avoiding corking fee in dining room

smilealot

That one I agree with - I've heard it directly from the Hotel Manager.

Well, I KNOW for fact that to be incorrect. OK maybe it is the case on HAL but I know it is not the case on all the other CCL owned cruise lines or with the RCCL cruise lines. Of course, you heard it from a Hotel Manager and I heard it from the VP of Operations of CCL. Now I wonder, who is more in the loop......

OK maybe it is the case on HAL but I know it is not the case on all the other CCL owned cruise lines or with the RCCL cruise lines.

Both can be true.

Which only goes to show what has been said so many times---that CCL lets it's various cruiselines run their own shows. No line can---or should attempt to be---all things to all people; there are still some differences among the lines.

For the savvy traveler, there are many ways to avoid a corkage fee when traveling on a cruise ship (however none that I would recommend)...

• Transfer your wine to a flask and keep it in your jacket pocket or purse. When the "coast is clear" go ahead and take a "nip." ;)
  • If traveling with a small child, (or "adopt" one from your dining table) you could prearrange to fill their bottle or sippy cup" with wine and strategically take a "nip" every now and then. However, be prepared for some concerned looks from your fellow diners. Caution: Make sure that the bottle or sippy cup does not get passed to the child! :eek:
  • Wear a camelback water system (popular among bikers and hikers) with your wine transferred to the dining room and have a swig when necessary. Be aware that on formal night that the camelback system may not appropriately match your formal attire! :(
  • Transfer your wine to a large liquid medicine bottle and inform your fellow diners that the contents are an "Old Home" remedy to help you digest your dinner. :D

• Store your wine bottle in the nearest restroom outside the restaurant in the toilet tank. The upside is that the water temperature in the tank keeps some wines properly chilled, the downside is that if you are a couple and sharing a bottle it's difficult for the other to obtain access to the restroom. :mad:

Seriously, I'm on a budget when I cruise and also don't like extra expenses. In addition, I like to travel with my own favorite wines. However, I do feel the corkage fee on HAL is fair and justified.

know you can bring your own wine for room consumption...any way to avoid the dining room corking fee

What is a Corkage Fee?

<snip>

A corkage fee is charged by a restaurant to patrons bringing their own wines to a meal. The corkage fee is usually minimal and is considered a convenience charge to the restaurant for opening and serving wines from outside their cellar.

The use of a corkage fee is widespread in many parts of the United States, especially heavy wine producers such as Napa County in California. The corkage fee is not designed to be a penalty for the diner and should not be viewed that way.

Many establishments offer scaled corkage fees depending on the type of wine brought in and how many bottles there are. Others may waive the corkage fee if customers order a bottle or two from the restaurant's wine list as well. If the wine needs special care, such as chilling or extra breathing time, make appropriate arrangements.

Wine is a major source of markup for restaurants, and loss of wine sales can depress earnings. For this reason, most restaurants charge a corkage fee equivalent to their cheapest bottle, to recoup at least some of the potential lost revenue. As a general rule, bring in a wine that is at least as expensive as the restaurant's cheapest offering.

When bringing in outside wines, it is considered common courtesy to offer the waiter, and sommelier, if the restaurant has one, a taste. Usually, the wines that diners bring in are special and unlikely to be on the wine list.

Bickering about the corkage fee is considered poor form – accept it with grace and enjoy your meal.

For the savvy traveler, there are many ways to avoid a corkage fee when traveling on a cruise ship (however none that I would recommend)...

• Transfer your wine to a flask and keep it in your jacket pocket or purse. When the "coast is clear" go ahead and take a "nip." ;)
  • If traveling with a small child, (or "adopt" one from your dining table) you could prearrange to fill their bottle or sippy cup" with wine and strategically take a "nip" every now and then. However, be prepared for some concerned looks from your fellow diners. Caution: Make sure that the bottle or sippy cup does not get passed to the child! :eek:
  • Wear a camelback water system (popular among bikers and hikers) with your wine transferred to the dining room and have a swig when necessary. Be aware that on formal night that the camelback system may not appropriately match your formal attire! :(
  • Transfer your wine to a large liquid medicine bottle and inform your fellow diners that the contents are an "Old Home" remedy to help you digest your dinner. :D
  • Store your wine bottle in the nearest restroom outside the restaurant in the toilet tank. The upside is that the water temperature in the tank keeps some wines properly chilled, the downside is that if you are a couple and sharing a bottle it's difficult for the other to obtain access to the restroom. :mad:

I love it!

Another way is to soak your towel with your favorite and carry it around with you. Any time your get the urge, just chew on your towel.

People will think you are just working out your frustrations and any extra fiber you injest will be a benefit.:D

The problem is actually created by HAL, not the passanger. HAL chargrs exhorbent fees for wine and mixed drinks, and the "corkage fee" is actually a punishment to the customer for not buying their wine which has a 700 percent mark up. If the fees were reasonable, I believe they would actually make more net profit, because more people would drink. And how many people travel to hotels and land tours dragging along their favorite cases of wine ???? /quote]

700% ?? :rolleyes: Isn't it more like 200-300% which most hotels & restaurants charge! Do you believe that you should be able to take a bottle of wine into a hotel, restaurant, or ships dining room, have them un-cork it & serve it to you & not expect to pay for that service.. I've paid a great deal more for wine & alcohol than either HAL or Oceania charges in Hotels through out the world..

I have never brought my own bottle of wine to dinner on any of the many cruises I've taken on Oceania and Princess. I order a bottle evert night. However, I will bring my own bottle of wine to dinner on my upcoming HAL cruise and pay the corkage. The HAL mark up is much higher than the other cruise lines. I think 100% is reasonable. But many of HALs mark ups are 300% or more.

I'm amazed at the hyperbolizing in these posts! In my opinion Cruise Lines & Hotels charge about the same for a bottle of wine.. And will compare HAL to Oceania from our bills (which I save)..

On HAL's "Prinsendam"to the Amazon, in April 2006 we purchased the 3 bottle wine package several times..It was $87.40 including the gratituity...No where near a 700% mark up! More like 100%-200%

On the Hal's Ryndam Nov. 2006 we purchased house red for $30.48 including the gratituity...Again not a 700% mark up...

We dis-embarked Oceania's "Regatta" to the Amazon last month..This is what we paid for wine:

Oceania's House White & House Red- usually Paid $34.22 each including the Grat. One eve. they only offered a House Red for 42.48 incl. the Grat...I was a bit put out at that..

Oceania's Corkage Fee was $20.00..And one day I forgot my own water & instead paid $3.54 for a bottle...From then on I made sure to take my own water..:) Betty

HAL chargrs exhorbent fees for wine and mixed drinks, and the "corkage fee" is actually a punishment to the customer for not buying their wine which has a 700 percent mark up.

If a person was really wealthy, they would be sailing on Crystal, Windstar, or one of the Luxury Ships, where drinks are free/gratis. :) :D ;)

I think you are trying to be funny.

What HAL charges for a mixed drink and /or wine is about the same as is charged in most restaurants and hotels.

Most BYOB restaurants impose a corkage fee on their customers.

Not all drinks, brands and wine are included in the price of a cruise on those few cruise lines that provide complimentary alchohol with their meals.

And interestingly enough, neither Crystal or Windstar includes wine or drinks in their fares.

HAL chargrs exhorbent fees for wine and mixed drinks, and the "corkage fee" is actually a punishment to the customer for not buying their wine which has a 700 percent mark up.

If a person was really wealthy, they would be sailing on Crystal, Windstar, or one of the Luxury Ships, where drinks are free/gratis. :) :D ;)

I think you are trying to be funny.

What HAL charges for a mixed drink and /or wine is about the same as is charged in most restaurants and hotels.

Most BYOB restaurants impose a corkage fee on their customers.

Not all drinks, brands and wine are included in the price of a cruise on those few cruise lines that provide complimentary alchohol with their meals.

And interestingly enough, neither Crystal or Windstar includes wine or drinks in their fares.

Archived