Expectation of Number of Kids on Feb/March Cruise

Dr_DNA

We're planning a cruise in February of 09 and were wondering how many kids we could expect to see on board. Specifically, I think that we are going to do the 12 day Caribbean on the Explorer of the Seas. My son (4) will be quite disappointed if there aren't many kids in AO. While he loves hanging out with us, he also loves being with other kids and doing the things that they do together. I'm worried that with a longer cruise like this one during the school year, not many families will be on the ship. Am I right?

I posted this here as opposed to RC's board because it seems like any discussion about kids there ends up being a discussion about why we should leave our kids behind and cruise without them. I figured that most of you would 1, know, and 2, not tell me to leave him at home. :D

As a rule, the longer the cruise, the fewer the kids. In my experience, we find fewer kids in February and overrun with kids in March -- we sailed mid-March a few years ago and there were 800+ kids on-board.

I have also heard that the longer the cruise, the less kids. However, is it over the President's week at all? My family took a 7 night over that week in 2006 and there were lots of kids. That's a school vacation week in the North East, not sure where else.

President's week in NY is the most traveled time of year. We always have to book almost a year in advance to get airfare. We have cruised out of Florida in February and there were literally hundreds and hundreds of kids. But one year we cruised out of Galveston and there were only about 100 kids on the whole ship. But my boys loved it! I think they were 7 and 9 then. There were enough kids to hang out with but they still got lots of attention. But all the cruises were 7 nights.

But honestly, not all schools get President's week off from school. In our district we only get the day off, but we get spring break the week after Easter and the entire week of Thanksgiving off. Now, some of the other districts in our area get Spring break the week before Easter AND they get President's Week off. Either way, it's nice being in a place that doesn't see snow days.

I posted this here as opposed to RC's board because it seems like any discussion about kids there ends up being a discussion about why we should leave our kids behind and cruise without them.

No - really???? ;)

Anyway, since your son is only 4 I wouldn't worry about it. His age group 3-5yrs old aren't really even in school yet anyway so parents with the oldest kid in that age bracket probably try to go when schools are not out to avoid the high prices and the masses. Plus, like other people stated - many people have winter breaks around that time. Not a lot but enough. Have fun!

Archived