Black & White Ball - Maasdam Panama Canal

AECrowell

I searched earlier (recent) postings for information about the Black & White Balls, but I still don't entirely understand what it is or how it works on the S class ships.

Do you think it's likely the Maasdam will hold one for our 15-day Panama Canal Transit departing San Diego Feb. 9th? I know it's more likely to happen on a long cruise, so I'm hoping we'll have one. How can one tell ahead of time? Does the savvy cruiser always bring at least one black/white outfit with her for formal nights?

Where do they hold it on the Maasdam? Is it in the Crow's Nest? The showroom? Does everyone dance? Do the officers walk up to the passengers and ask them to dance? I don't believe I've ever been to a dance that included dance cards...

Is there a receiving line where the captain or his representative greets the passengers as they used to do?

I guess it's quite evident I'm a rookie, so I'd be interested in hearing descriptions of how this works!

We have had them on 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 22 and 23 day cruises.

The ball began in the show lounge at 10:30. As you entered, one the assistant CD's handed the ladies a dance cards. The captain was already on the stage on our last cruise dancing. Nearly all the officers are there, purser, hotel manager, guest relation's manager, area captains from the dining room. All go around asking the ladies to dance and signing their dance cards. This last one we went to wasn't as crowded as others that we have been to. A couple of prizes were given out. It was supposed to be over at 11:15 when most people go to the Crow's Nest for a drink. Our last one lasted until 11:30. Very few people showed up for that.

The lounge was decorated in black and white balloons - formed in an arch as you walked in and another arch on the stage. No decorations in the Crow's Nest.

Last year when I did the 17-day canal transit we had a Black & White dinner/dance. The dining room was decorated. Later, that evening the Captain and several officers in dress whites came to the Crow's Nest. The CD introduced the Captain and he had a first dance (actually with a cruise activity staff member) and then the officers did a few dances with the guests. There were a few bottles of champagne given out, if you were dancing with an officer who had a special envelope. There were no dance cards and the whole thing was over in about an hour or so. Not everyone was dressed in black & white, though many were.

The Black and White Ball is normally the Last Formal Night of the cruise. This was the tradition. But like with all the traditions on the ship, it can change. The Ball is held whenever and wherever the Hotel Man decides.

Or not at all. It's up to the senior crew on the ship.

We had a B&W on our 16-day Panama Canal Cruise. I wore a dressy black skirt (a cruise staple) and a beaded black & white top. If you look in the dept stores (Macy's, Dillard's, etc.) or even the off-price places (TJ Maxx, Marshalls) you could find something now w/ all the after holiday social dress sales going on, at a very reasonable or even extremely inexpensive price. Look in consignment shops or thrift shops too. If you find something there it probably has only been worn once or twice and is worth buying. The dinner & dance felt really elegant.

We had a black and white ball on our 7 day Oosterdam cruise. The Crow's Nest was decorated with black and white balloons. The Captain was introduced and ladies were invited to ask officers to dance. At the end of a dance, the DJ would ask which officer had the special prize envelope. there were about 4 envelopes during the hour long ball. The prize was champagne. It was held after our 2nd formal night. Many wore black or white but there were also other beautiful color dresses represented.

How do you know if there will be a Black & White Ball on a 7-day cruise? Will HAL notify ahead of time? I want to be sure to bring the right outfit - this sounds like a very neat event!

Liz

How do you know if there will be a Black & White Ball on a 7-day cruise? Will HAL notify ahead of time? I want to be sure to bring the right outfit - this sounds like a very neat event!

Liz

We have sailed quite a bit on HAL -- There has never been a Black and White Ball on any of our 7 or 10 day cruises -- sorry.

We had a black and white ball on our 7 day Oosterdam cruise. The Crow's Nest was decorated with black and white balloons. The Captain was introduced and ladies were invited to ask officers to dance. At the end of a dance, the DJ would ask which officer had the special prize envelope. there were about 4 envelopes during the hour long ball. The prize was champagne. It was held after our 2nd formal night. Many wore black or white but there were also other beautiful color dresses represented.

Yo -- Never heard of a Black and White Ball on a 7 or a 10 day cruise -- and we have sailed on HAL quite a bit!!

When was this??

It has been a while, but we have had Black and White Ball on ten day cruises. We had one on our Ryndam 14 day cruise and it was held in Crows Nest. It isn't common for a seven day cruise to have a Black and White Ball and yes......they are fun.

I've never seen dance cards at any that we have attended. Maybe they gave them out and I missed it but I know I have never had a dance card on HAL.

We have had them on 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 22 and 23 day cruises.

The ball began in the show lounge at 10:30. As you entered, one the assistant CD's handed the ladies a dance cards. The captain was already on the stage on our last cruise dancing. Nearly all the officers are there, purser, hotel manager, guest relation's manager, area captains from the dining room. All go around asking the ladies to dance and signing their dance cards. This last one we went to wasn't as crowded as others that we have been to. A couple of prizes were given out. It was supposed to be over at 11:15 when most people go to the Crow's Nest for a drink. Our last one lasted until 11:30. Very few people showed up for that.

The lounge was decorated in black and white balloons - formed in an arch as you walked in and another arch on the stage. No decorations in the Crow's Nest.

Sounds like a way to save the cost of dance hosts.

Archived