All things Independence of the Seas

Who will be the Captain and CD on Independence for the Inag? On Liberty last year for the Ingaural the Cpt was Hernan Zini and the CD was Ken Rush...will it be the same?

Captain Hernan Zini will be the captain at first, and then it will be Captain Teo. (can't spell his last name without looking it up. ;)) (Strazic?)

Great photos and updates.

We will be in Southampton next Saturday to have a look and the wonderful IoTS - didn't win any of the launch party competitions though.......:( but will be there nevertheless...............

Captain Hernan Zini will be the captain at first, and then it will be Captain Teo. (can't spell his last name without looking it up. ;)) (Strazic?)

There are frequent references as to which Captain will be associated with a particular vessel. To clarify for some of our cruisers who may not understand the staffing methodology, there are always two Captains assigned to every vessel excepting trials and inaugurals. If you read Wolfcat's thread, she does an excellent job of identifying the team associated with each vessel. The reason you hear that a single individual is identified with a given vessel is that one of the Captains is a primary and the other is his relief, rotating 10 weeks each (up to 14) all year long. The relief Captain has exactly the same status as the primary aboard the vessel, and may in fact be senior in terms of time with RCI and time in grade.

Great photos and updates.

We will be in Southampton next Saturday to have a look and the wonderful IoTS - didn't win any of the launch party competitions though.......:( but will be there nevertheless...............

We are going next sunday,again no comp winners here either but still looking forward to the caribbean festival in mayflower park,and great views of the ship :D

RCCL 1, that was interesting. I actually had no idea about how such matters as who is captain of a given ship is determined. For that matter, I don't know how they select the cruise director either.

Thus it would be hard to judge this far out who wilol captain and CD of the Independence when we sail on the ship in late novemeber this year.

a quick question......the brilliance of the seas was a "british" ship in the royal caribbean fleet.....owned by royal caribbean u.k.

is the independence also a "british" ship? just curious because the godmother is british and all the inaugural celebrations are occurring in south hampton:D

a quick question......the brilliance of the seas was a "british" ship in the royal caribbean fleet.....owned by royal caribbean u.k.

is the independence also a "british" ship? just curious because the godmother is british and all the inaugural celebrations are occurring in south hampton:D

No she isnt "British"...it is because her Homeport is Southampton :D

liz.....not trying to be daft.....what is "the homeport"? if she is going to be sailing out of ft. lauderdale.....isn't that her homeport???:confused:

Hey no worries I am confused also but I think Southampton is her Homeport because that is where she will start her "cruise life" it will be her "main" home if you like. FLL will be her "holiday home port" if you like.

Ok I hope that made sense :o

i knew you'd know:)

anyway...i "googled" "royal caribbean homeport" and got an education. it appears that rc is sort of doing this dual sailing with many ships in the fleet. it makes sense.

the enchantment is now calling panama it's homeport. this way they can get the central and south american cruiser without all the extra airfare.

by offering so many options to the european (especially british) cruiser they have a chance at competeing with the more established cruise companies......like P&O etc.

i looked at the sailings for independence for the next year and it appears that in the winter months she'll sail out of ft. lauderdale and in the spring and summer months out of south hampton. this way we "share" her:p

will IOS have a webcam? you'd think so, why is rccl so behind with webcams?

Only Voyager has a webcam of all the RCI ships and it is always trained on the Royal Promenade. Explorerer used to have one and all the Celebrity cameras shut down due to a hosting issue I think. I would love an IOS webcam.

It is not that RCI is behind, they are not important to RCI. They had them on all of their Celebrity fleet and shut them down. I doubt that we see them on other Royal ships.
And the Celebrity cams were really good. Some bow views some from the side -- nice big pictures that updated often.

Thus it would be hard to judge this far out who wilol captain and CD of the Independence when we sail on the ship in late novemeber this year.

FWIW - Indy comes out in May so Zini will be on until middle of June (maybe end of June). Then Capt Strazicic (Carol's Teo) takes over for a 10-14 wk rotation. That would put the next switch at around the end of Sept. So by the beginning of October, Capt Arnolf Remo should be onboard till close to the end of the year. They may switch again just before Christmas. So Capt Teo would be on at the beginning of 2009.

If the search function is working by then, the thread is titled "Current Captains" check closer to your sailing date and see what it says. I can't guarantee it'll be right.

Then make sure you post in your review who your captain was...that helps me ALOT!!

I had breakfast with Capt. Hernan Zini on the Brilliance in 2006. He was very nice to talk with!
And not bad to look at either! Lucky you!

We had him on Radiance for our Alaska cruise in 2006.

Hubba, hubba! :o :p :D

And not bad to look at either! Lucky you!

We had him on Radiance for our Alaska cruise in 2006.

Hubba, hubba! :o :p :D

Now that I think about it, it wasn't on the Brilliance, it was the Radiance in January of 2006.

Yes, he's not too bad to look at...and I had a good look at him since he was sitting right next to me! :D

we'll be on her this new years and i was wondering the same thing:confused:

Hi Cheryl, Franca here. I know that one of the Captains will be Captain Arnolf Remo. He'll "take possession" of the ship, in june 26, then they (his wife travels with him) will go home in Sept, and then back on board in Dec 7, until the end of Feb, 2009. That is the reason why Bill and I booked the Independence, because we know the Remo's and we will spend some time with them, plus, Rev was going too, but she needed to change to the Liberty, because of John medical needs.

Don't know about the CD.

Hope you are feeling better.

Glad to help,

Franca:p