Shopping

captain_oats

The downtown stores are the typical Carribean shops with many, many Jewelry stores (including Little Switzerland) and a strip of "huts" that sell tourist cr*p including the typical tee shirts. There is little to no Aruban crafts available.

There are some standard clothing stores in the shopping stores in the Renaissance hotel area.

Aruba offers a lot of shopping besides just clothign and jewelry.

http://www.aruba.com/whattodo/shopping.php

Imo, the nicest souvenirs and easily transportable are local paintings. http://www.aruba.com/whattodo/handicrafts.php These can be easily found within short walking distance of the ship.

The souvenir stands to which I refer are in the center of this aerial view and the main cruise ship dock is in the lower left hand corner.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.519552&lon=-70.039505&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2

Some people swear by jewelry "deals" at the stores on the island. Just know what the approximate value should be to know whether or not you are really getting a "deal". My Mom, on the recommendation of a friend who purchases items there every year, just bought a blue diamond ring at Gold Palace Jewelers and it is gorgeous.

Will Be Taking A Panama Canal Cruise Feb.08. Have Not Been To Any Of These Ports. Aruba Sounds Beautiful And Your Information Extremely Helpful. Thanks. I Am Interested In Aloe Products As Gifts And To Goto A Beautiful Beach With Lots Of Shade - What Do You Suggest. Should I Take A Tour To The Aloe Factory??? We Are Only In Port From 7am Until 1pm. I Am Really Not Into A Lot Of Water Sports And Crowded Beaches, Just Want To Swim, Walk The Beach, Maybe Pick Up Shells And Sip On A Delicious Drink.:d :d :) :) Also, Local Crafts.

WILL BE TAKING A PANAMA CANAL CRUISE FEB.08. HAVE NOT BEEN TO ANY OF THESE PORTS. ARUBA SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL AND YOUR INFORMATION EXTREMELY HELPFUL. THANKS. I AM INTERESTED IN ALOE PRODUCTS AS GIFTS AND TO GOTO A BEAUTIFUL BEACH WITH LOTS OF SHADE - WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST. SHOULD I TAKE A TOUR TO THE ALOE FACTORY??? WE ARE ONLY IN PORT FROM 7AM UNTIL 1PM. I AM REALLY NOT INTO A LOT OF WATER SPORTS AND CROWDED BEACHES, JUST WANT TO SWIM, WALK THE BEACH, MAYBE PICK UP SHELLS AND SIP ON A DELICIOUS DRINK.:D :D :) :) ALSO, LOCAL CRAFTS.:confused:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.519552&lon=-70.039505&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2

Some people swear by jewelry "deals" at the stores on the island. Just know what the approximate value should be to know whether or not you are really getting a "deal". My Mom, on the recommendation of a friend who purchases items there every year, just bought a blue diamond ring at Gold Palace Jewelers and it is gorgeous.

Lisa - thanks for the information. I'll plan on those souvenir shops. Do you know where the Gold Palace Jewelers is located?

Also, we're going on the Panama Canal cruise in Feb 08 (RC Brilliance - same as hippe girl?). There's a excursion to some theater within 100 yards of the ship where you can see Panoramic Aruba - the only excursion for people in wheelchairs. I was going to take my dad to that. Do you know where that is? Thanks so much!

http://www.arubapanorama.com/ is in the Crystal Theater at the Renaissance (Marina Tower I belive).

I will double check with my Mom, but I am almost positive Gold Palace is right there on the main road through Oranjestad, LG Smith Blvd. across the street from the vicinity of the bus station. In other words, just down the road a short ways from the souvenir stands, and opposite side of the street from the Renaissance.

Hi, I Will Be On The Coral Princess 2-25-08.

We're going on the Brilliance of the Seas Feb 1. I think we'll have a great time because it's 23 here now and 80+ there! Too bad we're not on the same cruise. Did you see the post someone left today for photos from Aruba and Panama from the Dec Coral Princess?

Thanks, Lisa for your helpful info. Why do you keep going back to Aruba - 17 times?

Thanks, Lisa for your helpful info. Why do you keep going back to Aruba - 17 times?

You are very welcome! Keep that ship nice now. ;) My parents are sailing the Brilliance TA in April. :)

Why Aruba For Us . . .

Beautiful white powder sand beaches,

Sparkling turquoise blue waters,

Perfect guaranteed weather year 'round means no "rain outs",

Gorgeous accommodations . . .Large or small . . .In every price range,

Terrific restaurants for every taste...Gourmet to fast food, Prices for every budget

AND the warm and friendly Aruban people.

Not during hurricane season, but if we could get to Grenada from Atlanta, without an overnight layover, we would vacation in Grenada too. Besides Aruba, La Sagesse and a Sky Suite on any Celebrity ship are my other heavens on earth.

la-sagesse.jpg

la-sagesse.jpg

I loved Curacao, dh thought it was nice and was more "comfortable" with Aruba. Since he is the one workign the two full time jobs to pay for our "habit";) I will let him choose. :D

Beautiful photos! Do you always go by cruise ship or fly directly there to stay a week or so?

Thanks, those two shots above I took while we were on the Galaxy with a stop in Grenada. When we do not cruise, we take land vacations to Aruba.

WISH I WERE GOING FEB 1 TOO. IT WAS 11 DEGREES HERE IN VA. THIS AM. THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW ABOUT THE DEC. PHOTOS OF CORAL PRINCESS AND PANAMA CANAL. LISA, YOUR PHOTOS WERE BEAUTIFUL. YOU REALLY KNOW ARUBA AND I SEE WHY YOU KEEP GOING BACK. WHERE CAN YOU GET THE BEST DEALS ON ALOE PRODUCTS. EVERYONE HERE WANTS SOME.:confused: :eek:

WHERE CAN YOU GET THE BEST DEALS ON ALOE PRODUCTS. EVERYONE HERE WANTS SOME.:confused: :eek:

I have been "told" that the best pricing in Aruba for Aruba Aloe is in the supermarket.

Now having said that, three weeks ago I bought a 9 oz. bottle of their Face Care lotion at the Tamarijn Resort's gift shop for $9 and change + tax. On their website they charge $11.95 + shipping.

Check out some of their prices online before you leave and then you can comparison shop:

ARUBA ALOE FACTORY AND STORE LOCATIONS

• Aruba Aloe Factory, Museum & Store
    Pitastraat 115, Oranjestad, Aruba
  • Aruba Aloe @ Renaissance Mall Downtown
    L. G. Smith Boulevard 82, Oranjestad, Aruba
  • Aruba Aloe @ Aruba Reina Beatrix Airport in Oranjestad
  • Coming Soon- Aruba Aloe @ Paseo Herencia Shopping Center

Aruba Aloe kiosk locations:

• Royal Plaza Shopping Mall Downtown
  • Arawak Garden: Restaurant & Shopping Center

I can tell you that the actual factory museum and store has the best selection of product...I mean you will find EVERYTHING they make there. But you do not have to shell out the extra money for the factory tour. THAT I understand is a waste of money. You would need a taxi to get to the Factory store. The Royal Plaza location and the Renaissance Mall location are both within walking distance of the ship.

Hippie lady - I just realized you live in Roanoke. We're in NoVa in Vienna. Very cold here too. I love Roanoke. How did you hear about Aloe products that all your friends want?

Arubalisa - I hope you are getting paid by the Aruba Tourism department - you're a great promoter!

Arubalisa - I hope you are getting paid by the Aruba Tourism department - you're a great promoter!

:D No, just something I do as a labor of love. I was a volunteer EMT for seven years so I obviously love helping people, and as you can tell, also love Aruba.

Arubalisa,, Thanks Sooo Much For Your Info. On Aloe. I Read About The Factory In One Of These Threads And Know That Aloe Products Are Great. I Will Take Your Advice As To Where To Shop. Also, I Love Shell Collecting - What Is Your Advice As To Which Beach To Go To??? I Appreciate Your Help. Luvstraveling - Roanoke Is A Great City And Both Of Us Will Be Glad To Get Out Of This Cold.:( Wish We Were On The Same Ship As I Would Enjoy Meeting You And Your Dad. What Are Your Ports?? Mine Are Aruba((only Half A Day):( ,cartagena, Col., Panama Canal, Colon, Panama ,limon, Costa Ricca And Ocho Rios, Jamaica.this Cruise Cannot Get Here Soon Enough For Me.:d

Arubalisa,, Thanks Sooo Much For Your Info. On Aloe. I Read About The Factory In One Of These Threads And Know That Aloe Products Are Great. I Will Take Your Advice As To Where To Shop. Also, I Love Shell Collecting - What Is Your Advice As To Which Beach To Go To??? I Appreciate Your Help.

You are very welcome! They will "tell" you not to take shells. :rolleyes: This past visit a couple of weeks ago, we were in Aruba for 12 nights, in the ocean and on the beach every single day and came home with a whopping 3 shells. Imo, not worth your time searching. ;)

One More Note - I Just Clicked On To Pics And Info On All Your Cruises - Wow-i Am Not That Knowledgeable With The Computer But Your Links Are Wonderful.:d :d

Thank you! :o

Arubalisa - looking at your picture, you must have started out as an EMT when you were still in diapers!

Are the Aloe products really great? I don't generally use Aloe.

:D LOL, my avatar is my 11 yo dd. ;) I only wished I looked that good. Think I may have a pic for a new avatar though from our last trip. :D

Aloe? I have sensitive skin, the only product they make which I CANNOT use is their sunscreen. I cannot remember off the top of my head, but there is one ingredient in it that REALLY makes me itch.

About 4 years ago I switched from a VERY expensive Estee Lauder face regime to simply using their Face Care Lotion and it works for me!!! All that money I save can pay for a dinner in Aruba! Our family also uses their shampoo and conditioner and I use their body wash.

Arubalisa I also will be taking much of your suggestions when we are in Aruba in March it is nice to be prepared with beaches and shopping, etc before going, I am looking forward to some shopping and relaxing on the beach and in the water.

I wish I could see your pictures but unfortunately I only get a very large blue screen with letters the size of my monitor when I click on your Aruba picture link. Can't wait to get to the Island and see it all for myself.

Lorinda

Archived