Transportation to Santo Domingo from ship

travel guy

I am on the Feb 3, 2008 Celebrity Millennium sailing. We stop at Casa de Campo during our cruise.

Has anyone hired a taxi or other transportation to get from the port to Santo Domingo? I realize it is a 2 hour-ish drive away from the ship but this is the only area that interests me due to the history and the colonial old town.

I am wondering what the approximate cost is for RT between the ship and Santo Domingo. Also I am wondering how reliable the transporatation is.

Thanks!

I am on the Feb 3, 2008 Celebrity Millennium sailing. We stop at Casa de Campo during our cruise.

Has anyone hired a taxi or other transportation to get from the port to Santo Domingo? I realize it is a 2 hour-ish drive away from the ship but this is the only area that interests me due to the history and the colonial old town.

I am wondering what the approximate cost is for RT between the ship and Santo Domingo. Also I am wondering how reliable the transporatation is.

Thanks!

If the ship offers an excursion to Santo Domingo, that is what I would recommend. Given the distance between Casa de Campo and the Santo Domingo, I wouldn't want to depend on local transportation to get me there and back on schedule. We are on Legend of the Seas out of Santo Domingo on February 10th and are arriving two days early. Since the distances are far less we have arranged for local transportation to take us from the airport to the hotel, hotel to the ship and, at the end of the cruise, from the ship back to the airport. If the distances were greater we would probably use the cruiseline's transfers.

I just got of Carnival Destiny. We ported in La Romana. One of our fellow cruisers chose to take a cab on her own to do some shopping and the cab driver dropped her off at an abandoned warehouse and told her to get out of the cab. Another of our passengers was mugged while walking. I wouldnt take a cab if I were you.

We were just in Santo Domingo - there are some hidden costs that you should be aware of. It costs $10 (USD) at the airport if you are going to stay in the Dominican Republic for 24+ hours. Also it cost us $20 (USD) to board the ship - so it was $30 per person tax just for the priviledge of visiting the DR - not too tourist friendly. No more travelling for us to the DR - they have seen the last of our $$$$.

If the ship offers an excursion to Santo Domingo, that is what I would recommend. Given the distance between Casa de Campo and the Santo Domingo, I wouldn't want to depend on local transportation to get me there and back on schedule. We are on Legend of the Seas out of Santo Domingo on February 10th and are arriving two days early. Since the distances are far less we have arranged for local transportation to take us from the airport to the hotel, hotel to the ship and, at the end of the cruise, from the ship back to the airport. If the distances were greater we would probably use the cruiseline's transfers.

Can you tell me which company you're using for local transport to/from airport/hotel/ship? I am on the 17th Feb Legend sailing and am having difficulty finding any local limo/van services. Thanks in advance.....

Thanks!

How long will you be at Casa de Campo? It is a far trip from Casa de Campo to Santo Domingo, and traffic is not always very good. I have not been on that part of the island in a few years, but last I remember, there was major construction on a new highway connecting the East with Santo Domingo. Also, getting to the Colonial Zone, taking the tours etc, can be time consuming as well.

Unfortunately, I do not know the transportation costs.

Can you tell me which company you're using for local transport to/from airport/hotel/ship? I am on the 17th Feb Legend sailing and am having difficulty finding any local limo/van services. Thanks in advance.....

We are using Dominican Airport Transfers and found a link to them on the Santo Domingo Airport website. There will be fifteen of us and the price was very reasonable for all three legs of the trip. They will be picking us up at the ship and taking us to the airport on the 17th.:) We are anxiously counting down the days until we fly to Santo Domingo. :)

Archived