Cash or Credit card

browneyedpete

While some island shops may accept credit cards, I learned from my bank (Chase) that they assess a 3% international transaction fee, while Discover Card does not do so.

Further, if you expect to use your credit cards away from home, it's a good idea to call your credit card company before you leave and have them put a note in your file when and where you'll be travelling. Otherwise, they may deny charges, thinking either your card was stolen or your purchase is a case of credit card fraud.

Just as with merchants in the States, not all overseas are honest. My friend had her card information stolen, and charges started magically appearing on her card. Fortunately she was able to disprove the origin of the charges and got them credited back to her account, and had card number closed/recycled, but it was still a frustrating experience.

While I by no means intend to stir up paranoia, I hope to encourage awareness of the risks.

so I'm assuming visa check cards will be treated the same as regular credit cards on the islands?

NO! Don't assume check cards are the same. Those are considered a totally different "animal" by some businesses. Just 3 weeks ago, I saw people being turned down in Miami when just trying to buy some beach lotions pre cruise. There was quiite a "discussion"..that's how I know about it. The customers walked out with nothing and had to go back to their hotel for some cash.

Get a regular credit card, put a relatively small max on it if you are worried and take cash along to use on the islands. We always bring 50.00 in singles. They come in handy for just those cold drinks or tips. Lock up the card (and extra cash) in your safe and save it for really big purchases and to close your shipboard account.

And remember--very few places outside of the U.S. will take American Express!!!

We use cash for smaller purchases and a credit card for larger ones in reputable stores.

Try not to pay for a $3.00 item with a large bill, or you may get foreign dollars back as change!

Archived