Why does your deck matter?

shallow sea

I refuse to sail on anything but deck 7. It's just quiet there.

I'm staying in my first inside in two weeks. I'm booking one inside for next year and one balcony. The reason? I want to do two cruises on two different ships, but I don't want to pay out $4500 for two balconies for two weeks of cruising.

One week of an inside guarantee will save a good chunk of change!

We like being as close as possible to the buffet.......as well as the pool deck. In other words, we want to get fatter and tanner......any other benefits from a cruise are just extra and we appreciate those too !

I still don't understand why alot of people we know have zero interest in cruising !! Oh well !! Now what's on the buffet today ? And where's the suntan lotion ?:)

My son treated me to the Mexican Riviera on the Pride last January. As someone that usually cruises alone . . . I've always had an inside cabin on whatever deck was available. Last January, we had a suite with a fantastic balcony (thanks to his military discount) . . . it was like an entirely different cruising experience . . . best I've had in the eight cruises I've been on (well, a lot of it also had to do with being able to spend the time with my son who is a helicopter pilot with the Coast Guard in Kodiak, Alaska).

I just book an April 27th cruise on the Valor and . . . while I can't afford a suite or even a balcony . . . I did opt for an ocean view. I'm with those of ya all that like the "sway" of the ship on the water. When I cruise, I want to feel like I'm on the water as opposed to being in a hotel room on land . . . (G)

I guess it just depends on where you prefer. We have been on Main, Riveria, Veranda, and Panarama deck. We prefer Veranda. It seems to be closer to all the action. Just our preferance. But when we book last minute, we take what they give us. Our short 3/4 day cruises are last minute. our 7 day is pre planned and room chosen.

We have always booked the cheapest - we love the cabins on the Riviera in the front - you get an outside cabin for the price of an inside!!:)

The worst cabin we ever had was below the gym/spa - not good for night owls - with the treadmills going at 6 am.......:eek:

When I look at booking a cruise through my eyes, there are 4 choices...

...Inside, Outside, Balcony, and Suite. More power to them if they can make people pay for a different deck, but on our side of the coin is there really any benefit? I know that some people prefer and are even willing to pay extra for a specific deck? Why?

disclosure- the first cruise of my adult life my cabin was on the bottom deck. I guess I just had so much fun with no complaints that it seemed silly to ever pay extra or even care which deck I was on.

Although you proably have the asnwer you were looking for, I thought I would asnwer too

I'm one of the ones that dosen't care where they are. I LIKE a deck close to the food, but other then that it doesn't bother me. I always let the cruise line assign me a room. Having a room at either end of the ship is my choice. That way I can walk off what I ate. HA!

Aft Verandah- period.... Just my preference :) I actually would not cruise in an inside or oceanview after cruising balcony- my experience would not be as expected. I highly enjoy using my balcony mornings and evenings and wouldn't give it up. :)

We have been on the bottom floors, center floors and top floors. We

been in the locations midship, front and back.

The only area we don't like is the 1st guest floors. As in some rooms you

can hear/feel the engines. We were lucky to have a room on the 1st floor

away from the engines. But as we walk to the elevator we could feel them in the hall.

But short of that we find no differences ourselves with the waves, rocking

of the ship etc.

It all matters when you have a balcony. Its all about the view IMHO.

For me, the first time that the deck mattered was our last cruise, which was the first time that our children would be cruising. I wanted to be on the deck with the entrance to the Kid's Korner (NCL Sun), so that our girls wouldn't feel like they were so far away from us, when we dropped them off. On the first day, they were so happy to lead us from the children's club straight to our room, because they could easily find there way around.

Less than a week ago, I booked another family cruise (Carnival Inspiration) and my main concern was that I didn't want to be under public rooms. Since we require connecting rooms, we don't always have a big selection of cabins to choose from, but I after calling a couple of days in a row, I was finally able to snag cabins on the main deck, which put is in between other cabins, and I am very pleased.

As for the three previous cruises, I didn't care about the deck, because I just wanted to be on the ship. :D

If you look at the deck plans on most of the newer Carnival ships, the Empress deck is the only deck that has just passenger cabins above and below it. There is never a chance to be booked under or above a noisy disco or engine room. It is also the middle deck. This is, most likely, why almost all the suites are located on this deck.

This is my 10th Carnival cruise and would stay in no other room than a suite. My wife and I love the extra room and the location on the ship.

To each his/her own !!!:cool:

On our last cruise, we had an inside stateroom that was amidships on the Main Deck, and now we will have an inside staterooom on the Upper Deck in the aft part of the ship, just 4 rooms aft of the stairs and elevators.

Anyone have good/bad experiences with a situation like this? Is there anything I need to expect/prepare for with this stateroom placement?

If I was booking an inside cabin, I don't think I would care about the deck.

I care a bit more on the balcony becasue I really don't want to look at lifeboats, so I prefer the Veranda Deck.

Besides the obvious views you get at all hours of the day by having a balcony when not on Deck... I like a balcony especially coming and going into Ports early in the morning as I can stand out on my balcony barely dressed. :eek:

I also like the balcony when getting ready for dinner... or to relax in the morning while my wife sleeps... or to have a cocktail on... and to just watch the water pass by.

And there is nothing better than Boinking on the Balcony... :D

We have been on deck 8 under the Lido deck buffett, never heard a sound except one day a chair. and that was it.

we did not use our balcony, so it was a waste I think we were out there for maybe 2 hours the whole cruise.

We were on Riveria deck and did not care for that deck. seemed too far away from everything but when booking last minute you don't really have a choice.

we prefer veranda deck. closer to the action.

Archived