Prudoe Bay/Coldfoot

fundayz

Hi Everyone -

We will be taking a Princess cruise tour on July 21, 2008 (tour 17N) We are cruising north and then doing the land tour. We fly to Prudoe Bay and then take a bus to Coldfoot and on to Fairbanks. Has anyone done this trip?

There doesn't seem to be too much information on Prudoe Bay or Coldfoot. We will be spending the night in both. This is our honeymoon trip. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I had wanted to go to Prudoe Bay but there is nothing up there. I understand that accomdations are the cabins or trailers that were used by the people who built the pipeline. Not sure I would wnat to go there for my honeymoon unless you are really interested is roughing it.

Here are a couple of threads that deal with the Arctic Circle and Prudhoe.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=685767&highlight=PRUDHOE

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=647229&highlight=PRUDHOE

Greatam is the resident expert in this trip and I am sure she will add her thoughts. She suggests flying to Prudhoe and returning by land so you have that much right :). I am sure she would suggest doing this trip independently through Northern Alaska - http://www.northernalaska.com/arctic-ocean.htm

That way you are more flexible with stops, etc. The Princess buses don't have the options to turn around, go back, etc.

John

Thanks, John, for posting the links.

To the OP-John is correct. The Princess cruise tour leaves A LOT to be desired. I got word that BP is cracking down on the amount of people that get the "LONG" tour through the oilfields/pumping station/transfer stations that are actually in Prudhoe. They will get the "short" tour and most would not know the difference. Which is basically a drive through the facility, with no stops and little information and a longer stop at the Arctic Ocean.

There have been some problems with the large group tours evidently. My ex employee states that some one last summer wrote to a BP exec about the "crappy" housing, "crappy" bus tour, etc. etc. So BP said tough-we just won't bend over backwards to show you what Prudhoe is about.

So I would anticipate that Princess will NOT tell anyone (they most likely don't know the difference).

To the OP-read through the other threads. There are MUCH better ways to see Prudhoe and the Arctic than on a Princess cruise tour. Northern Alaska puts together a dynamite tour. Please investigate your options. If you have not made final payment, seriously consider cancelling a Princess Prudhoe tour. You will see more, have a better experience, and usually save some money.

We did the Princess Cruisetour, with a southbound cruise and we loved it. While there are other companies that do a similar tour, we decided that continuity and coordination were important - this was a long trip, both in length and distance, and we wanted to keep it as simple as possible. We were quite satisfied with the Princess tour, we had a lot of fun on the trip, and Princess took good care of us.

Have a wonderful trip.

Thank you for all your help. I am a little nervious about the Prudoe Bay/Coldfoot part of the trip.

But we did book it wanting something a little different for our honeymoon. This is our second marriage and we wanted to have a new experience for us to share together. We want to relax and enjoy ourselves with some adventure mixed in. And we figure if we can survive blending our kids together in one house and keeping peace.... the rustic hotels will be easy.... at least no one is banging on our door or crying or giving attitude....

Heck, at this point in our lives we enjoy 5 minutes of quiet in the parking lot of stores. Our alone time is very limited with both of us having full custody.

I don't know what we will do with ourselves for 15 days with out them, but I am looking forward to some quiet! They will get care packages each day at their grandparents houses and we will mail home presents too. They all have cell phones and know how to use them, so I'm sure our phones will not stop ringing... hey maybe Coldfoot is sounding better... no cell reception:)

Anyway thanks for all your help!

Thank you for all your help. I am a little nervious about the Prudoe Bay/Coldfoot part of the trip.

But we did book it wanting something a little different for our honeymoon. This is our second marriage and we wanted to have a new experience for us to share together. We want to relax and enjoy ourselves with some adventure mixed in. And we figure if we can survive blending our kids together in one house and keeping peace.... the rustic hotels will be easy.... at least no one is banging on our door or crying or giving attitude....

Heck, at this point in our lives we enjoy 5 minutes of quiet in the parking lot of stores. Our alone time is very limited with both of us having full custody.

I don't know what we will do with ourselves for 15 days with out them, but I am looking forward to some quiet! They will get care packages each day at their grandparents houses and we will mail home presents too. They all have cell phones and know how to use them, so I'm sure our phones will not stop ringing... hey maybe Coldfoot is sounding better... no cell reception:)

Anyway thanks for all your help!

I'm definately just stating an opinion, but no way, would I ever want to be on a cruisetour on my honeymoon. Your schedule is so fixed, limited and will be in close quarters with a group the entire time. I think doing Prudhoe/Coldfoot as an add on independently from Fairbanks would be far superior. The shuttles used allow far more ad lib stops and much more personal attention.

I'm definately just stating an opinion, but no way, would I ever want to be on a cruisetour on my honeymoon. Your schedule is so fixed, limited and will be in close quarters with a group the entire time. I think doing Prudhoe/Coldfoot as an add on independently from Fairbanks would be far superior. The shuttles used allow far more ad lib stops and much more personal attention.

OMG I soooo totally agree. I missed the honeymoon part in the first post.

OP, PLEASE take a look at the Northern Alaska tours.

http://www.northernalaska.com/arctic-ocean.htm

JMHO, but getting on and off a bus with 30-50 other people (especially on your honeymoon) is a drag. TOO many "dwaddlers". There is ALWAYS one couple who makes everyone late. The places to eat in both Pruhoe and Coldfoot are relatively small. Trying to get the entire Princess bus in those dining rooms is a hoot. There is NEVER enough room in Prudhoe. I have heard the people b****ing big time.

It can also take up to 2 hours to check in the entire Princess bus when they arrive in Prudhoe. If you fly, you have to wait for everyone to get on the same transport to the hotel, then wait in line again for hotel keys, explanantions, etc. You are missing VERY valuable (and expensive) time to wander around the area waiting in line and trying to get organized.

You will have a much better experience on a small tour. You may be the only ones in the van-there won't be more than 8. Just you and the driver, so you can spend the extra hour in Weisman and forget spending hours in Joy at the trading post (I can imagine how long it takes to get the Princess bus out of Joy-the "dwaddlers" must love that place).

You are spending a lot of money for a very special experience. PLEASE think this through about the cruise tour. We all think you will have a much better experience if you take a small tour. And you may save quite a bit of money. If you need help with the logistics, we are all here for you.

HI I am on the HAL Volendam similar tour. (I think I have one less day in Danali)

This is not about a cruise tour but should be a preview of part of your trip.

http://www.philly.com/philly/travel/9740702.html

You WILL NOT get the great experiences posted in the travel journal on a cruise tour. Please don't think you will.

Yes, the muskox herd is about 40 miles south of Deadhorse and stays pretty darn close to the highway. But you will NOT find the Princess or HAL bus pulling over to look at the herd. There is no room for a full sized bus, it would be dangerous to let 30-50 people out on the highway, and the musk ox herd would move with that many people moving around (and most likely not being very quiet).

Same thing with bear experiences. By the time someone spots a bear close to the road, the bus driver will usually be waaay past the spot. And there is no turning around a 60 foot bus on the Dalton, as there is with a 25 foot van. Besides, the liability for letting a whole bus load of people out on the highway is just too great for any cruise line to take.

On your cruise tour-you will look out the windows, see the scenery. You will stop at VERY fixed stops, with large, generally paved parking lots. You will most likely miss going out and digging into the tundra to feel the ice in the ground. You will miss the personal picnic on the banks of the Yukon River-cruise tours eat in the restaurant. You will miss the impromptu tour and explanations at the pump stations along the Pipeline-not enough room for the bus. You will miss a lot. Sorry!!!

You WILL NOT get the great experiences posted in the travel journal on a cruise tour. Please don't think you will.

Yes, the muskox herd is about 40 miles south of Deadhorse and stays pretty darn close to the highway. But you will NOT find the Princess or HAL bus pulling over to look at the herd. There is no room for a full sized bus, it would be dangerous to let 30-50 people out on the highway, and the musk ox herd would move with that many people moving around (and most likely not being very quiet).

Same thing with bear experiences. By the time someone spots a bear close to the road, the bus driver will usually be waaay past the spot. And there is no turning around a 60 foot bus on the Dalton, as there is with a 25 foot van. Besides, the liability for letting a whole bus load of people out on the highway is just too great for any cruise line to take.

On your cruise tour-you will look out the windows, see the scenery. You will stop at VERY fixed stops, with large, generally paved parking lots. You will most likely miss going out and digging into the tundra to feel the ice in the ground. You will miss the personal picnic on the banks of the Yukon River-cruise tours eat in the restaurant. You will miss the impromptu tour and explanations at the pump stations along the Pipeline-not enough room for the bus. You will miss a lot. Sorry!!!

I definately agree. I have only been to Coldfoot and Wiseman, both times with Northern Alaska tours, they do a superb job. We stopped for berry picking, and one guide had dug a hole, and allowed us to feel the ice of the permafrost. They were very well organized, with them knowing from a certain point- when to call ahead for our meal- did have to be ordered before we left. The order was faxed and was on the table - hot- upon our arrival. NO wasted time. Restroom stops were brief due to the size and then on our way. :)

I really think these tour differences are significant, and may not be for everyone. I do suggest all options be considered and looked at, at the prices these tours are- get the best.

One other thing

The cruise tours generally use Alaska Airlines for the flight to Prudhoe, flying at 30,000 feet. Northern Alaska uses small 8-10 passenger planes, flying at 8,000 feet. You actually get to see something, feel something of the vastness of Alaska and just how hard life is when there are no roads and it is 60 below zero.

If you are REALLY lucky, you can go with the pilot who makes the "milk run" dropping off cargo and maybe people (ask if this is possible). That is a really spectacular experience. The first time we did it, we actually spent about an hour in a very remote village. Went to the school-the entire villlage turned out to meet the plane. The kids were so proud of their school.

The second and third trips north, we specifically booked cargo runs. Great experiences-flying through the mountains, landing on the shores of small rivers. REALLY seeing what the great Alaska wilderness is about. The third trip, the pilot even showed us a lot of the route of the Iditarod. And seeing the Pipeline from the air and the humungous caribou herd are great experiences. You WILL NOT get that on an Alaska airlines flight.

It's your money and your time. But if you are going to spend all that money, make it worth your while.

This sound so nice.... I do want to experience Alaska fully. Thank you so much for your input! I may need your help in planning this special type of trip if my future hubby agrees to change our plans...

Being on the milk run would be so much fun!

Actually, the Princess bus will not only pull over to view the muskox herd, our driver rounded us up at the hotel in Deadhorse, loaded us back on the bus and drove us back down the road to see the muskox herd that was now close to the highway.

We had 21 people on our bus. There were two buses on our tour, and there were no problems or crowds at either the Hot Spot Cafe north of the Yukon River or at the dining room in Coldfoot - plenty of room and plenty of food. Same for the dining room in Deadhorse. I saw those 15 passenger vans from the other tour group bouncing up the highway - I think our bus was much more comfortable.

Our driver stopped at every interesting natural site and every animal by the side of the road. He knew so much about Alaska, and was a wonderful naturalist and tour guide.

Our flight back was a hoot - both cargo and passengers are loaded, they move the "wall" forward or back and take out or add seats depending on how much room they need for passengers. The crew from the airplane is the same crew at the airport - since there are very, very few flights in or out of Deadhorse. Our pilot pointed out all sorts of intersting things to see as we flew, and made two circles around Denali so we could see it and get pictures. There were several climbers on the mountain at the time, and we could easily see them.

There are several good options for going all the way to the top of Alaska, and they are all fun. Just make sure you will be able to make all your connections with all your luggage, etc. in a timely manner. That was the deciding factor for us.

Enjoy your trip.

Actually, the Princess bus will not only pull over to view the muskox herd, our driver rounded us up at the hotel in Deadhorse, loaded us back on the bus and drove us back down the road to see the muskox herd that was now close to the highway.

We had 21 people on our bus. There were two buses on our tour, and there were no problems or crowds at either the Hot Spot Cafe north of the Yukon River or at the dining room in Coldfoot - plenty of room and plenty of food. Same for the dining room in Deadhorse. I saw those 15 passenger vans from the other tour group bouncing up the highway - I think our bus was much more comfortable.

Our driver stopped at every interesting natural site and every animal by the side of the road. He knew so much about Alaska, and was a wonderful naturalist and tour guide.

Our flight back was a hoot - both cargo and passengers are loaded, they move the "wall" forward or back and take out or add seats depending on how much room they need for passengers. The crew from the airplane is the same crew at the airport - since there are very, very few flights in or out of Deadhorse. Our pilot pointed out all sorts of intersting things to see as we flew, and made two circles around Denali so we could see it and get pictures. There were several climbers on the mountain at the time, and we could easily see them.

There are several good options for going all the way to the top of Alaska, and they are all fun. Just make sure you will be able to make all your connections with all your luggage, etc. in a timely manner. That was the deciding factor for us.

Enjoy your trip.

You got one heck of a cruise tour. Most don't. I have sat in the dining room at Prudhoe talking to 3 or 4 different Princess bus drivers. They have all relayed that there is a lot to see on the road that they just can't stop for-too time consuming getting people on and off the bus and DOT safety regs for passengers do not allow unloading within 15 feet of the traveled portion of the roadway, except in emergencies. The dining room at the Caribou Inn is also where I have heard all the b****ing about not having a place to sit.

Again, you ate at the Hot Spot cafe-most of the private tours get a picnic in the woods. And the Northern Alaska tour van-maximum capacity 8 people. Two bucket seats in front and two bench seats for 3 people each in the rear.

I am glad you had a great trip. In fact, you had a very out of the norm trip. Most won't be so lucky!!!!

Enjoy your trip.

I can attest to everything Momj47 stated. I did this cruisetour in May/June 1999 -- maybe things have changed? But we had a wonderful trip with many impromptu stops. There were 2 buses with 30 pax each. No issues with any lodging or food (other than some who griped about prices). Our pilot did the Denali circling and we also spotted several climbers.

When (not if) I do this again, I would consider (and likely choose) other options. However, I was traveling w/2 senior citizens (my mom & aunt) and the Princess option worked best -- less for me to worry about in managing mom & aunt!

-- Renée

• 2 months later...

Her comments are right on target -- the trip with Princess is excellent. and I just did the trip in 2007. Our bus driver went out of her way to make frequent stops so we could see the wildlife. We never had an issue with food, and no one in our group was b****ing in the dining rooms. Our entire group enjoyed themselves. What I appreciated most about the Princess cruisetour is that you are with the same group of people for the entire trip -- you are able to bond with them and share in all of the experiences of the trip, which definitely makes the trip more enjoyable. Sure, there are some folks on the tour who are a "challenge" but overall, the ability to connect with others throughout the trip make is worthwhile.

If you have never been on a Princess cruisetour, especially one to Prudhoe Bay, you can't really judge it. Just like I wouldn't dare review the other tours.

My cruisetour was one of the best experiences of my life and I would do it again in a second. In fact, I plan do in the coming years. The trip to Prudhoe is well worth a repeated visit.

so glad to hear good comments about this Princess cruisetour- so many seem to want to complain and take the joy out of this trip. Nothing is ever perfect- stuff happens- but a trip is about learning new things, meeting people (even "strangers" across from you on a train), and seeing the sights. I don't expect perfect- I don't usually get that- I just want a chance to see something new.

Archived