Alaska trip in winter

emliss

Hello all (especially Yukon and BudgetQueen),

Took our first cruise last August-September. We chose Alaska to try out cruising. Did an independent land tour and then sailed Inside Passage, southbound. Following the advise of many from this board, we had a wonderful experience. Long story short (too late), we are going back but this time my husband wants to go there in winter or at least when it is snow covered (not mountians only)! I realize a cruise is out of the question at that time but see photos from others who were there in the winter. Did you fly in to Anchorage or Fairbanks and then drive? Really, is this a doable trip for us (both in our sixties and not all that active)? Can handle leisurely walks for about 2 miles, slight inclines, some steps. All input would be appreciated. Planning for early spring or winter '09.

Thanks

emliss

Absolutely it is doable - many people come in the winter. There are lots of options, but to start, what interests you about coming in the winter? Mushing, aurora viewing, snowy scenery - each has a somewhat different area to focus on.

I've made 2 winter trips. I suggest you might want to consider March. First off, it's good daylight, had 12 hours. Although I did hit a spell of -25 at night, daytime, had me in a light jacket some days and never below 20.

I have flown into both Fairbanks and Anchorage. 2 weeks each trip.

The Ice sculpting championships in Fairbanks are not to be missed. http://www.icealaska.com I snowmobiled several times, including a night trip. Did dog sledding 3 times, did a grey whale watch out of Seward, and tried to aurora watch, EVERY night. ( you need 2 weeks in my opinion, if this is a priority)

Thanks for the input to this point. Hadn't thought of March but will explore that. We were there in late summer - early fall last year and it was more beautiful than I could imagin. We saw a lot of wild life and even an aurora one night outside of Denali. DH is interested in seeing another side of Alaska, obviously a snow covered Alaska! Mushing wan't even on the list but may be something we would do. I guess seeing Alaska differently from our first experience is what DH is interested in. I think Alaska would look different every time you go because of climate, visibility, clouds, whatever, it would always be different.

My DB wants us to go with him to Kodiak by ferry but that would be in either late spring or early fall. We are considering that too. Gee maybe we could snowbird AK in summer and NJ in winter. LOL!

Will continue to seek input from you folks on this. I know it seems like a long way out but I'm a planner!

emilss

Archived