Scenic Tours river cruise

Ricky Chan

SF-I don't think we are really too concerned about not getting the cabin we want. We did book in Oct or November so hopefully there weren't too many bookings already by that time. There are 4 cabins in that category and as long as one of them comes up, great. If not, then the next level is only $50.00 more per person. That won't break the bank! I just want to make sure we have a cabin that is on the highest deck that has cabins so i can sit out and watch the scenery. I have heard if you have a cabin on the lower decks then what you often can see is only the river banks and nothing higher. If I am paying this much money for a trip then i want to see the scenery. not just the river banks. I could be wrong but this is what other people have said when river cruising. Time will tell.

I also wanted a cabin at the end of the ship so we didn't hear all the people on the walking track on the top deck. With a new ship, i would hope the insulation is good and sound transfer will not be an issue. And if we do hear the walkers, then i guess we'll just go out onto our balcony or go join them!!

We don't usually sweat too many things, I like my vacation time too much to let too many things bug me.

By the way, what itinerary are u looking at? We are hoping to do the 3 day Paris pretour and then the 15 night Amsterdam to Budapest trip. This will be the first trip by ourselves without one of any of our sons with us. That's why I am not sweating things too much!! After 27 years traveling with children, this will be heaven!

Faye

Faye,

We are also going without the kids. For us also 27 years and after this May no more college payments!!!!!:) We usually don't sweat the small stuff on vacation either but this river cruising planning is so different from the ocean cruises we plan. We are seasoned cruisers on those type but this is our first river cruise. It seems to be getting really popular and after researching and seeing photos we're excited to possibly being able to take one. We also decided that if the prices go up to much and we can't get a cabin with another company we'll do something else land wise or take an ocean cruise again.

We are also interested in the Amsterdam to Budapest. We've been to Amsterdam before so we'll probably arrive the day of embarkation. Not to worried about being late as the ship will be moored there overnight. We've been to Paris before so won't be taking the pre-cruise tour but will probably stay in Budapest a day or two more. What month are you booked for? We are interested in June 2209.

I believe Scenic Tours has cruises this summer so hopefully we'll see some good reviews by then. Curious to know what people think of the food, day tours, entertainment etc... I'm sure everything will be upscale.

Ricky and Faye,

Thanks for the responses. And I too am caught between a rock and a hard place. In my case, though, I am torn between Avalon and Scenic Tours. Amadeus seems to have chartered their boats in the fall of '09. What's up with that? Maybe they prefer to charter them out rather than run their own cruises. In any case, the only prices I can get for Avalon and Scenic are for 2008. Need to be patient, I guess.

Cheers,

Karen

We were looking at Avalon also but were told their prices won't be out until June. If we don't hold a cabin on Amadeus now and should their ships be filled when we check again in a month then we'll either go with Scenic Tours (providing the price doesn't go up drastically) or Avalon. Karen, you're right it seems to be a waiting game and patience is needed......but I want to know now!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I have no choice so I'll have to just hang in there until next month.

SF- We are going in July 2009 so we will miss each other by a month. Son #3 will be graduating grade 12 in June 2009 or we probably would have travelled then. Then we get into college assistance again!! Son #1 and #2 are done school.

We haven't been to this region before so it is all new. Last summer we went and did the med cruise again and then went to Switzerland for a week. I do like Europe!

I was looking in a Marlin Travel brochure today (large Canadian travel company) and saw an add for Scenic Tour. Nice to see them advertising. Yesterday I received another email from our lady at Scenic Tours and she stated that people will have confirmation of cabin assignment long before they sail. So perhaps if you just give them the cabin category with the prefered cabin#, they will work on that. She said for us not to worry she will look after us. I'm not too worried, if I get on the ship in a balcony cabin, all will be great!!

Karen- it is hard to decide what to do. At least with ocean cruises you have the option to deposit and then as long as you change your mind within the no-penaly phase, you can get your money back. Kinda wish river cruising was the same! Historically I don't think pricing changes all that dramatically much between one year to the next.

I kinda worry that maybe the reviews for this new season will be poor and then we are too late to rebook for any other company. My more rational brain then kicks in and says they have a whole year to iron out the bugs before we get on. I'm not sure I would want to be on any inaugral sailings. Many others love them but I am not too sure! This company is supposed to be high quality so we will have to be adventurous enough to give it a whirl.

Happy Valentine's Day to all

Faye

Faye,

Sorry we won't be on the same sailing as it would have been nice meeting you.

Last summer we did the Baltic cruise and really enjoyed the ports. Prior year we did Iceland and Norway. That was also a great trip. This year we are doing the Med Cruise with a few days pre and post in Barcelona. Have all our private tours booked. Only taking one with the ship in Santorini. Any hints or tips for the ports?

I agree with your thinking in regards to Scenic Tours. We will probably leave our refundable deposit tomorrow. Tried today but our TA was busy. I also don't think or at least am hoping the prices don't go up to much. You mentioned canceling if the prices increase more than you're willing to pay, we would also and I'm sure many others as well. It wouldn't serve their purpose of getting everyone to book ahead if we were all to cancel afterwards and they had to refund our deposits. I'm sure they must realize that issue. We figure if the prices do go up to much we'll look for another river cruise line and if things don't work because we can't find a sail date open we'll do something else. That's about the same plan you had mentioned.

Glad to hear that you did see some advertising from them. I haven't found anything yet in print. Also happy to hear that they will work with your choices of cabins. That originally (besides pricing) was my main concern. Hope I'm not making a mistake as I gave up a definite cabin with definite pricing for this. I liked the idea of a balcony and the size of the room.

Like you I'd be more nervous with the inaugural sailing this year. I'm hoping we'll have lots of positive reviews this summer and like you said they'll have a year to iron out the negative ones. This company like you mentioned and from what I've seen does seem to be upscale so I'm sure they'll do everything to ensure their customers have a good time.We had a choice to take the new ship Diamond coming out next year around March 2009 but we didn't want to take a chance since that sailing was the first week of June. For me it's too close to it's inaugural. We chose to sail on Sapphire which comes out this year. Which ship will you be sailing on?

Hi, Folks

I keep looking at this website...how can they offer staterooms that are approx. 200 sq. feet? They don't appear to be wider, just deeper. If ships are limited by the width of the locks, then...what?

I note that the artist's rendering of the two ships shows good shade cover on the top deck. That's very important to us as Dave has to avoid the sun in a serious way.

I got a brochure from Uniworld yesterday and their sundeck is all sun. On the other hand, they have a self-do laundry (good feature) and they now offer complimentary wines (lovely!).

SF -- yup, I want to know now! Hard to have the patience to wait this out for early reviews and 2009 prices.

Cheers,

Karen

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the "waiting crowd". Seems like we are all in the "same boat". :) We also need covering on the sun deck as my DH also can't sit out and catch the rays. As for the room being 200 sq. feet, maybe that's including the balcony, just a thought.

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the "waiting crowd". Seems like we are all in the "same boat". :) We also need covering on the sun deck as my DH also can't sit out and catch the rays. As for the room being 200 sq. feet, maybe that's including the balcony, just a thought.

Probably the 200 sq. ft. includes the balcony.....which, of course, is miniscule -- just big enough for two chairs. But then, what more do I need? Patience, that's what I need!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Karen

We did it!!!! Booked today. Now the waiting begins for prices and cabin assignments............ just hope we don't end up having to cancel due to high increases.:eek:

Karen,

The room is probably the same size as the other cabins but the difference is the small balcony. At least that's my guess. The size even though small is fine as long as you can get two chairs on it. I can always hold my drink if no table is available!!!!!!!;) Just sitting and watching the gorgeous scenery pass by sounds fabulous! Did you book yet?

SF- wow, you had me worried. I didn't even think to worry about what ship we were on. I checked the confirmation they sent and it is the Sapphire we are booked on. Never even thought of being on one of the newer ships. Did they allow you to request a cabin #? Any idea when the new dates/prices will be finalized? The email I received week ago said in March they would be in contact with us for the pricing. I can live with that.

We did the Baltic 2003 with #2 and #3 son. They liked it but I liked the Med better. We have done it twice now. We travelled from Venice to Barcelona with Celebrity and then Rome roundtrip for the second cruise.

I liked staying in Barcelona one night after and walking down the Las Ramblas. Great place to watch people and all the street vendors and mimes. We went to a monestery, name is escaping me, just outside of Barcelona. It is on a high mountain with beautiful sights. There is a working monastery with a Black Maddona in it. Very beautiful and worth the trip i thought. It was arranged through the cruise line.

We too did private tours all the way for most of the ports and then the 2nd cruise, some of them we felt we could do ourselves. Santorini is breathtaking but lots of walking and it was very hot. Sometimes I have felt it is too small of an island for all the cruisers who come off the ships to see it. But it is not to be missed at all.

Rome was definitely one of my favorites, especially the second time as we stayed there 3 nights before. Just got a map and started walking. Everything is very close to everything else. Got turned around a few times but then we just went around a corner and there was something else to see.

You are wise to book now for this summer. When we booked, we did it a year in advance and some of the favorites were already spoken for.

Yes, now we play the waiting game but at least I know there are others who will also be waiting for news with me!!

By the way, DH and I love the sun so we will probably be the ones to drag the chairs out into the sun so we can age faster!!!!

Have a good weekend, and may the patience fairy sprinkle us with the good stuff!!

Faye

What is the policy on smoking? (I hope it's not allowed at all inside...)

According to the terms and conditions about smoking that I read, there is no smoking inside, only on the PUBLIC DECK. All the discussion about the balconies refer to them as being part of the PRIVATE space.

That means there is no smoking on the PRIVATE TEAK BALCONIES, either.

Sounds good to us!

A balcony is TOTALLY USELESS if there's a smoker nearby.

That's one of the main selling points to me on a ship with balconies, though I want to read that there won't be any cigar smoke permitted on the sun deck.

I am curious about the dining, and was disappointed when I read that not only breakfast, but lunch, too, will be BUFFET. I may be wrong, but I thought I read that Amadeus (and/or Avalon) has a sit-down, served, lunch.

Does anyone know for sure, preferably someone who has cruised with Amadeus/Avalon?

I did see lounge chairs on the top deck of other river cruise ships but not sure if Scenic Tours will have any.

We booked Danube Deck. Hope we don't hear all the noise from the chairs being moved. Figured we'd have to be up early to tour so it shouldn't be a problem plus we'll be off the ship most of the day. I really don't think they allow people on the sun deck after a certain hour in the evening. I heard other lines close the top deck after a certain time so I'm pretty sure they will also. We were concerned at first about the walking track but I really can't see people jogging on this type of cruise. I'd be more concerned on an ocean voyage with over 2,000 passengers especially the younger set.

I know the other lines do have omelette's and made to order items, you just have to ask. Not sure how Scenic is going to handle it but I'm sure we won't have a problem finding something to eat. For lunch a salad, soup or sandwich to me is ok too. I'm not into eating a big meal during the day but I will look forward to the evening dinner with the wine.:)

They told me the prices should be out by the end of March and that they would contact either your TA or you personally if you booked directly with them. The next few weeks of waiting are going to drive me nuts!!!! I'd like to know the prices just to relax because if they increase too much I'd have to start this whole process over again with another line.

Are any of you staying prior in Amsterdam or post cruise in Budapest? We've been to Amsterdam several times so we aren't going to do a pre-cruise stay but will remain in Budapest for an extra day or two. Any good suggestions on hotels?

• 3 weeks later...
anyone heard about the new prices yet? I see the website is getting the dates on there for 2009 (slowly) but we haven't heard anything yet.

I still hate waiting!!!

Faye

The pricing won't be released until late March. :)

Ricky

Greetings!

Dave and I put down a $250/per person deposit on a September 21, 2009 cruise, Amsterdam to Budapest. We requested the Rhine deck (middle deck), mid-ship. At this point in time our deposit is fully refundable. When the 2009 prices come out (probably the end of this month), we will have 7 days to confirm our reservation with another $250/per person deposit which then becomes non-refundable.

Everything I've read suggests this will be a wonderful river cruise. Dave spoke to Sarah in reservations and she says the balconies are large enough for three chairs and in case of inclement weather, it is perfectly fine to move the two chairs into the stateroom itself. :)

Yippee!!

Cheers,

Karen (aka Spoely)

Hi I thought you might like to know that all of APT tourings river cruise brochures now state that Amadeaus cruises are now patners of APT Australia. So if you have trouble booking with Amadeaus directly maybe you can go thru APT.

Just a thought.:)

• 3 weeks later...

SF- I have been faithfully watching Scenic Tours website every couple days. I see prices on the website for 2009 dates for our 15 day tour. The prices were not there yesterday!! Now i just have to go back and see if we can afford it!! Have a look and see if the prices are there for your tour.

Faye

Faye,

Thanks for the "heads up" on the prices. I see the base price for our dates but not the other prices for upgrading to the cabin we chose. I guess my TA should be calling soon after getting a call from Scenic Tours with the "grand total". We'll also have to see what the total comes to and then decide. Post when you decide what you'll be doing.

Spokely:

You are right, the pictures of the chef on both brochures are identical.

I think they may have had connection. HAL headquarter is in Seattle, U.S.A. and Scenic Tours has just opened a North America office in Vancouver, Canada (where I live). The two cities are very close, they may have a deal for joint promotion.

Ricky :cool:

Pictures are borrowed. Be careful with your enthousiasm on the socalled balconies on the Scenic ships. The size of the ship is determined by the size of the locks on the Main Danue canal. the width is never more than 11.6 meters. This means that the balcony is taken off the size of your cabin. Several rivercruiselines have tried this concept and none of them were happy with it. It is a great sales concept, until you get into your cabin. You'll see the size difference immediately. Take it from me, you will not spent much time on that balcony, it is simply too small. The French balconies featured by Amadeus and Avalon are far more practical.

SF- I have been faithfully watching Scenic Tours website every couple days. I see prices on the website for 2009 dates for our 15 day tour. The prices were not there yesterday!! Now i just have to go back and see if we can afford it!! Have a look and see if the prices are there for your tour.

Faye

Where on the website did you actually see the prices? I have just looked and can't find them -- thanks!

Pictures are borrowed. Be careful with your enthousiasm on the socalled balconies on the Scenic ships. The size of the ship is determined by the size of the locks on the Main Danue canal. the width is never more than 11.6 meters. This means that the balcony is taken off the size of your cabin. Several rivercruiselines have tried this concept and none of them were happy with it. It is a great sales concept, until you get into your cabin. You'll see the size difference immediately. Take it from me, you will not spent much time on that balcony, it is simply too small. The French balconies featured by Amadeus and Avalon are far more practical.

Has anyone who's left a deposit asked Scenic Tours about the size of the cabin itself?

tarredon:

I just went to destination, then river cruises and after selecting the itinerary I wanted I went to prices/sail dates but they don't have the 2009 prices listed anymore. All I see now are the 2008 prices, don't know what happened!!!

I just went to Scenic's website to check out the cabin measurements. It stated, "160 square feet for a standard stateroom. Our standard balcony suites are a spacious 200 square feet." So apparently the cabin itself is around 160 sq. feet and the extra to make it up to 200 sq. ft would be the size of the balcony.

Amadeus states that their french balcony cabins are 170 sq. feet and Avalon's 172 sq. ft.

Just a thought....... For me the extra little here or there won't make much of a difference as I would like to have a balcony even a small one but it all depends on the prices.

Archived