Vancouver and Victoria

If your main reason for going to Victoria is to see the Butchard gardens, why not save all that travel time and go to Vancouver's wonderful botanical gardens... and VanDusen Botanical gardens.

Here is a link to VanDusen: http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/vandusen/website/

Yep, my hubby said the same thing - Van Dusen, right in Vancouver.

robinsegg,

Why do you write "all this local knowledge ... probably gone to waste, lol."?

I have researched all the websites listed and considered all the recommendation given to me. I totally appreciated all the helpful info.

Also, on Jan 26, you wrote: "If you are coming in early June, given our west coast climate, no gardens will be in their 'full glory'."

As per my origional question I stated we will be arriving in Vancouver June27th. I was under the impression that the gardens would be lovely that time of year, even if they aren't in full bloom. I am considering the gardens in Vancouver (Van Dusen Botanicals and Bloedel Floral Conservatory), but I wanted to be knowlegable about all my options.

robinsegg,

Also, on Jan 26, you wrote: "If you are coming in early June, given our west coast climate, no gardens will be in their 'full glory'."

As per my origional question I stated we will be arriving in Vancouver June27th. I was under the impression that the gardens would be lovely that time of year, even if they aren't in full bloom. I am considering the gardens in Vancouver (Van Dusen Botanicals and Bloedel Floral Conservatory), but I wanted to be knowlegable about all my options.

I'm the one that said the gardens should be great (on another thread I think) and they will be. If you want another option for Gardens and a visit to the Fraser Valley check out

Minter Gardens

http://www.mintergardens.com/minter.htm

our own miniature Butchart. But they don't have great transportation connections to get out here.

I bumped into a former employee from my working days who now drives for a land and sea tour company and he agrees that if you have more than three people it is probably cheaper to take a car but he also told me that starting March 1 there will be a new option on their Victoria tours which I think you might like - it essentially goes like this - you still board the bus in Vancouver and ferry to Victoria - then into downtown Victoria for a quick 90 minute tour of the city and then for those who want to spend most of their visit at the Gardens a separate bus will shuttle you to the Gardens - this should give you up to 3.5 hours at the Gardens and they will then shuttle the remainder up to the Gardens and you will be picked up there and taken to the ferry for the return trip to Vancouver. It should start showing on there web site before too long.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

Just yesterday I sat down and figured out how to do the trip from Vancouver to Victoria on our own. It is similar in time as the new tour you mentioned. I will definitely keep an eye on the Land and Sea web site. Although the tour will cost more than doing it on our own, I think the tour will be more relaxing than wondering if we will be getting all the connections correctly.

Here is what I came up with; although if the tour (3 1/2 hours in the gardens and 1 1/2 hours downtown becomes a reality I probably will do the tour.

Bus from hotel area to Ferry Terminal:

Bus # Depart Arrive Duration Transfers Walk Fare

601 & 620 7:38am 8:40pm 1 hr 1 min 1 .34 km $2.50

Take 9:00am Ferry, Arrive at Swartz Bay 10:40 am

Take Transit Buses:

Bus # 81 Depart: Swartz Bay 11:00am to Butchart Gardens, Arrive:11:50am

Bus #75 Depart: Butchart Gardens at 3:00pm to

Downtown (Fairfield at Blanshard), Arrive: 3:45pm

Bus # 70 Depart Downtown (Fairfield at Blanshard) at 5:30pm to

Swartz Bay Terminal, Arrive: 6:40pm

Take 7:00 pm Ferry - Arrive Tsawwassen Terminal 8:40 pm

Bus from Ferry Terminal to hotel area:

Bus # Depart Arrive Duration Transfers Walk Fare

620 & 601 8:58 pm 10:00pm 1hr 2 min 1 .46km $2.50

Price for doing it all on our own:

Bus to Ferry $ 2.50

BC Ferry $ 12.00

Victoria Transit Bus $ 7.00

Butchart Gardens $ 26.50

BC Ferry (return) $ 12.00

Total $ 61.50 PP

Thank You very much for this new info.:)

Mary

You mention taking the bus back from downtown Victoria to the ferry, arriving at 6:40 for the 7:00 ferry. I'm not sure but there is most likely a cut off time for foot passengers to be at the terminal and I really don't think that arriving at the bus stop at 6:40 will give you enough time to make it on the ferry. You might want to check that out, I'm sure that information would be on the BC Ferry's website. For your return trip you might want to consider taking the bus from downtown Victoria right to downtown Vancouver.

You mention taking the bus back from downtown Victoria to the ferry, arriving at 6:40 for the 7:00 ferry. I'm not sure but there is most likely a cut off time for foot passengers to be at the terminal and I really don't think that arriving at the bus stop at 6:40 will give you enough time to make it on the ferry.

Agreed. This cuts is extremely close; the times given are if there are no delays and everything goes right. By taking public transit, there is a chance you could miss the ferry and in that case, you wait another hour for the next one.

Mary, you have certainly done your homework. I truly applaud you for mapping this all out. However, remember when I mentioned a few posts back that you could be spending a lot of your day waiting for buses? The perfect example of this is when you arrive at Swartz Bay and then have to wait for the city bus to take you to the Gardens. Remember, they are only 13 miles form the ferry terminal; you could take a cab and be there so much sooner. I really think it's worth your time to take a taxi and get to your destination an hour sooner, don't you? :)

cruiseyyc,

Walk on passengers must purchase their tickets no less than 10 minute before departure. Yes, it will be cutting it too close, I'm not sure how far apart bus drop off and the ferry ticket sales is. Thanks for the warning, didn't think of this one.

I am hoping the tour Urban Trekker mentioned with the 3 1/2 hours at the gardens will be available.

Also, I am familiar with the bus that you get going from Vancouver to Victoria and back again to Vancouver, but not with the bus that goes one way from downtown Victoria right to downtown Vancouver. Is it the same bus but you just buy a one way ticket? Round trip is $83.00 PP. Can you give me any info on it so I can check into it?

Langley Cruiser,

Yes, a taxi sure would be faster. It’s one more option to think about. I enjoy doing research but this one excursion is becoming a time comuming project. Thank goodness it’s the last one I have to do. I have the rest of our 17 night trip figured out. I like the new tour by Land and Sea Urban Trekker mentioned, but I also think staying in Vancouver and doing their gardens is looking better all the time. DH thought since we are going all this way across country we should see the famed Butchart Gardens. Once I go over all the logistics with him we will decide what we are actually going to do.

I can’t tell you guys how much I appreciate all the time you have spent helping me think this out. :)

Butchart Gardens is not to be missed. I have skimmed the suggestions of others here....all good. May I add one more?

Get to the ferry as a passenger without a vehicle (city bus works). The ferries have a large capacity for passengers, not so much for vehicles. There is food on board, too.

When you get to Swartz Bay (the ferry terminal), call Enterprise ("we'll pick you up!") They will give you a map of the area...it's not complicated...you can go to Butchart Gardens and downtown Victoria and have complete control of your schedule. Obviously, you will have made a reservation with Enterprise ahead of time, and you will have their phone number with you.

This is what we did last August....we used the city buses in Vancouver and then rented a car to tour Victoria/Butchart.

Actually, if possible, I would suggest that you ferry over late in the afternoon, stay the night in Victoria and then be at the Gardens early in the morning, before all the cruise ship tours show up. (and they do, by the hundreds)

The unknown here is....how much luggage will you have and will it have to go with you? Schlepping a lot of bags on the city bus is not a great experience. We did it, but we only had a carry on and a checked bag each.

Butchart Gardens is easily on a par with Longwood Gardens. I liked it more, but I have to admit that our visit to Longwood was in August...not the best time for the most color.

Walk on passengers must purchase their tickets no less than 10 minute before departure. Yes, it will be cutting it too close, I'm not sure how far apart bus drop off and the ferry ticket sales is. Thanks for the warning, didn't think of this one.

The (transit) bus stops about 30 yards from the ticket counter, you'll be fine. People (like myself) do and have done it all the time. If you're taking Pacific Coach lines, you don't have to do anything, the bus drives on board.

When you get near to Swartz Bay, the 1st announcement is for "If you are boarding a bus on the ferry, you should go to the lower vehicle deck now."

This is not the people taking the city transit bus, you just walk off like all the other passengers "by way of the overhead walkway located on deck 5"

The unknown here is....how much luggage will you have and will it have to go with you? Schlepping a lot of bags on the city bus is not a great experience. We did it, but we only had a carry on and a checked bag each.

They are staying in Vancouver and will be visiting Victoria for just the one day (not overnight, from what I read in her initial post).

Friday: Arrive by Cruiseship and take a celebrity transfer to Sutton Place Hotel

(I'm not sure what time this will be!) Get a all day transit pass for $8. PP and go to Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. Possibly have dinner at Grouse Mountain in Altitudes Bistro.

Sunday: Get an all ay transit pass for $8. PP and go to Gas Town, Granville Island, and Stanley Park.

hi Mary,

I only have suggestions for your two days in Vancouver.

Friday sounds good. We are actually doing a very similar plan on our day we arrive in Vancouver... but we are going to the Stanley Park and the Aquarium along with Capilano Suspension Bridge. Perhaps you might consider the Aquarium on Sunday when you go to Stanley Park. Also, you might want to consider going to Chinatown on one of those evenings. During the summer they have the Chinatown Night Market from 6:30pm until 11:30pm. (I think those are the times).

hi Mary,

I only have suggestions for your two days in Vancouver.

Friday sounds good. We are actually doing a very similar plan on our day we arrive in Vancouver... but we are going to the Stanley Park and the Aquarium along with Capilano Suspension Bridge. Perhaps you might consider the Aquarium on Sunday when you go to Stanley Park. Also, you might want to consider going to Chinatown on one of those evenings. During the summer they have the Chinatown Night Market from 6:30pm until 11:30pm. (I think those are the times).

From what I understand Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain will probably be all we have time for friday since the first part of the day will be arriving and checking into our hotel. I take it you are not going to Grouse mountain.

We are doing Stanley park, Gas Town and Granville Island Sunday so we have plenty of time for Stanley Park. Can anyone tell me how much time we should allow for each of these three places? And also what is the Aquarium like? Is it worth going too? We like to see things we can't see back in the PA area?

Hadn't planned on going to China Town, it wasn't a top priority when I looked over the list of options and time alloted. However, we are heavily thinking of going to Van Dusen Botanicals and Bloedel Floral Conservatory in Vancouver instead of Butchard Gardens in Victoria on Saturday we could possibly fit in China Town. I haven't done any research on China Town, what is the Night Market?

Also, if we stay in Vancouver we can adjust our stops to whichever day is best. If there are any recommendations as to which day to do what I am willing to rethink intinerary.

I take it you are not going to Grouse mountain.

We are doing Stanley park, Gas Town and Granville Island Sunday so we have plenty of time for Stanley Park. Can anyone tell me how much time we should allow for each of these three places? And also what is the Aquarium like? Is it worth going too? We like to see things we can't see back in the PA area?

I haven't done any research on China Town, what is the Night Market?

I decided not to go to Grouse Mountain this time. Like you, I just do not have enough time to do everything I want, so I am thinking of returning to Vancouver at another time. I will include Grouse Mountain then.

All of the reviews I have seen on the Aquarium were GREAT... and my daughter REALLY wants to see Beluga Whales. We are going to do the Beluga Encounter. Here is the link to their website:

http://www.vanaqua.org

Vancouver's Chinatown is the second largest Chinatown in North America.

Here are a few links:

http://www.vancouverchinatown.ca/

www.virtualvancouver.com/chinatown.html

Also, the Guinness World Record Thinnest Building is in Chinatown. It is called the Sam Kee building.

Also, if you are interested in gardens, there is Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Garden. It is the only full-sized classical Chinese garden outside of China. It employs the ancient techniques of the Ming Dynasty, condensing the serenity of the mountain, streams, valleys and hills into an urban sanctuary. Every niche and arch of the garden is meticulously laid out. Each plant, rock and piece of architecture is selected for its symbolic meaning and mood. The Chinese lettering at the entrance reads 'Garden of Ease'.

www.vancouverchinesegarden.com

Here is also a link to the Chinatown Night Market: http://www.vcma.shawbiz.ca/home_e.htm

A clip from their site:

A shopping extravaganza featuring Asian traditional handicraft, fashionable gifts & tempt your taste buds with ethnic snacks. A shopping experience like never before - on every Fri., Sat. & Sun.

Tourist can enjoy their tour in the Vancouver Chinatown Night Market. They can shop from the hundred booths, they can enjoy the multicultural performances: Folk dancing, singing, magic shows, martial arts, lion dance, bands… as well as games & prizes.

Personally, I would not miss Chinatown :)

Also, are you going to the Lookout at all?

Archived