Going Away Gifts for Children

Livabeth

Has anyone ever given "Cruise Gifts/Surprises" for their children either just prior to the cruise or when you first get on the cruise??

When we went to Disney last year, I gave my two daughters Princess gift bags filled with fun (dollar store) stuff that they used on the plane down and while in Disney. They found them the morning we were leaving hanging on their bedroom doors. They absolutely loved them!!

Has anyone ever done anything like this before?? If so, what gifts/surprises have you done??

Thanks for your ideas!!

For our cruise in October we got each of the kids a small themed tote full of little gadgets. We got the kids cool Lanyards for the S&S cards, bandanas, journals, pens, bubble gum, small toys, travel size bath supplies, etc.

They were very excited to open them and things inside keep them all busy for a few nap times for hubby and I!

Great idea with the decorations Cruisemama. How do you arrange this before hand??

Unfortunately I just checked the Princess web site and they don't offer cabin decorations like RCCL, CCL and Disney does. I don't know why but they don't (as far as I can tell). Usually you can preorder that the cabin be decorated (for about $29) and when you arrive the cabin is all decked out.

What they do have is "Bon Voyage Gifts". You can preorder gifts to be waiting in the cabin. I noticed they have Princess Cruise Line bears that can be preordered to the cabin for your arrival. You just have to click here....then download the order form

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/services/gifts/boutiques/boutiques2.jsp

I always get the kids the teddy bears. Even my teenagers and older still wanted their teddy bears. Unfortunately they no longer have the actual teddy in the room. You just get a gift card to take to the gift shop. Loses something, especially for the little ones. However, my 16 YO niece is going on her first cruise with the family and she shyly came up to me to ask if I was still going to do the teddy bear in the room thing..... well I am now! :rolleyes: Ordered it the next day.

One year I took my two older boys and put beach stuff in the room and said it was from the cruise fairy and still to this day they talk about their gifts from the cruise fairy and wandered if they would get something from the cruise fairy this year when we go. It was just inexpensive things from wal-mart but they loved it.

-Sabrina:p

Bribary for good behavior- mom's best tool. When my boys were younger I would wrap little gifts and keep them in my carry on. ( since 911 can't carry wrapped gifts) I would give them one IF and only IF they were on their best behavior. the gifts would be things to occupy them, hidden picture books etc. My children learned to behave on a plane, I had peace and quiet and still came away the hero for to my boys and to other passengers.

We don't do carribean cruises so our gifts tend to be a bit different -- always related to the cruise/trip we are going to take.

For "bribary" presents or as part of a gilft basket when my DD was young, I relied upon "Dover Press" books (4x6" booklets with either stickers, puzzels, coloring pages, or the like. Lot's of different "themes" and ones that appeal to various age levels.) Klutz Press has some great book/activities that work on the plane or in the car and on the ship -- they have a pre-school press with some great self-contained activities books as well) -- DD and her 12YO cousin still do "string games" whenever stuck in the back seat of the car for any period of time. American Girl's Minute Mysteries, puzzel books, and quiz books are popular.

Small party-sized items are great -- since they usually come in six packs, arrange trades with your kid's friends' parents. Party sized Playdoh is great fun.

When DD was younger, I'd pick up some "state" pencils at the local educational store (with info about Wisconsin) and she'd give them to her friends at the kids club at the end of the trip.

This April we are cruising with our daughters & their families. Our grandson is 9 (it is his first cruise) & will be the only kid in the group. I am putting together some gift things I think he might use for the cruise. So far I have found a pocket size set of binoculars, disposable camera (to take pics of his new friends & things he sees), a Kids travel journal (it has places to map the trip, make packing lists, write new friends addresses in etc...), a couple pens, and a sports arm band for his ipod. We have a lanyard from previous cruises so maybe I will throw that in too... Any other ideas anyone has would be great. I hope he has as much fun as I always do! :D

My kids are older, and I usually get them a new game for their portable video game (DS), a new paperback or two, puzzle books, and markers or pencils and a pad. I give them this before the flight to our port. The only thing they actually use after the flight is the video game (when I can get them out of the Kids Club and activities).

Yep last cruise I did Disney beach bags filled with beach toys for the kids. I also make sure the cabin is decorated upon arrival, they love that.

So sorry to see the cancelled Caribbean Cruise on 4/5/08. We are going and your girls (great picture) look about the age of my daughter (7). Too bad!!:(

Rhonda

• 1 month later...
This April we are cruising with our daughters & their families. Our grandson is 9 (it is his first cruise) & will be the only kid in the group. I am putting together some gift things I think he might use for the cruise. So far I have found a pocket size set of binoculars, disposable camera (to take pics of his new friends & things he sees), a Kids travel journal (it has places to map the trip, make packing lists, write new friends addresses in etc...), a couple pens, and a sports arm band for his ipod. We have a lanyard from previous cruises so maybe I will throw that in too... Any other ideas anyone has would be great. I hope he has as much fun as I always do! :D

How about an underwater camera? And some cruise related stickers to go in his travel journal? Also, buy some postcards where he lives and use those to exchange with new friends--he can write his address on them. You could also make a coupon for the kids program; or something from a gift shop, etc. Keep your eyes open at the dollar store, Target's $1 bin, etc. Waterproof sunscreen chap stick...all kinds of little things! You know he'll have fun!!!!!

I am taking my 10yo daughter on the spirit in june and my DH who cannot go wants to surprise her with a decorated room and the backpack they show on the gift page. does anyone know what comes in this back pack and if it is worth the money or would it be better to make our own gift bag and I can put it in the room myself?

• 10 months later...
Unfortunately I just checked the Princess web site and they don't offer cabin decorations like RCCL, CCL and Disney does. I don't know why but they don't (as far as I can tell). Usually you can preorder that the cabin be decorated (for about $29) and when you arrive the cabin is all decked out.

What they do have is "Bon Voyage Gifts". You can preorder gifts to be waiting in the cabin. I noticed they have Princess Cruise Line bears that can be preordered to the cabin for your arrival. You just have to click here....then download the order form

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/services/gifts/boutiques/boutiques2.jsp

Princess will for free decorate your door if you have a birthday or anniversary. What you can do, is send your husband and girls off when you board to check out the pools and decorate the cabin yourself with whatever other ships do. Just stick it in your carry on.

I do like the idea of surprise bags for travel. New and unique items to keep the kids entertained. For our room on Princess I order the Guacamole and chips, they have good stuff.

Somewhere on another thread someone mentioned to bring Bubbles for the kids for Sailaway. I thought that to be a neat idea. Yoo yoo's and jacks are fun for the older children. You all got me thinking :>)! We have five children in our family group.

How much does the Carnival Lanyards cost? And does it have velcro at the neck?

I don't remember exact price but I know that the lanyards we buy are always under $5 each. I am thinking more like $3.99. And yes, on the Carnival lanyard there is velcro at the top.

This thread is a little old - so anyone else reading this, on Disney, if you are a returning cruiser then you will be given a Castaway Club lanyard when you check in. On RCCL - some ships give the kids special Adventure Ocean lanyards.

We are sailing Carnival Liberty on Valentines Day and I am making my kids V-Day gift bags to give them as gifts when we arrive in our room. I bought some decorations so we can decorate our room together. They are 2 and 4 so they will think its really fun.

I have always bought my lanyards before we go at Walmart or Claire's or the Party store and the kids can pick out their own sports, monkey or flower lanyard. I can usually pick them up for $2-$3. We have been on a couple of cruises where they rec'd one when we signed them up for the kids room, but not all. My daughter bought one on Princess last year and it was about $7. It was not the thick type, but a little skinnier. We also got freebie lanyards at Del Sol in one port.

Archived