New York at end of cruise

mlkitt3

I have had good luck with Priceline. If you want an idea of what they have in NY go to the part of their site where you can book the room outright and see what hotels they offer inthe area you want. But remember you must pay for the room in full and it's very difficult to change anything without a hefty fee. Don't be afraid to lowball on a high star hotel and work your way up by adding different star levels or areas that you are willing to stay in.

• 3 weeks later...

I always stay at the Novotel in Times Square. It is right beside the David Letterman show, and if you book a high room you will have an awesome view of Times Square. This hotel is close to the subways. The rates are usually pretty good for NYC. It is a 3 star and I have always been happy with it. Rockefeller Center is a 3 minute walk.

We just stayed at the Comfort Inn Midtown for 3 nights and were very pleased with it. Everything was immaculate!

Granted, because our stay was in February and I booked in November, I got a great nightly (senior) rate of 121.49 + tax. What we got was a 'completely' refurbished room (#807) with a king bed, large flat-screen TV, free breakfast, free newspapers, computers for guests to use and free local and 800 calling. The hotel is on W 46th between 6th and 7th so it is handy to all of midtown. It's not a huge hotel..there are 9 floors and I think about 10 rooms on each.

One thing. On the website it shows a price for 'queen room' only. I've been reading reviews (see tripadvisor.com) and I knew that some rooms have 1 queen, some have 1 king and some have 2 beds. (I also read that they are in the midst of remodeling each room and planned to ask for one of those when we got there!) When we arrived I also asked about a room with 2 beds but he said our rate would go up but that he could let us have a room w/a king for the same price as a queen. That was fine too.

When we left I asked about the fact that the website shows 'queen' only and he said that would change when the remoding was complete...then they would list all 3 categories. IN THE MEANTIME, when you book you can request a king and get it for the queen price shown on the internet!

I don't know what the August rates look like but I'm sure, even if higher, they'd be cheaper than other midtown hotels.

Good luck. Sorry I'm so 'wordy'!! I was just so impressed with this hotel and everything about it including the staff who were all just great and very helpful.

We tried the Belvedere hotel in Manhatten, in August it was about 150.00 per night, thats taxes included. It is decent place for the price. The location was great, only a couple blocks from Times Square. Try booking directly with the hotel to save. sometimes that is cheaper. sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

We are having 3 nights in NY at the end of our Royal Princess cruise in October. Our TA suggested the Affinia Manhattan which will cost us $1800 as our New Zealand dollar is worth .80c. Paying $300 a night would be great but $600 is pretty steep and it is only 3 star. Have just checked the Belvedere and that would be $1351 for 3 nights including breakfast. We asked about the Princess post cruise package at the Sheraton with transfers included but supposedly only for Americans!! We are still looking. Hope you find something reasonable. Good to get breakfast included - set you up for the day.

Dawn

There are three hotels on 8th avenue in the mid 50's that have decent rates, they are the Hilton Garden Inn, the Hampton Inn and the Holiday Inn. Prices are high during the summer but, if you look around online you should find some good deals.

Jonathan

Archived