food allergies???

zippnby

Zippnby,

I have recently found out I have gluten allergies. I am going on the Glory in April. I will let you know how everything goes. I am going to contact the special needs dept and go from there. I am glad so many people have had positive experiences with Carnival and their allergies. I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks all for your input. I was curious also. I'll let you know my experience when I come back. :)

P.S. I am also from Jersey.

On the note of Gluten, most people who have a gluten "allergy" are actually intolerant. Allergy is a better term for getting people's attention. Though you can be allergic to wheat, gluten you are more likely to be intolerant.

Something that many people find, they live with the intolerance for many years before getting diagnosed. I was sick 10 years before I got diagnosed.

Anyway, food issues waether they are allergies, or intolerances need to be taken seriously, and i'm glad to hear carnival takes them seriously.

Anna

Going on second cruise,

Imagination 2/10/08

Paradise 1/6/02

Carnival will also work with you if you have an allergy, such as shellfish, which is airborne. They have assisted us with accelerating our dinner service so we can be done before the shellfish (really is the worst on lobster night) comes out in force in the dining room. The always send dessert to the cabin for us so we don't feel left out.

Truly wonderful personnel!

My shellfish/crustacean allergy is not airborne. So, not all are. I have to actually eat a piece. I can eat food that has been cooked on the same grill or in the same oil, but actually eating a piece of shrimp makes me very ill. I have a gastrointestinal reaction and since I really never ate seafood til I was 18, eating shrimp is what made me realize my reaction. The first time it didn't bother me, but as you know allergic reactions build over time as your body rects. I don't require any special cooking or serving, I just have to know what the ingredients are in some foods, such as egg rolls.

And, no you cannot bring most food off of the ship due to agriculture laws. That means no fruit, sandwiches, etc. I think in most places you can bring prepackaged foods, unopened ashore.

This is bizzare but I found out saturday I am allergic to strawberries. I love Miami Vices and strawberry daquires. I guess no more.

Be very careful. Peanuts, shellfish and strawberries

and the most common food allergy.

I'm fatally allergic to strawberries also.

Has anyone with food allergies taken food off the ship? My 11 year old has tree nut allergies, and since we're cruising the Mexican Rivera, I don't want to chance food in Mexico. Will they let me bring a bag lunch for him so we can do some longer excursions?:confused:

Understand your concern but taking food off the ship is not allowed.

can you bring prepackaged food on with you that your son can eat?

We just got back from the Imagination last week. Our 7 year old (who was not with us) has multiple food allergies to milk, eggs, nuts and peanuts. We made the comment that we doubt he could ever go on a cruise because the risk of cross contamination would be so high - similar to the reason we stay away from Chinese. I had no idea about the Special Needs and that they would be so accomodating. Maybe a family cruise isn't out of the picture after all!!! Thanks for the info everyone.

We just got back from the Imagination last week. Our 7 year old (who was not with us) has multiple food allergies to milk, eggs, nuts and peanuts. We made the comment that we doubt he could ever go on a cruise because the risk of cross contamination would be so high - similar to the reason we stay away from Chinese. I had no idea about the Special Needs and that they would be so accomodating. Maybe a family cruise isn't out of the picture after all!!! Thanks for the info everyone.

You from Nebraska?

You just found out? HMMmmm..

I believe it. I have in the past couple of years found myself having allergic reactions to foods I've been eating all of my life (50+ years). It is not unheard of.

They have, over time, grown in severity. Started with my palms itching. Then my face turning red. Next was my lips slightly swelling. The worst was being almost unable to speak. No problem breathing or swallowing, but it was pretty scary.

Just as our taste in food changes over the years, so does how our body reacts to foods.

Last summer, I fixed a bowl of strawberries for my boyfriend. He ate about a cup of them before he looked at me and said that his tongue felt weird and asked me if mine did. It didn't, so I had him stick his tongue out. It was swelling and his lips were breaking out in a rash. I gave him some benedryal and watched him for a few minutes because I knew what was happening. Since he had eaten strawberries for years before that and even a month or so prior, I thought maybe it was a pesticide or something. I threw out the rest and dismissed it, thinking it was chemical related, not an allergy. A few weeks later, I went to an organic market and bought some that were completely pesticide/fertilizer free thinking that it would help. Nope. Same thing happened. Took him to the doctor and he confirmed it. So no strawberries for him.

Another thing the doctor told us was that if you develop psorasis or ezcema (which he had), to watch out for new food allergies. They think it might be an immune system thing.

My son has a shellfish allergy.

They were nice enough on our last cruise to allow him to order ahead from the dining room for dinner if he didn't want to eat in the dining room. (Or on Lobster night because Mam and Dad really like Lobster but the smell can bother him.)

They will work with you!

Archived