Best excursions for little kids...May 18-25

2babybears

We are taking the Pearl to Alaska (first timers) with our little ones, 5yr old boy and baby girl who will be 1yr. Looking for great family excursions. We will have extended family with us...Grandma and Grandpa and their auntie and uncle....so lots of help.

Is there a "better" company to go with for whale watching with little ones? Is it even a good idea to go with a 15month old?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Since you are asking- a 3 hour tour with a toddler may not be the best idea. I went out twice last year, and did have a small child on board- the kid was terrible, crying, and the parents didn't see a thing. It also was probably the longest 3 hours of the week.

Again, only a suggestion, but you may want to consider tours of an hour or less and the ability to bail out if needed. Each port is a great walking area. You can get walking tour maps in Fodor' Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, head to your library.

I would also not consider excursions as a group. There are bound to be priorities for some, so split up and enjoy those.

I'm in the same boat (ha, ha!). I have two kids who adore whales and am thinking about a whale watching excursion. What are the boats like? Do they feel stable and secure? The girls are 8 and 4 but can often be chickens.

We're also sailing in early May and it will be interesting to see how many other kids are onboard.

We are taking the Pearl to Alaska (first timers) with our little ones, 5yr old boy and baby girl who will be 1yr. Looking for great family excursions. We will have extended family with us...Grandma and Grandpa and their auntie and uncle....so lots of help.

Is there a "better" company to go with for whale watching with little ones? Is it even a good idea to go with a 15month old?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Oh, it's too bad, we are going a week early! My daughter will be 20 months and maybe our two girls could have played together!!!! We are also looking for family friendly excursions. We were going to do the train ride and gold rush tour and the helicopter (probably doesn't qualify as family friendly, but my daughter is pretty adventurous). Good luck!!! I'm glad to see I'm not the only crazy mom out there traveling with an infant!!! We are bringing grandma too :) I love grandma!!!!!

We are on the same itinerary in August. My kids will be almost 7 and almost 4.

I try to stick with excursions in the 3 hour or less range, certainly would not do more than 4.

We booked the whale watch through the ship b/c I want to be on a larger boat as DH is prone to motion sickness.

Actually, I am booking all the excursions through the ship this time just for the sake of simplicity.

In Juneau we will do the whale watch.

In Skagway the White Pass Rail in the am

the gold panning in the pm

In Ketchikan the Duck tour

the lumberjack show

We can always cancel, amend or change if this is too much or not the right stuff. But for now I think these are good bets for our bunch.

Archived