Is it normal not to be excited?

We took our first cruise last year on the Pearl in Febuary. I was obsessed with going from the moment we booked. I couldn't quit thinking about it. I could tell anyone that would stand still long enough for me to bore exactly how many days to go at any given moment. By the "two weeks to go" mark, I was going nuts with anticipation. The cruise lived up to the hype, and we planned on coming back.

I'm at the "week and a half to go" mark, and I'm like "Eh, yeah, we're going." I realize I'm lucky to get to go and the freezing cold and snow the last week will make Cozumel that much better, but I'm just no where near as excited as I was last year.

I think its the "Been there, done that" problem. We are going on the same ship, almost the same ports. The only difference is Grand Cayman and an inside cabin instead of a balcony. I'm sure I'll have a good time, and I am looking forward to being warm for a week. But like most things in life, the first time is the most special.

Anyone else get this way or am I just nuts.

just curious why you booked the same ship, same itinerary? That probably has something to do with your lack of excitement. We're heading off on our 8th cruise in over a month and we did a doc dance together yesterday when the TA called to say docs were in...

I was going to ask the same question. I certainly wouldn't do the same ports, even if I did the same ship. Every island in the Caribbean is very similar, hot, beaches, rum. Sigh. Enjoyed it when I did it, but would have to go to new places. Wouldn't want to go to the same ones again.

We went to the Canary Islands on our second cruise. Would never do them again. Fairly boring.

Maybe you are worried about going to an inside room?

on my last cruise I stopped being excited about a week out. I knew it was coming and I knew it would fly by far too quickly. I was sad about that. I think the anticipation is 1/2 the fun.

I'm a little tiny bit less excited because it is not the first time and because I already know my excursions. My first trip to the E. Carrib. was the most exciting because I spent hours and hours searching through these boards and emailing tour operators trying to decide what was best for us. This time, the itinerary is less complicated (and since they dropped Key West, less exciting) so I have not had to do that. But every time I think about being on the ship again, I get excited. I would do the exact itinerary again in the E. Carrib. and just choose different shore trips because there is so much variety. Have you spent time researching your ports and finding something different to do?

DH & I have sailed the same ship several times. In fact, we sailed Carnival Valor in Nov./06 and again in April/07. Have never tired of sailing a ship a second or third time.

Have been to many of our ports as many as 5 times before. Never felt tired of visiting our favorite ports and always look forward to visiting them again when they are up on our next itinerary.

Doesn't matter how many times we've sailed a given ship or visited the ports on the ship's itinerary, we're always excited to get to the pier and embark on a new adventure.

So many ships at sea, so many excursions and adventures to enjoy. So little time to experience it all.

How could anyone who likes to cruise get bored?

Dianne

I have to agree with 98Charlie on this. We've been on the Dawn three times, and it has never been boring. We've repeated many ports, but there is always something different to do. You can't see an entire island in 6-10 hours, and sometimes we just like staying on the ship. Ports are not very important to us, but being on the ship is! We can always go on land vacations and spend time exploring.

You'll have a great time, Migglewump Fizzlebottom!!:D

Jackie

There is nothing like the feeling of the first one. Once you know what to expect you are more relaxed which leads to less excitement.

Our first 2 cruises were on the same ship and then the 3rd was on a sister ship but all were enjoyable.

Once you are there it will be great, enjoy.

We took our first cruise last year on the Pearl in Febuary. I was obsessed with going from the moment we booked. I couldn't quit thinking about it. I could tell anyone that would stand still long enough for me to bore exactly how many days to go at any given moment. By the "two weeks to go" mark, I was going nuts with anticipation. The cruise lived up to the hype, and we planned on coming back.

I'm at the "week and a half to go" mark, and I'm like "Eh, yeah, we're going." I realize I'm lucky to get to go and the freezing cold and snow the last week will make Cozumel that much better, but I'm just no where near as excited as I was last year.

I think its the "Been there, done that" problem. We are going on the same ship, almost the same ports. The only difference is Grand Cayman and an inside cabin instead of a balcony. I'm sure I'll have a good time, and I am looking forward to being warm for a week. But like most things in life, the first time is the most special.

Anyone else get this way or am I just nuts.

I'm sorry to say that Yes, you ARE nuts.

Just Kidding! Sorry, I couldn't resist.:p

As you can see from my signature we have been on the Glory and Explorer twice each. I think I felt the same way you do. It wasn't 'New & exciting'.

Not much excitement until we entered the port and beheld the ship. The excitement rushed right through me. I hope you experieince the same.

I did find that I was much more relaxed the 2nd time around. I knew where everything was on board, I was more comfortable at the ports as I had already been there and I liked doing the excursions we couldn't do the 1st time.

All in all I'm sure you will have a wonderful time :D

Are you stressed out, maybe even unknowingly? If you have all kinds of stuff you have to get done before you leave for the cruise for your family/job/house/packing etc. that can dampen the thrill a bit.

I am usually excited most of the year leading up to a trip but less so right before. At that point I am usually a bit overwhelmed worrying about getting things done.

No need to be concerned that you are not living up to your own expectations of how you should be feeling. Just change your expectations.

Don't worry. Be happy! :)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not worried about being bored or not living up to expectations. My wife does all the pre trip stuff. I just book the travel and show up at the airport.

I'm just surprised at how last year, I was so excited I couldn't stand it. The cruise was the only thing I could think about. This time, I'm just not that worked up. Most likely, because I know what to expect. I know the ship, I know the food, I know the port, I know the prices...etc.

I am looking forward to a warm week of relaxing. Its snowing right now. Snow makes my job much harder and more dangerous. So if I can hang on for another week and a half, I'll be able to take a break. That is something to get excited about.

Enjoy yourself and stop worrying! There's a lot to be said for knowing what to expect. So many of us are stressed by everyday events, we're barraged by constant news clips about our health, the state of our economy etc., etc., etc.

So, take comfort in being comfortable. An inside cabin will be a Zen state - quiet and dark (bring a nightlight). Enjoy the sun and re-supply your body's store of Vitamin D. Have a wonderful time!

Maybe it's knowing you're going from a balcony to an inside.

New stuff is always exciting. Y'all are doing different excursions this time, right? That's new. Having cruised on the ship already, I would think it would be nice to know the layout, the neat places to hang out, etc. I've never cruised on the same ship twice, but I probably will (pretty soon).

I get excited the minute I start planning a cruise -- drives my husband crazy. He just wants me to let him know a couple of days ahead of time so he can throw a few things in his suitcase. :D But once he gets there, he loves it.

So you tell us that it's snowing, and you're not jumping up and down, yelling "I'm going on a cruise! Yippee!" Come on! ;)

Gosh, then what about getting excited about something on the trip? How about planning something special with your wife that will surprise her? That way you can get excited about it. Maybe take her to the jewelry store? What about doing an excursion you would never think of doing? How about zip-lining in the jungle? Swim with the dolphins? Do you have a favorite song? What about searching for a song that you can dedicate to your wife while on board. Make a request and dedicate it to her. Maybe even sing it to her at karaoke...? Think of something to get excited about. Do you like to fish? Go deep sea fishing at one of the port stops. If that does not get you excited, then go to your nearest lingerie shop within the week and pick out something you would like your wife to wear one evening when you "retire" to that inside cabin! If none of the above excites you, then you need to...well, maybe you need to...oh, just google your issue. If everything you try fails, then I am afraid you just need to fake your enthusiam. If not, then you might end up like my husband...staying home while his wife cruises without him!

Seriously, I think you will be okay. Although you are on the same ship same itinerary, there will be different passengers/crew/entertainment to make it different. I went on the Sun five times and each time was different. I hope you write a review when you get back!

Coka

Are you stressed out, maybe even unknowingly? If you have all kinds of stuff you have to get done before you leave for the cruise for your family/job/house/packing etc. that can dampen the thrill a bit.

That's what is happening to me right now. There is a part of me that is so thrilled with my upcoming Hawaii cruise, but work is horrible and I'm actually stressing out about making sure we see and do everything once we get there.

Whether it is a visit to Asia, a supersonic flight, a parachute jump or a cruise, I think [just my opinion] that there is always a level of excitement that attends a first time for something which is never replicated subsequently. It can be enjoyable and pleasurable and fun and relaxing and all, but it can never be the first time again.

On our last cruise my Mom never got excited. I did not have enough time to be excited because it was so close to Christmas. That was my problem. The next one we are going later in January and that will help. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our first two (and only) cruises were on RCCL to the Carribbean (East and then West) and we had balcony cabins. I swear nothing will ever make up for that first port of call. As the ship pulled in close to dawn, I was in absolute awe. It was about 4:30 - 5:00 am and our balcony was on the port side and I could see the beautiful island with the palm trees and the lights on the island were still on at dusk, it was breathtaking.

We started to plan another cruise to the Carribean recently, and my husband commented on how blase I seemed about it. I had no excitement or anticipation at all, it was same old, same old. We looked at different lines, ships and a Southern cruise, but still nothing. Then it dawned on me that I was just sick of the Carribbean.

We started looking at Meditteranean cruises with NCL and then I got so incredibly excited again. I just needed to see something different. We still don't have it booked as I'm awaiting approval from work, but I'm so excited at the thought of a 13 day Med cruise, and on a line that will be new to us.

So I think I can relate. But then again I know if I had booked another Carribbean cruise even back on RCCL that when I got there I'd be super excited, and I'm sure you will feel the same way.

I live in Canada and we've been bombarded with extreme cold and tons of snow, so I can also relate to wanting to get away from that. Just think abut sunshine and heat and doing whatever you want every day for a while - heaven!

Have a great cruise, I'm sure you will love it once you are on there!

I just think it's the cold, the darkness, the post-holiday emptiness. I really don't like January and February; only my gardening catalogs keep my spirits up. I've been kidding co-workers that I need to be like that guy on "Northern Exposure" who had the hat that was supposed to get rid of SAD, only he used it so much he got hyper. I want that!:D

I was talking to my mother the other day about something like this. I was getting ready to fly to Hawaii the next day and I wasn't excited at all. I wasn't packing and just really didn't care. I went to starbucks and someone asked me when I was going back and I said "tomorrow i guess" and they were like WOW but it just wasnt anything special for me till I got to Hawaii then I was happpppppy.

Archived