All things Independence of the Seas

Hi everyone,

:) just wondering if anyone has any tips for us first timers. Me and my other half decided to book on the independence this year 26th July the Med-treasures.

We have a fourteen year old son, so I figured he would be well catered for. I am really excited, but also a bit apprehensive.

I feel that we may have jumped in at the deep end?? :confused: Friends keep saying maybe we should have started out on something a bit smaller.

Just wondering if anyone knows, will my son have to wear a tuxedo. :confused: Defo want to go to formals as it has given me an excuse to buy some nice dresses.:D

We will be driving to Southampton, it is only a three and a half hour drive, but I thought it would be better to travel the night before. So booked travelodge.

Thanks Lisa

Hiya Lisa, welcome!! You should join our roll call for IOS. We are also on the same cruise 26/07/08. Look for RCCL meet and mingle.

Last year was our first cruise, and like you we were very apprehensive. We needn't have worried, it was fantastic!!! Hence, we are doing it all again this year (different cruise). Ithink your son will just have to look "smart" - there are loads of activities for teens. If you look on our roll call, there are other families with kids that age.

Look forward to more "chats" on here!!

Sue:)

Hi everyone,

:) just wondering if anyone has any tips for us first timers. Me and my other half decided to book on the independence this year 26th July the Med-treasures.

We have a fourteen year old son, so I figured he would be well catered for. I am really excited, but also a bit apprehensive.

I feel that we may have jumped in at the deep end?? :confused: Friends keep saying maybe we should have started out on something a bit smaller.

Just wondering if anyone knows, will my son have to wear a tuxedo. :confused: Defo want to go to formals as it has given me an excuse to buy some nice dresses.:D

We will be driving to Southampton, it is only a three and a half hour drive, but I thought it would be better to travel the night before. So booked travelodge.

Thanks Lisa

Hiya Lisa, welcome!! You should join our roll call for IOS. We are also on the same cruise 26/07/08. Look for RCCL meet and mingle.

Last year was our first cruise, and like you we were very apprehensive. We needn't have worried, it was fantastic!!! Hence, we are doing it all again this year (different cruise). Ithink your son will just have to look "smart" - there are loads of activities for teens. If you look on our roll call, there are other families with kids that age.

Look forward to more "chats" on here!!

Sue:)

Hi i'm a newbie to this site and just wanted to say hello.:)

I will be sailing on Independence 9th august 08 and cannot wait. :D :D

Can anyone give me some good hotels close to the port of southampton to stay in on the 8th .

Milly XXX :)

Milly

Please join our roll call. We are a friendly bunch!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=13196305#post13196305

Andrew.

Hi all

Just checking on the thread - glad so many have joined.

I am loving all the tips, photos, web-cams and advice - it is great.

Welcome LisaF - from another Lisa.

We went on our first cruise last year (not RCI) and had a ball........you will love it. Your son will have a fab time, there is so much that he will be able to do. Our son (13 when we sail) is sooooooooo looking forward to all of the activities - he never stops talking about it!

We were not planning on getting our son a tux - just a nice shirt and tie (if he will wear the tie!) and decent trousers the for formal evenings.

I'm very excited and can't wait!

Lisa

Hi i'm a newbie to this site and just wanted to say hello.:)

I will be sailing on Independence 9th august 08 and cannot wait. :D :D

Can anyone give me some good hotels close to the port of southampton to stay in on the 8th .

Milly XXX :)

Milly, last year we stayed at the Novotel close to the docks and found it very satisfactory for 1 night. This year we are on the 21st May sailing but some of our party have to work the day before so we are undecided yet whether to travel down late the evening before or get the train very early on the day of sailing.

I can virtually guarantee that by the time you get back from your cruise you will have been bitten by the "cruise bug" just ask Liz, it gets you like that doesn't it Liz :D

Hi Milly.

Lots of hotels close to the docks, depends how much you want to pay.

There is the Devere, Holiday Inn, Ibis and I believe a new budget hotel has just opened called Etap amongst many, think their rooms are aboiut £35pn, bargain !

We have always stayed at the Devere, altough it is a 5* and can be epensive, if you book early its cheaper than the Holiday Inn.

Angie

x

Thanks Angie X

It is a debate i my house,whether to drive down on the morning [about 1 and half to two hours] or stay in southampton and leisurely go to the terminal.

Either way we will have to make our mind up soon as the rooms we understand will get booked up.

Milly XX

Milly, last year we stayed at the Novotel close to the docks and found it very satisfactory for 1 night. This year we are on the 21st May sailing but some of our party have to work the day before so we are undecided yet whether to travel down late the evening before or get the train very early on the day of sailing.

I can virtually guarantee that by the time you get back from your cruise you will have been bitten by the "cruise bug" just ask Liz, it gets you like that doesn't it Liz :D

Hi blackbelle:)

thanks for your help with my hotel dilemma!!

We went on our first cruise to departing from barcelona'the malta cruise' on the voyager of the seas in 2006 and it was amazing albeit it was just 7 nights:( .However as we had never done this type of holiday before we thought that that would be long enough. So wrong we didnt want to depart the ship when it docked.

We had the venice suite 1598 as there was me, o/h, our daughter and our little boy and our niece. The concierge was lovely and extremely gooooooooooood looking!! It worked out fantastic on the sleeping arrangements and we could pull a curtain to seperate the lounge area.

The only downfall was the stress involved leaving Heathrow airport right in the midst of all the cancelled flights and having to queue at 4am to fly on the morning for our BA flight to barcelona. We panicked incase we missed thecruise and incase our luggage didnt arrive.:eek: my dresses lol!!!

Thats the reason why I think we should take the hassle out of travelling to Southampton on the moring of the cruise ad stay the night before.

Milly XX:)

She is due to leave Turku on 18th April and head to Oslo before heading to Southampton where she is due to arrive on the 25th April and then the UK Pre-Inaugurals will take place :D :D

Hi Liz, Looks like we will miss out again on the Pre-Inaugarels:( , missed out on the Liberty last year as we were on the Navigator Transatlantic and this year will be on the Century Tranny at the end of April, so looks as if we will have to wait until November when we will be on her for the Westbound Transatlantic to Ft Lauderdale, we are also booked on her for the Eastbound Tranny in April 09.

Completely different subject but did you ever hear anymore about whether they are going to bring out a RCCL credit card in the UK???

John.

Hi everyone,

Thanks Lisa

Hi Lisa Don't worry - you will have a fantastic time. We are going on the Independence in August on our fifth cruise, and our boys (14 and 10) love it. On our first cruise they were a little reluctant about the formal wear but once they stepped outside the cabin door and saw everyone else dressed up they were fine. My teen doesn't wear a tux, but he does wear a suit. I have just bought him a new one for this summers cruise from Asda for £15. It is plain black and so has the look of a dinner suit without the cost! However, there will as always be a mix and a shirt, tie and smart trousers would also be fine.

It is the perfect holiday with teens - the only problem you will have is getting the 'cruise bug' and having to book another one! Have a great time.

Thanks Angie X

It is a debate i my house,whether to drive down on the morning [about 1 and half to two hours] or stay in southampton and leisurely go to the terminal.

Either way we will have to make our mind up soon as the rooms we understand will get booked up.

Milly XX

Hi Milly

Ha !

You are having the same debate as me and my OH.

We usually travel the day before but unfortunately we have to work that day. So its either after work or early the morning of the cruise, which I don't really like doing.

Angie

x

Please forgive me if I mess this message up, it is my first post ,but I have been reading all your messages since my first cruise in 2004 on the LOS. And the messages are soooo informative. My second cruise was 2006 on the JOS. We are extemely excited this side of the pond too!!! My husband, two children and I live in Southampton, England and we sail on the Indepence on the 28th June. When the Liberty docked last year she cast a huge shadow over the port - and created quite a stir - imagine when the Inependence arrives. Any photo's of the ship and helpful hints would be extremely helpful

So far we are a group of 3 couples booked on the 12/07 cruise on IOS. We're all looking forward to it. It will be our 4th, brothers 2nd and the other couples 1st. Can't wait to see how they react to seeing a cruise ship up close the first time.

Hi, Delighted to read your posts. I'm looking forward to sailing on 12 July 08. I believe in 163 days(who's counting). We have to fly from Glasgow to Heathrow then onto Southampton bit of a nusiance when Flybe fly direct to Southampton but Heathrow was were RCL have put us. Any info re- Heathrow to Southampton gratefully received. Look forward to hearing more about this new lady. Can't wait..........

blackpool belle

Some of are totally against anytime dining :( we tried it on NCL and never again.

I first came across anytime dining on Princess cruises and found it suited us much better. I usually go for 1st sitting as I find it difficult to eat after 7pm but I also like sailaway time so it can sometimes but a bit of a rush to get to the dining room for 6.15/6.30.

To each their own I guess.

Hi, Delighted to read your posts. I'm looking forward to sailing on 12 July 08. I believe in 163 days(who's counting). We have to fly from Glasgow to Heathrow then onto Southampton bit of a nusiance when Flybe fly direct to Southampton but Heathrow was were RCL have put us. Any info re- Heathrow to Southampton gratefully received. Look forward to hearing more about this new lady. Can't wait..........
As you have booked the flights through RCL then you will be loaded onto a coach at LHR and driven down to the port - rough estimate of 1 1/2 hrs on the coach depending on the state of the M25!