Train Anchorage to Whittier

CBowling

We are arriving a couple of days early into Anchorage for our cruise July 14th. We want to take the train to Whittier. Is this something we should book now? We are staying at the Captain Cook Hotel. Any suggestions for things to do/see in Anchorage? Appreciate all opinions! Thanks.

How many "days"?? I suggest you decide what you want to do them, before making any reservations. Reason, is there are some fantastic touring opportunities available. If you have ANY interest in Seward, I would train there, and take a costly transfer direct to Whittier.

Be advised that the train portion Anchorage/Whittier, parallels the Seward the entire distance. The superior scenic route is definately Seward.

You could also drive many places in a few days, and if needed, go one way direct to Whittier, again costly, but may well be worth it in the availability of touring priorities and time usage.

Anchorage also has plenty to see and do, but I do think getting out is preferred if you can so to experience some other "Alaska". :)

When you decide, you definately need to book any train ahead.

I agree with BQ, once you know what you want to do, book the Railroad. I'm hosting a conference here in June and I know things are booking up fast or prices are :eek: (especially hotels).

My advice to all that come to visit, research early and book early, otherwise if you wait to long, something that you want to do may be gone.

You can check out the Anchorage Visitor's Guide at http://www.anchorage.net.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We want to do a PWS "Glacier Adventure" cruise prior to the cruise. Some questions; Should we arrange the PWS cruise and rail transfer through PWS or book rail independently. Does PWS handle your luggage? How far is the train depot in Whittier from PWS dock and how far is the dock from the cruise terminal? Sorry for all of the questions...:confused:

We actually get into Anchorage late Saturday evening, and the cruise leaves Monday 9:30 pm. We really only have 1 full day, Sunday. Suggestions?

pending on your interests and budget for the 'low end' I would walk the 6 blocks or so down to the Saturday-Sunday market, free entertainment and local crafts, then walk up a couple blocks to the museum. There's also a touring trolley you could ride on, and there's also a free shuttle bus to the Ulu factory down in ship creek, where - you can also stroll along the river and watch people fish for salmon. Then for dinner take the free shuttle to the Sour Dough Mining company, making sure to coordinate the time with the nightly show... (also free). On the high-end, from the hotel take either bus or train to Prince William Sound and book a glacier tour, they are fabulous. You will pass by turn-again arm, but you would also see that on your transportation to Whittier, and back..

So... we are thinking the PWS the day of the cruise. I can book through the tour company, and get the rail transport included; or I can book rail separate and take the tour once in Whittier. Any advantage to booking with tour company? Will my luggage still be forwarded to Princess? Thanks again.

Archived