Kealakekua Bay vs. Pawai Bay and Fair Wind II vs. Body Glove

marilynbn

Since it looks like we can't make it onto the Fair Wind II a likely alternative (thank you SweetEmi!)is to do the Body Glove tour. I need someone who has done both to compare them for me. Is Pawai a good snorkeling site? Do you see dolphins. Also please compare these two companies and their boats if you can! Thank you all so much. If you ever need info about Disney vacations let me know!! Marilyn icon_cool.gif

flahatch.gif

Well...Marilyn, since you volunteered! Hehehehe...we will be doing a Disney week before our Mexican cruise in November. I ordered and received a book called the Unofficial guide to Disneyland (or something like that) which was recommended to me from a fellow CC. I already booked the air and hotel through Expedia and got it for less than just air is running, so I'm happy. Staying at the Howard Johnsons, which that same CC friend said was good and walking distance from Disney.

Yeah...one question though, on the HoJo website it has a very brief mention about the Monorail at their pool. Does it actually stop there so you can get on and off? What does the Monorail run pricewise?

I'll probably have more questions later, but I can't think of them right now.

Mahalo!

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

I don't know if the Monorail actually stops at the HoJo, but the only way you can get on the Monorail is if you already have your ticket to get into Disneyland. I have not been to D-Land in a couple of years, but the monorail use to stop only at the Disneyland Hotel and then inside the park. I know this is not much help, but thought I would add by 2 cents. icon_biggrin.gif

Cat: Thanks! We will already have tickets as I plan to buy a CityPass before we leave. I guess we'll have to see when we get there. I grew up down there and therefore have been to Disneyland many times but my friend who is going with me never has. I haven't been there in YEARS though and am looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Marilynbn, I was going to ask the same question. Went on the Fairwind snorkel many years ago in Captain Cook's sheltered bay and was wondering how it comapres to the Pawai (sp. sorry) Bay snorkel?

Hi again SweetEmi, We are annual passholders to Disneyland and we go there usually 3 times per year even though we live 6 hours north of Anaheim. What can I say I am a Disney person! The Howard Johnson hotel probably means to say that from their pool you can SEE the monorail. The monorail has only one stop outside of the park in the area of Downtown Disney. It actually does not stop at any hotels as it did before. If you have not been there since the opening of Califoria Adventure you will be shocked at how much it has changed there. The Monorail is free and you get on in the "Downtown Disney" area where there are many stores and restaurants and then it lets you off in "Tomorrow Land" inside the park. It makes the same return route. You present your ticket at the turnstile to get on the monorail. You can also just go into the main entrance, that way you enter onto Main Street in Disney land with the view of the Castle. We always stay at the Grand Californian which is a gorgeous hotel. You must go in and see the huge lobby. If you want some good restaurant recommendations let me know. We usually go at this time of year but our up coming cruise in June is putting the financial kabosh on that. Let me know if there is any more I can tell you, you have been a great help to me. I actually booked the Body Glove tour today!

See ya Marilyn icon_cool.gif

flahatch.gif

The Body Glove Snorkel website shows the cost $94 for adults. I looked on Celebrity site and found the Pawai Snorkel tour for $89. Is this price still true for those who recently cruised on Infinity?

After reading both descriptions it seems that they are the same company. Any difference?

Sounds like they may have done some research on what the Star's itinerary is since Marilyn called them. I would think it could be done, but then again I haven't actually done it.

Can't wait to hear how it all goes Star!

Aloha,

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

I will let you know, Marilyn, of our experience snorkeling at Kona. Thanks again for your encouragement to my dh, sweetemi. Between you and me, he's willing to give it a try, even though he doesn't swim. I figure he can always stay in the boat, and look at the fish through the windows. But, Im not telling him that, or he will quit without even trying it! he loves photography so I hope to get him distracted taking pictures underwater.

That's part of the reason why I want to go on the Fair Wind II. Besides having the best reviews, its the largest boat and has restrooms (!) and fresh water showers.

More on my conversation with Jennifer at Fair-Wind: if we call on our cell phone to say we are close, then they will hold the boat for us. Sportsdr, from last week says the tenders arrived on shore pretty much on time. The taxi is 15 minutes from the ship. I think its worth the price of the taxi to go to the bay they go to. Maybe we will be able to share the taxi with someone else.

Tomorrow, when Rose, our broker from Barefoots tours, gets back from her Easter break, we will finalize it. (They offer at least a 10% discount. Rose is great and a big help in planning activities to each customer's needs!)

The other alternative, Body Glove is right at the pier. Jennifer also told me that ncl had blocked all the seats on the Orca (a smaller boat also owned by them) for next Tuesday, so ncl must be planning that as a shore excursion. We don't want to wait in long lines to maybe/maybe not get on it.

Thanks again, sweetemi! We'll think of you when we are on "your" island!

mnstar

• 5 years later...

I know this Origianl Post is really outdated, but I am trying to decide between these 2 providers...BODY GLOVE and FAIR WIND.

Does anyone have any updates or information on one or both? Our vacation is in January.

Thank you very much in advance!!!

LISA

Fairwind goes to Kealakekua Bay:

Hisorical site Very Beautiful

Wonderful marine life

Lunch is burgers chips

Departs from Keahou harbour about 5 miles from Kona

Since the Oct 2006 earthquake, the state has closed the area along the shore as the cliffs above are unsable. Therefore you snorkle/dive in deeper water. Before this event, I would definetly rate Kealakekua Bay # 1.

Body glove goes to Pawii Bay:

Very beautiful historic site

wonderful marine life

lunch is make your own deli sandwiches

Departs from Kailua Bay, next to your ship

If you are in port on a Tuesday, Thrus or Sat take the Hula Kai to the south Kona coast. This is also operated by Fairwind. Outstanding snorkling diving in two spots.

Both run top notch trips.

However, the best snorkling is to drive south on H11 to Puuhonua o Honaunau btw MM 103 and 104. Take the last right before the ranger station entrance to the park. Dive off of "two step." Coral covers the ocean floor like carpet. Bring your own gear, lunch. Pick up lunch before you leave Captain Cook MM 109. There is a Choice Market here. It is located up Mauka (towards the mountain). There is also the Coffee Shak about MM 107, makes food to go. Locals sometimes sell plate lunches at two step, but can not always count on it.

You can also visit the park while there.

Thank you for the information Milolii!

I love hearing from locals who have the inside info.

I will be sure to check it out! We are actually doing a land vacation, so we are staying at Keauhou Outrigger for 4 days. So, we will want to snorkel more than one day.

Is it the Place of Refuge?

Archived