Is a 10:30 flight from SEATTLE on a Saturday possible?

racepoint

I know it's earlier than the recommended time, but because of the availibility and the cost reduction of a 10:30-10:45 a.m. flight, I just have to ask. We're sailing NCL Star from Alaska in July, arriving back in port in Seattle on a Saturday (est. 7:00 a.m.) Can anyone give me some first-hand experience with Star/NCL disembarkation/Seattle traffic, etc, in July? I have been looking and looking for a flight that departs after noon, but it comes at a heavy cost. We are both strong and healthy and have no problem carrying our own luggage off. (It means getting home to the East Coast before midnite on Saturday v. a very, very late departure; traveling all night; and changing planes, before arriving home Sunday around noon. Ugh. Staying overnight in SEA after the cruise and departing on Sunday is not an option. $$$$):o

Consider your options....missed flight vs easy transit.

Check out hotels near SEATAC. I have been looking for May for a land trip and they are far more reasonable than downtown hotels. Most also have shuttles.

It is highly unlikely you will make a 10:30-10:45 flight. It does not matter which line you are sailing. Just because the ship docks at 7 does not mean that you can grab your bags and get off. The ship must be cleared by Customs and Immigration/Coast Guard/and any other entity that needs access to the ship. Then there is the nasty wait for everyone to clear their bills with the purser and then the priority disembarking passengers. The VERY BEST case would get you off the ship at 7:30. Catch a cab and get stuck in traffic and your goose is cooked. And that is not taking into consideration that there is no elevation in the security at the airport which will slow down check in and TSA screening.

After 20 something cruises and quite a few trips to Seattle I would not even consider it. FYI I wouldn't book a return at that time out of Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale, with cruise ports and airports just minutes away.

You might want to look at some creative routings or enjoy a day in Seattle and travel on Sunday.

There is major roadway construction going on with the access roads into the airport. I can only picture how it will be on "cruise days" -- cars/taxis/buses all lined up clogging the departure ramp.

If you insist on trying this, be sure to have your taxi take you to the ARRIVALS level - more traffic lanes and likely to be a better bet. You'll have to haul your luggage upstairs to the departure level, but you'll beat everyone stuck in the narrower departure roadway, and the very narrow sidewalk.

The only way I would recommend you take a 10:30 flight is this:

• You have carry-on bags only; no checked luggage.
  • You do web check-in in advance of your airport arrival so you can skip the lines at Ticketing.
  • You are flying first class or are an elite flyer so you can bypass the long security lines.
  • You are in your cab headed to the airport by 8:30 a.m. AND all the above are true.

Seattle traffic, as already mentioned, is horrible and there is construction en route to Sea-Tac.

Sorry to not be rah-rah about this, but it's just unlikely you could make it happen without all of the above being true.

Thanks, Travlgrl. I wasn't looking for a rah-rah response and appreciate your candid advice. This isn't my first cruise - just my first cruise from Seattle. My only post-cruise experiences have been in San Juan, MIA and FLL, where I was careful to book afternoon flights, only to arrive at the airport at 8:45 and have to hang out with my luggage for hours and hours before I could even check it in - and then find something to occupy the time. I think I've decided to fly in, pre-cruise, on an evening flight ($)and get an airport hotel just to be in town on the evening prior to sailaway. On our return, I'll (try) to book a downtown hotel ($$$) and we can spend the day seeing Seattle and fly home on Sunday a.m. Thanks for your input, as this is what I was looking for in order to make a decision.;)

Archived