Scenic Tours river cruise

Ricky Chan

We have not booked or cruised with Scenic Tours but are also thinking of doing so and am anxious to hear any comments -- good or bad -- about them.

Their brochure and information sounds wonderful and they offer many great itineraries.

I hope someone out there can give us a good review about them.

we have booked with them for 2009. They have a good reputation for land tours is what i heard from my TA. I like the looks of their new ships plus the balconies!! The itinerary is a basic 2 week cruise with add on precruise or post cruise tours. Hopefully once the new ships start sailing we will hear from passengers.

we have booked with them for 2009. They have a good reputation for land tours is what i heard from my TA. I like the looks of their new ships plus the balconies!! The itinerary is a basic 2 week cruise with add on precruise or post cruise tours. Hopefully once the new ships start sailing we will hear from passengers.

I have put down $500.00 refundable deposit for my wife and I. 2009 pricing hasn't come out yet. Once it comes out, I have only one week to decide if I want to book it. And once I put down additional $500.00 deposit, it will become non refundable.

From looking at the brochure, it looks very nice and upscale. I have booked a 11 day Prague/Budapest Danube River cruise for Sept. 7, 2009. It is first year the company offers this itinerary.

I like its teak balcony suite, plus the price is all inclusive.

Ricky

We are booked for july 2009 Amsterdam to Budapest with a 3 day Paris precruise. We also deposited $500.00 for a hold on the dates/cabin. She told us we would be hearing very soon what the new prices will be and then have to deposit more to hold the spot. it too is non-refundable.

I like the all inclusive nature to this line plus not having to drag formal wear with us.

Hopefully we may hear some reviews once it starts sailing.

Faye

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of cruising with this company and like you are anxious to hear some reviews.

When you left your deposit did you also get your cabin number put on hold? If not what is the $500.00 refundable deposit for?

We are thinking of cruising with this company and like you are anxious to hear some reviews.

When you left your deposit did you also get your cabin number put on hold? If not what is the $500.00 refundable deposit for?

The whole excercise of putting down $500.00 deposit for me is to secure the cabin that I want. There are only 6 cat. C cabins on Rhine deck.

The catch is once the pricing is released, which I am told will be at the end of March, I will only have one week to decide and put down another $500.00 for two or I will loose the reservation. (I am debating with myself about whether to crusie with Amadeus Waterways or Scentic Tours, both offering the same itineray that I am looking for)

This will be our first river cruising, one thing I learn is that the deposit is non-refundable once I confirm the booking : eek:

Ricky

Ricky,

I too and trying to decide between Amadeus Waterways and Scenic Tours. The only reason I haven't left a deposit with Amadeus is that all the dates for the summer of 2009 for the Magnificent Europe cruises are "sold out" except for about three dates which don't work for me. Apparently they were chartered out to other companies and I've yet to find out which companies. If anyone knows how to go about finding out or has any ideas where to check I'd really appreciate it if you'd post and let me know.

I like Scenic Tours also even though they seem to be a little more money (comparing this year). The only thing I'm not to keen on is the fact that even at the time Scenic Tours calls and tells you the prices for 2009 they won't tell you which cabin number you'll be assigned. You can put it in a "request" but to me that's not good enough. When I book I like to know not only which cabin category but pick my cabin. We are still debating whether to leave the refundable deposit with them and decide next month.

By the way, which itinerary are you looking for?

SF- When we deposited with Scenic Tours last fall, we were given the choice of cabins and we told them. A email that came within the last 2 days stated they are in the process of finalizing the dates and pricing for 2009 but the dates and cabin # chosen was secure. Not sure if/when they changed their policy but we have a specific date and cabin # already. Just waiting for the finalized pricing.

Ricky- one of the things that I didn't like was the non-refundable part too. But I have been looking at a few other tour agencies for other trips and I wonder if this is a trend being started. I can't remember who else, but I have seen this with other companies.

I have heard from other sources that European River cruising is coming to be very popular and many dates for 2009 are sold out already. WOW, that's all I can say about that!! Glad we are booked and deposited. We usually book asap but this is the first time we have booked 20 months away!

Its going to be a long wait till july 2009 but at least we have a couple other trips before then to obsess about:)

Faye

Faye,

When I spoke to the rep. today she said they can't confirm cabin numbers. Not sure if this is something new or not. I even asked her if at the time they have their final pricing next month if they'd confirm the cabin number and she wouldn't commit but said it could be requested. Sounds a little different that what you were told. So, when you left your refundable deposit for 2009 they gave you not only the deck but your cabin number? Would like to hear from others who have a refundable deposit for 2009 with Scenic Tours if they also got to pick their cabin number. Sounds strange to me that they'd let you pick a cabin but not others.:confused:

SF- We are booked into cabin 332 (cat p) for july 2009. When we did the booking, she asked us which cabin we wanted. If you email me, i will give you the name of the lady who we talked to and she has been very helpful right from the beginning. I am confused why they won't allow requests for cabin assignments because i guarantee you, if I didn't have any say in which cabin i was assigned to, I probably wouldn't give them a deposit. Funny thing about wanting to pick your own cabin location!! I don't like doing cabin guarantees with cruise lines because i want the cabin i want!! Not one they want to give me.

The only thing I can think of as to why they may have changed things is maybe they have had so many prebookings, they are working through all the requests and don't want to double book specific cabins?? Just a thought.

jdiacon@telusplanet.net

Faye

SF_ when i looked at my booking with Scenic Tours the fine print does say cabin number is a request only. Seems I missed that detail. I will contact the lady at Scenic Tours to check this out and relay on your concerns too. When I hear anything back, I'll let you know.

Faye

Faye,

Thanks so much for posting back. I'd be curious to know what Scenic Tours say when you call them Monday. Please post when they reply to you. They also said I could tell them which cabin but it would only be a request.

I'm like you, I don't like giving deposits unless I can confirm my cabin. That's why I book so far in advance, to get the cabin I want. We alway book as soon as the dates open. We never take "guarantees". It's fine if that's what you like but we prefer to know exactly which cabin we have. I like specific locations (not under restaurants, nor clubs, etc.....). We are seriously thinking of booking with another river cruise company based on this issue. I like the idea of having a balcony to sit on while cruising the river which Scenic Tours has and most other lines don't but I prefer having my cabin number confirmed even more and other river cruise lines do this upon booking.

I agree with your thought.....they have had so many pre-bookings, they are working through all the requests and don't want to double book specific cabins. Anyway, whatever the reason really is they need to work on this issue as there itinerary and cruise sounds really nice.

I put down the deposit and reserve the cabin that I want. There are only 6 cabins of Cat. C ;)

Ricky

Ricky,

I too and trying to decide between Amadeus Waterways and Scenic Tours. The only reason I haven't left a deposit with Amadeus is that all the dates for the summer of 2009 for the Magnificent Europe cruises are "sold out" except for about three dates which don't work for me. Apparently they were chartered out to other companies and I've yet to find out which companies. If anyone knows how to go about finding out or has any ideas where to check I'd really appreciate it if you'd post and let me know.

I like Scenic Tours also even though they seem to be a little more money (comparing this year). The only thing I'm not to keen on is the fact that even at the time Scenic Tours calls and tells you the prices for 2009 they won't tell you which cabin number you'll be assigned. You can put it in a "request" but to me that's not good enough. When I book I like to know not only which cabin category but pick my cabin. We are still debating whether to leave the refundable deposit with them and decide next month.

By the way, which itinerary are you looking for?

S.F.:

I haven't make up my mind yet whether to cruise with Amadeus Waterways or Scenic Tours. I am waiting for the pricing to be released and compare it with Amadeus(it's pricing has been released but without land tour portion)and then make the decision.

My receipt shows MS Scenic Diamond - Cat. C, but no mention of cabin no. I requested cabin no. 230, I guess it is not guaranteed.

I am taking 11 day Gems of Danube River Cruise, which is almost identical to Amadeus itinerary.

Ricky ;)

SF- We are booked into cabin 332 (cat p) for july 2009. When we did the booking, she asked us which cabin we wanted. If you email me, i will give you the name of the lady who we talked to and she has been very helpful right from the beginning. I am confused why they won't allow requests for cabin assignments because i guarantee you, if I didn't have any say in which cabin i was assigned to, I probably wouldn't give them a deposit. Funny thing about wanting to pick your own cabin location!! I don't like doing cabin guarantees with cruise lines because i want the cabin i want!! Not one they want to give me.

The only thing I can think of as to why they may have changed things is maybe they have had so many prebookings, they are working through all the requests and don't want to double book specific cabins?? Just a thought.

jdiacon@telusplanet.net

Faye

Faye:

I hope once I put down non-refundable deposit, the cabin no. will be gauranteed, otherwise I may have to rethink cruising with them.

Ricky :eek:

Greetings. I am most intrigued by this thread. This is the first I've heard of Scenic Tours. I like what I see on the website and have ordered a brochure. Meanwhile, a couple of questions, please. What is the policy on smoking? (I hope it's not allowed at all inside...) Also, there is obviously a tie to Holland America. If you browse the website, you will see a photograph of a chef who appears in all the HAL brochures. Also, a photograph of food on a plate is identical to a photo used in HAL brochures. Anyone know?

Cheers,

Spoely

Spoely- I was not sure of the smoking policy (not sure why I didn't ask before). I looked at their brochure and it says:

*Smoking is not permitted inside tourist coaches or indoors on any ship and such other places prohibited by the Company from time to time. Smoking is not permitted on the balconies of Scenic Tours Cruise ships.

*The Company will use its reasonable endeavours to ensure there are frequent stops on any coach trip and outside decks on board are available for smoking but the Company cannot guarantee these facilities will be available.

Not really sure what that all means but it sounds like there will only be smoking on specific outside areas? What do you think?

I don't think Scenic tours is affiliated with HAL because all research I have done says it is a privately run company by a gentleman named Glenn Moroney who has offered tours from Australia for the past 20 years. I could be wrong!

We are looking forward to sailing on these new ships with the level of service they are promising. I do like balconies!! The ladies I talked with at the Vancouver office say the interest so far has been amazing!

Ricky- I will ask about that too once we are ready to put non-refundable $ down. Although the email we did get last week said "all bookings were secure and all cabins will not be impacted by new bookings they receive". So it does sound like we are hopefully okay for our cabin choices.

Faye

Greetings. I am most intrigued by this thread. This is the first I've heard of Scenic Tours. I like what I see on the website and have ordered a brochure. Meanwhile, a couple of questions, please. What is the policy on smoking? (I hope it's not allowed at all inside...) Also, there is obviously a tie to Holland America. If you browse the website, you will see a photograph of a chef who appears in all the HAL brochures. Also, a photograph of food on a plate is identical to a photo used in HAL brochures. Anyone know?

Cheers,

Spoely

Spoely:

You are right, the chef on both brochures are identical.

I think they my have some connections, because HAL headquarter is in Seattle, U.S.A. and Scenic Tours has just opened a North America office in Vancouver, Canada (where I live). So they may have a special deal for joint promotion.

Ricky

Cheers,

Spoely

Spokely:

You are right, the pictures of the chef on both brochures are identical.

I think they may have had connection. HAL headquarter is in Seattle, U.S.A. and Scenic Tours has just opened a North America office in Vancouver, Canada (where I live). The two cities are very close, they may have a deal for joint promotion.

Ricky :cool:

From what I've gathered (phone conversations) I don't think confirmation on a cabin number will be confirmed at the time prices come out. It may be several months from now as their system isn't equipped to handle "live bookings" yet. From what I've been told I don't think you should have a problem getting one of the cabin numbers you requested. It's just the uncertainty on not being able to compare prices (Amadeus' which is out vs Scenic Tours which is coming out). Scenic Tours does sound upscale and I also love the idea of balconies so .....what to do? Take a confirmed cabin on Amadeus now and prices we can live with or hang tight with a tentative booking not knowing the prices/cabin number from Scenic? When prices do come out what's to say how much they'll increase from this year. If we book Scenic and wait for their prices I'm sure Amadeus won't have any cabins left by then as there were only two as of last week and should the cost increase drastically from this year to next on Scenic we'd have very little choices since dates are impt to us as we can only go during June.

I got an email from the lady we have been dealing with and this is her answer. I am trying to copy and paste her response but I don't do computers too well so i don't know how this attempt will turn out.

"Hello Faye.

We are working on our cabin allocation system at the moment for 2009.

Physically I cannot book this cabin as of yet, however, I have added this comment into your booking and we will work to ensure you receive this number..

Here is what has been commented..

Please note that cabin number 332 has been requested...and client only wants this cabin number..

If you can assist greatly appreciated..

Sandra

As our program is new, certain portions of the operations part has not been completed..this is one program still being worked on. Rest assured I will do my best to ensure you receive what has been requested.

Kind regards,

Sandra"

SF-Can you make a reservation with the other line (with a deposit) and then get your money back if you change your mind and are within no penalty range?

You make good points about pricing. I hope prices don't go up too much from 2008 because the 2008 prices are reasonable to us. Even if they go up 10%, i think we will still go. Now, any more increase than that may have us looking at doing something else for 2009 and river cruises may have to wait. I think we are just feeling some of the growing pains for a new company and this will be ironed out very shortly. But they do look nice!! I am glad we aren't going this year, it will give them time to sort through things.

Faye.

Faye,

Thanks for posting the response you received. I agree with you when you said,

"I think we are just feeling some of the growing pains for a new company and this will be ironed out very shortly."

I also think their 2008 prices are reasonable and like you we'd still keep the booking (should we make one) if it went up slightly but if it went up more than 10% we'd also cancel.

As for leaving a deposit with the other company, yes, I could do that but we'd lose a few hundred dollars should we cancel.There deposit isn't refundable. That's my dilemma, go with a company and prices I know about or wait until next month to find out prices from Scenic. I'm just worried that it will go up drastically and therefore like you we'd also have to cancel. I've been trying to find reviews or feedback on Scenic Tours but so far I haven't been successful.

SF- When we first started searching for a cruise I tried every which way but loose to find anything about scenic Tours on the internet. Didn't find much except the press releases about the new ships. Seems bookings and responses have been so great they ordered 2 other ships for 2009. That will make 4 all together. Anyhow, I did ask a TA we have used if she had ever heard of the company and she said yes. She said they had a good reputation for high quality tours. I like that!

I guess if it doesn't work out for us for this company for 2009 we will just do something else. We also have been looking at Asia lately so maybe that's what we will do instead. Kind of interesting that for many of these companies 2009 is already heavily booked. They must be rubbing their hands together with glee!

Seems like many of us have seen enough of the Med and Baltic and are venturing inland. I dislike having to pack and unpack every few days so cruising for us is ideal. I hope the rivers don't become too crowded like many of the Caribbean and Alaskan ports have become.

ANyhow, it is fun planning and trying to be patient is hard:)

Faye

Faye,

I've also tried to research the company with no luck. Glad to hear that your TA heard of them and said they give high quality tours. We are seriously thinking of leaving a deposit and if we do then have them put in the remarks section the cabin number we want and only that cabin number (like you did). Did they say what would happen if you couldn't get that cabin number? Will they refund your deposit? They really shouldn't hold you to it should they not be able to supply what you want.

Is there any special reason you chose that cabin number?

Archived