seems like there used to be alot of these threads but anymore some people complain that it has been said over and over. I think that they forget that we have new cruisers reading these boards all the time. I tell everyone I know that they should read these boards when they are taking there first cruise.

Some of my favorite items that have been told to take are the over the door shoe hanger. (This comes in handy for alot of things up outa the way and you can see what is there.) Also the night light, air freshener, clothes pins, alarm clock,I also take baggies and put the day on them to hold the flim that is taken that day, the power strip, this list goes on and on. Thank you to everyone that has taken the time in the past to post these things.

HI, we go in about three months. I like this idea of a collapsible cooler - we don't have them here. Can anyone tell me where to get them currently? We don't have Walmart here but I can get one there if Walmart still have them - does anyone know if they do?

One more question - what's a powerstrip? Is it what we call a power board - like a multiple double adaptor?

I had also read about the nightlight idea on this board and we will definitely be buying one of those - but again will get one there due to plug differences.

For us so far - I find those little elastic 'pegless' clothes lines really handy, and I used to adore my folding scissors until some over zealous security guard too them from me when boarding in Hong Kong. Must get some more of those and pack them in the main luggage this time.

Oh, do you mean a cooler bag? Now that's an insipiration. I can bring one of those from here. For some reason the words collapsible made me think of something hard that folded down. But I think maybe it's a bag, sort of silver lined and insulated? Am I on the right track?:o

I think what the poster that mentioned the card with the magnetic strip was to be used to open the safe. Some of the older ships have the type of safe that requires a card (like and expired credit card or gift card as was mentioned) to open and close the safe. The first ship we went on (the Enchantment) had this type but the others have been the kind that you can select your own 4 digit pin.

Why bring the old giftcard with a magnetic strip for our safes?

I think I can answer this one. On Disney and in hotel rooms, we've found that you can use any card with a magnetic strip to lock the safes ... you just have to be sure you use the same card to unlock the safe as you do to lock it. We use a card other than our seapass so that DH can get into the safe if I'm not with him (if I used my card to lock the safe). Then, we hide it in the room somewhere where both of us can access it. It works great.

Yes- you are right, on Disney ships they have the safes you open with a card. The bad thing is that the first card to open the safe is the ONLY card that can ue from then on. You have to have call the Purser's Desk and have them send someone to open it if you don't remember which one you used. ( I guess you see this has happened to me a couple of times!)

As for the collaspable coolers- I would wait and get one in the states of you aren't sure. They fold down to flat, have wheels, and a retracting handle. Almost like a piece of luggage. They are sold at Sams, Wal-Mart, Sears, JC Pennys etc but I have never been to Australia:( so I am not sure where you can get them at. Maybe you can order online. They really are wonderful.

Andreadan- thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers. This has been an eventful hurricane season. We have a cruise coming up next month as well on Mariner!!

Archived