Will they Let me On The Ship?

sas80

I just came down with pinkeye....we are leaving Saturday to fly to San Juan to depart on the Serenade Saturday evening....

Think they can prevent me from boarding because I am carrying an infectious disease?:confused:

Man...the havoc I could wreak!

Move aside norovirus, there's a new disease in town! :D

They made us sign a waiver saying we weren't feeling ill, coughing, having bowel problems or any other kind of infectious disease when we boarded Constellation. Seeing how terribly contageous pink eye is, they could deny boarding. Nothing like spreading that among 2000 passengers and crew. BTW, the waiver we signed was a legal document.

If you start some medicine today, you might be much better by Saturday. It's powerful stuff and works quickly. If you can't get to the doctor, go to a drug store and pick up this stuff to start:

http://www.similasanusa.com/products-pink-eye-relief.cfm

oh! never mind...I definitely have a thick yellow discharge that forms a crust on the eye lid and some eye pain

Do not use:

bulletpoint.gif If you are experiencing a thick, white yellow or green discharge that forms a crust on the eye lid. bulletpoint.gif If the solution changes color or becomes cloudy. bulletpoint.gif If you experience eye pain or changes in vision. bulletpoint.gif If you frequently contract infections that don't clear up easily.

Do you have a nursing baby in the house, by chance? Some might not like this, but we have had great success with breastmilk.

Conjuctivitis

Conjuctivitis, commonly known as pink eye, is a type of eye infection that is highly contagious and very unpleasant to have. It causes the eye to become inflamed, crusted, and sore. Many people treat conjunctivitis by applying a small amount of breast milk to the affected eye. A particular antibody in the breast milk, called immunoglobulin A, prevents the pink eye bacteria from attaching to the mucosal surface of the eye. This limits the growth of the bacteria, helping to end the eye infection. If you develop pinkeye, simply squirt a little breast milk directly onto the surface of your eye. Lift your eyelid slightly to help the breast milk circulate underneath. Continue this treatment three times a day for a couple of days, or until the eye infection has cleared. If your symptoms persist or worsen, though, seek medical advice.

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/breastfeeding_illness.html

Get to your doctor (or if you have a good relationship with your doctor just CALL your doctor) and get some antibiotic eye drops. After 24 hours of treatment with the eye drops you are no longer contagious, although you have to keep taking the eye drops throughout the prescribed course.

My DD got pinkeye a LOT, and she was only allowed to return to school after 24 hours on the medicine. I would think that if you get the eye drops today, by Saturday you can honestly and legally say that you are not contagious or infectious or whatever.

Have a great trip!

Whatever you do, please make sure you wash your hands frequently.

And, needless to say, don't touch your eyes!

Carry some eyedrops and a supply of kleenex with you. If you need to cleanse your eyes when out and about, make sure you either wash your hands right afterward, or carry moist towelettes to wipe your hands and a ziplock bag or the like to dispose of the soiled kleenex and towelettes.

That will greatly help in preventing the spread of the disease to others.

I hope you'll be able to cruise. Good luck to you.

True pink eye is no longer contageous 24 hours after starting treatment, so get your butt to a doc, quickly ;)

The GOOD news is that there are THREE types of pink eye, Bacterial, Viral and ALLERGIC conjunctivitis. So not all of them are contageous.

I have had my fair share of allergic conjuctivitis and I wasn't contageous and all I had to do was to take an allergy med.

If it is viral - then it was caused by a cold virus. You can't do anything about that.

Bacterial conjutivites is the only one that can be treated by antibiotic eye drops. And they work quickly. Go to a doc.

Just put a pirate patch on and be a pirate for your cruise

AARGH!!! :D

You will be fine - just take the antibiotics. Do you have a CVS near you? Go to the minute clinic and they will check you and write and fill the prescription immediately. MUCH better then waiting forever for a doctor.

Oh goodness! We had this happen to use 3 years ago before our cruise. My 2 year old son and I came down with it. We called the doctor's office and they just sent in a prescription for the drops. In fact, my husband decided to take them too as a preventative (make sure you wash the tip before he uses it and you shouldn't touch your eye with the dropper).

It ususally clears up pretty fast, but make sure you wash your hands and don't rub your eyes!

Definitely get some meds from your doctor. I would not leave on a cruise

with pink eye which could lead to an infection or something else. You do

not want to have to see the doctor on the ship if it gets worse $$$$$

Why take the chance..........medicate before you leave!!!!

It really shouldn't be a problem. Even starting eye drops on Friday there should be plenty of improvment. I would be very surprised if the cruise line would say anything. You really wouldn't be posing a threat to anybody either, unless you end up having a lot of physical contact with other passengers. Good luck, hope it cleats up for you. Have a great cruise.

How long do they take to work? Because Boyeeeee do I look FUGLY!! :D

It takes about 24 hours to take effect. And REALLY don't let this go. There was a mom on my online group who let it go and a few days later she had to go to the ER. She said it was the worst pain ever. She said it felt like sand paper in her eye. And you don't want that happening on the cruise. I can tell you that even a quick trip to the ship's doc costs about $200 :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this. Polysporin eye drops is something I should add to my travel medical kit.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend. Just a little advice. Buy another bottle if possible in case you get it in the other eye or someone else in your family gets it or you might just keep passing it around.

Have a great cruise.

Karysa

Archived