Football Fans on Regent?

keywestcat

Hi Everyone.

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise with Regent (on the Voyager) in Dec. '08. We both really enjoy watching the Sunday and Monday night football games and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any place to see them in any of the public areas?

Thanks very much - I really hope this isn't a stupid question for this type of a cruise!

I have been on several December trips with Regent. I think football availability becomes a matter of how many passengers ask about it, and where the ship is at the time.

On this years holiday cruise on Mariner, after a lot of people asking Brian the cruise director, the college bowl games were shown on the big screen in the theater.He said they did not have rights to show the NFL games.

The previous year on Voyager there was a football party in one of the lounges on Sunday, but once again I think we watched college games.

Some NFL games are available on your room TV.

When we were on the world cruise we watched the Super Bowl in Constellation Theater on a huge screen. They served hot dogs, beer, pizza. They had one of those boards where you could buy a square for $ and win $ if you had the square with the correct, quarter, half time, final score. Depending on where you are and the time zone....it can be pretty tricky. Once there was a game shown at something like 3 in the morning....doubt there was a good turnout for that one.

On last year's Voyager World Cruise we saw the Super Bowl in the middle of the night/early morning! We had just left Cape Town and were heading northeast in the southern Indian Ocean. The game began around 1:00 a.m. Monday and they showed it in the small conf room. We had about 45 fans at the beginning, but the crowd dwindled rapidly as the fourth quarter began and it was a blowout. We found out later that the game was also shown on an in-house channel in the cabins. Chef Tobias and F&B Mgr Laurens arranged typical football food -- chicken wings, pizza, snacks, beverages and fresh hot pastries at halftime! We all had a great time.

The NFL playoff games were shown in the Voyager Lounge in a most unstaisfactory manner. They used a graphical computer Internet feed from Yahoo. All one saw was a diagram of a football field with markers, stats and text msgs as each play was run. The operator had to continually "refresh" the feed, as it was spotty. It was like watching paint dry.

Larry

We were on Voyager over the holidays this year. They had a bunch of the college bowl games on the in-room TV system. I didn't pay attention to the timing, but I think they were on tape delay, not live. We didn't get the NFL games the first weekend, but we were near southern California the next weekend, and the cruise director announced they were able to pick up the TV signal over the air -- and they put it on the TV system for us. I noticed it was also on the TV in the coffee bar area; not exactly a sports bar experience! I think had we been outside US waters, we wouldn't have gotten the NFL broadcasts. I'm not sure why they can't pick up network TV feeds off satellites, but either technology or legal rights seem to preclude it.

-- Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Archived