All things Independence of the Seas

I have to agree...we're flying all the way across the Pond for the maiden voyage and there seems to be ZERO excitement:confused: !!! It will really be a huge disappointment if there's no fanfare:( ! We haven't gotten our tix yet, though..not that far away now, either!!!

I am sure once you are onboard they will make a fuss of the fact that you are on the maiden voyage. Unfortunately this is the 3rd in the class and all the attention is now on Genesis, so it seems Independence will slip into service without much of a fuss :mad:

I am really excited about Independence, even more than I was about Freedom & Liberty, might have something to do with the fact I am sailing on her 3 times this year :D

One thing for sure is you will get a fanfare when you get to Cork, any excuse for the Irish to have a party :D

I would not expect anything other than normal travel documents before you travel, It would not make good business sense to change stationary (printing etc) just for one sailing. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone. I have loved looking over this thread. I am sorry if this has been answered before.

Here is what I know:

Freedom class ships have the hot tubs over the edge.:o ](the hot tubs are a tiny bit over the edge but they are also BIG, I spent time in there every day, we had the cabin underneath!)

[/b]Freedom class ships have the wave ride. ](its addicting to watch or ride!)[/[/b]COLOR]

Freedom class ships have the H20 zone. ](it seperates the kids from the sort of kids and the adults in solarium, I noticed this last week on Navigator)[/b]Freedom class ships have a wider and longer Promenade. ](the promenade was a little different on Liberty than Freedom, so I want to see whats new on Independence)[/b]

The Independence has heated pools. (And they are fresh water!! my kids were freaked out by the salt water pools on Nav after the fresh water pools of Liberty)

Are there other things I am missing? I am curious what will be different between the Independence and the Mariner.things I can remember...Its basically space - everything is bigger, larger WJ, Promenade, H20 zone, an On Air club is an added cool space just outside Studio B that has Karaokee, trivia and sports, there is a seperate diamond lounge where 19th hole is - don't know if Independence will be the same. the dining room is a little largerAlso, what is the difference between the Independence and the other Freedom class ships. ](I'm waiting to see, I'm sure there will be a few surprises!) Liberty had a sports shop on the Promenade, and future sales office right next to Seattles Best - I think this is different from Freedom)[/color[/b]]

Right now we are booked on the Independence :D , but with the Freedom moving to Canaveral, we may wait? theres always something about a new ship!!Thanks!

Hey Everyone! I posted awhile back! I just got back from a 4 day Navigator trip and I immediately changed my thanksgiving Independence trip to the 4 day 11/19 just before. 1) I wanted to be on the first US trip and 2) I won't be tempted to waste time in port and not on that amazing new ship!! the new photos are awesome! Being on Navigator was fun but I really missed Liberty like at the pool, in WJ, on air, all the new treats that aren't on Voyager class. the pool was the biggest difference, in the regular pool everybody was there instead of on Liberty when all the kids were back in the H20 zone. It also seemed like there were more menu items on Liberty. I hope I'm not being a repeater...

Post number 385 on this forum has links to pictures taken last week on sea trials :D

Thanks, I saw those earlier. I want to see pictures when the ship is full of passengers and hear first hand from CC members.

Can anyone confirm some type of outside dining, a Seaview type cafe like what is on the Radiance class? I thought I had heard or read that somewhere.

Thanks, I saw those earlier. I want to see pictures when the ship is full of passengers and hear first hand from CC members.

Can anyone confirm some type of outside dining, a Seaview type cafe like what is on the Radiance class? I thought I had heard or read that somewhere.

The Independence, like her sisters in the Freedom class, doesnt have Seaview Cafe type of eatery.

Afraid you will need to wait probably until middle of May to see pics of her full of passengers and I would guess she wont actually sail full until after her first couple of sailings.

On of our party will celebrate a birthday while on the canaries Cruise. Will RCCL pick up the relevance of the date from passport and passenger info or should we alert them?

I would give them a wee phone call and let them know..or your TA if booked with one :D

Thinking here...doesnt it ask somewhere online about any special celebrations? :confused:

I would give them a wee phone call and let them know..or your TA if booked with one :D

Thinking here...doesnt it ask somewhere online about any special celebrations? :confused:

Our son will be celebrating his birthday on the second day of our cruise on indy,when i completed the online check-in the reservation details had his birthday listed and i don't remember telling anyone:confused: :confused: .It's worth checking online on your reservation just in case your travel agent added it.

Hiya

Any of you guys going on the Canaries cruise and have booked the tour in Madeira where you ride in the wicker baskets????

We are going on 21st May, and that is one thing we definitely want to book but are a bit confused as to which one includes the ride in the price. I think 3 of the tours mention that you 'may' take the ride down and one says that you do.... Unfortunately this one takes you round an embroidery factory and all that stuff, which we are not so bothered about (and our 2 sons definitely arent!!!)

Getting very excited now.......:D

Hiya

Any of you guys going on the Canaries cruise and have booked the tour in Madeira where you ride in the wicker baskets????

We are going on 21st May, and that is one thing we definitely want to book but are a bit confused as to which one includes the ride in the price. I think 3 of the tours mention that you 'may' take the ride down and one says that you do.... Unfortunately this one takes you round an embroidery factory and all that stuff, which we are not so bothered about (and our 2 sons definitely arent!!!)

Getting very excited now.......:D

I did not see that one, will have to have another look for our May 6th sailing :D

We're on the 6th May cruise, and in our Explorations! booklet there is one called "City, Monte, Cable Car and Toboggan", which clearly does include the wicker basket trip. ( I hope so as we've booked it!)

Hi Guys

We are cruising on The Independance on the 31 May 08 from Southampton, only 5min drive for us, we are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children. being this is our first cruise ever, could you give us any advice, ie, which table booking is best 1st or 2nd, we have 3 kids so would we be better having early or later, would they still be busy in the clubs.

We have also been sent our excersions book today and looking at the trips not sure there are alot for the kids, ages are 13, 9 and 8, if myself and hubby decided to do a trip without the 2 younger ones could they stay onboard in the kids club, or do we all have to go as a family.

can any reccomend an excersion with kids our ages.

Any other advice would be greaful,

Many thanks

Welcome to CC madgirl :D

If you click on this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=518391

it will take you to the roll call for your sailing where you can chat with other folks on your sailing and who will be able to help you out with excursions etc on the Indepenedence :D

I have also included here a link to a blog which one of our CC members has and it might help a bit with your plans etc.

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/

Hope you all have a wonderful cruise :D

It is only a 15 min walk to the cable car station from the ship :) once at the top of the cable car station the whicker sledges are right there :) and a lot less than the ships tour.

Thats interesting.....

Do you still think, though, that if we dont pre book the whicker sledges there will still be plenty available??? Thanks